What is more important to you?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'd like both. 50/50.

I shoot with a 5D3+L bracket with pancakes, pickle jars and a 100-400mk2 and want to supplement that with smaller body ML body which takes all that glass with an EVF and a tilty flippy ...mostly for travel when with family and more more discreet events. I don't mind adapters but I want a viewfinder. So I wait.

Planning/location/company would care of the choice of which of these two kits for me.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
dak723 said:
Well, I sold my 6D to get the new M5, so I guess #2. And my other camera is a M4/3rds Olympus E-M1.

I am still hopeful that a new 6d II or mirrorless FF is on the horizon that will combine FF quality with smaller and lighter. Lighter is more important than smaller to me.

M6 seems to be a great size. Add couple small M zoom lenses, I think is a great outdoor combo.

I'm going to give Fuji x100f a try, since 35mm is my favorite FL. Otherwise, RX1R II is still my favorite body size without giving up IQ.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
I'm 54 now. As long as I can I will use FF. I really like the 1 and 5 series of Canon. To be honnest, I'm really addicted to FF. If I can't use the 1 or 5 series anymore due to its weight, I will look around for other FF like Sony Rx1. I don't expect that within the next 10 to 15 years. I hope the technology will improve also during that period so that FF quality can be achieved by lighter bodies. #1 as long as physical possible.

Upvote 0
Bit of both.

Fast to use, light and high quality, and a battery that lasts so long I can forget about it... even if I haven't charged it for a week the camera will still be ready. (I frame and pre-focus with the camera off/idle)

The 6D + mid primes & Eg-s screen is a great balance for me.

I'm 44 and getting fitter, weight is becomming less of a problem, but I'm only 10st so little things still feel heavy, I would not want to carry a 1DX

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Sorry Dylan but I don't understand the purpose of the question.
It is like you want to know what is important; photography or health?
Because, health is the only one reason I can think of, that would push me as a photographer to accept a photo of a lesser quality as described.
Health, war, and maybe law - but that is not a choice, that is a must and has nothing to do with importance.
I am fully convinced, that the moment I give importance to laziness over quality is the moment my photography begins to die.
You go the distance, you suffer the freeze, you control the temper - and all that for what? For a point and shoot quality? All that should be for improvement. You, on the other hand are trying to justify a degradation, and asking your fellow photographers to justify it for you, because the more of you are out there the more you believe that you do the right thing.
Watch out as I foresee it as the fastest way to the death of your photography, unless I really miss your question (or as I said - your body cannot handle it any longer - everybody will have to go through that sooner or later and it is not a choice).
#1 - until I cannot. I am 53 and pray to be able to continue for a long time.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Besisika said:
Sorry Dylan but I don't understand the purpose of the question.
It is like you want to know what is important; photography or health?
Because, health is the only one reason I can think of, that would push me as a photographer to accept a photo of a lesser quality as described.
Health, war, and maybe law - but that is not a choice, that is a must and has nothing to do with importance.
I am fully convinced, that the moment I give importance to laziness over quality is the moment my photography begins to die.
You go the distance, you suffer the freeze, you control the temper - and all that for what? For a point and shoot quality? All that should be for improvement. You, on the other hand are trying to justify a degradation, and asking your fellow photographers to justify it for you, because the more of you are out there the more you believe that you do the right thing.
Watch out as I foresee it as the fastest way to the death of your photography, unless I really miss your question (or as I said - your body cannot handle it any longer - everybody will have to go through that sooner or later and it is not a choice).
#1 - until I cannot. I am 53 and pray to be able to continue for a long time.

Hi Besisika,
No health issue here at all. Just want to see CR members prefer which systems work well for them.

The convenience of lighter and smaller camera works well for me. I went to local mountain to catch some snow from last major storm here California. I could have went with my a7rII + 2470GM and 70200GM. Instead, I went with my xt2+35f2+90f2. I was still able to catch all actions and memories with my kids through smaller and lighter system. Now, looking back at those photos. I said to myself I could do it with just 1" sensor camera(pocketable).

Attachments

• _DSF1065.jpg
    _DSF1065.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 196
  • _DSF1075.jpg
    _DSF1075.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Dylan777 said:
Hi Besisika,
No health issue here at all. Just want to see CR members prefer which systems work well for them.

The convenience of lighter and smaller camera works well for me. I went to local mountain to catch some snow from last major storm here California. I could have went with my a7rII + 2470GM and 70200GM. Instead, I went with my xt2+35f2+90f2. I was still able to catch all actions and memories with my kids through smaller and lighter system. Now, looking back at those photos. I said to myself I could do it with just 1" sensor camera(pocketable).
Got it! The smaller can do an acceptable quality then. In that case I agree.
But I still prefer bigger, if I can carry it. I just hate regretting. It happened to me few times between the 70-200 vs 100-400II, even this morning. But I was on a different shoot and something else happen on my way and I didn't have the right lens.
I will go back there tomorrow and fix the mistake.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think a large part of the question boils down to your intended end use.

If you are shooting family style record images that rarely get printed above 16" x 124" then few people 'need' more than m4/3 or APS. If you are shooting professionally for 24" x 36" prints you might be able to scrape by with a 135 format "FF". If you do both and everything in between then a selection of options makes most sense.

I don't have kids and own a 24" printer, I scrape by with FF. I am going to take an actual vacation in June so am thinking of getting an M5 to use for that...

Upvote 0
Having light equipment is fairly important to me just because I hate carrying extra weight while traveling - feels like work when I'm meant to be enjoying myself. Though I also appreciate good IQ! That's why I have a 6D as my FF and M2 as my mirrorless.

Recently I've been using the M2 more than FF as it offers more freedom and I can pack it along with me while hiking or cycling. So when photography is 2nd priority I prefer lighter equipment. I also use it for exploring and scouting locations for future shoots.

It's not that my FF gear is heavy it's just I really have to plan a shoot and really want to use it. Takes longer to prep and so not likely to be used when time is limited. The M2 is always ready to go whereas the 6D requires bag changes, L bracket on/off, strap choice etc.

So 30% #1 and 70% #2 would be my guess without looking at my Lr catalog.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a big camera and a small one. The 1GX II is convenient to travel with, but when I compare images with those from my 5D MK III, well, there is no comparison. So, its a quandry.

As far as DSLR's go, a excellent lens is more of a factor in overall size than the body. You have to reduce sensor size or aperture to get smaller.

I am probably not typical, I have large hands, and neuropathy means my ability to feel small buttons or turn small controls gets worse every year. I glued a button to the top of my shutter release for the MK III so I can feel it.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Dylan777 said:
What is more important to you?

1. Larger & Heavier FF gear that give higher quality photos

OR

2. Smaller & lighter crop(1" etc...) gear that you enjoy carry and capture those special moments.

Never thought about my gear this way...

Use? Do I want MF, FF or less? Do I shoot digital, film, or instant? Or any combo?

Weight and size are pretty much inconsequential in my decision... I need to feel confident in the camera's I use. The ones I own, I own because they work and work well. I chose dependant on need/want and deal with the weight and size as a consequence...

Upvote 0