What is more important to you?

Jan 22, 2012
Whenever I feel like the shots would be 'important' I carry my 1dx2 and heavy lenses. But when with family, holiday etc I VERY MUCH prefer lighter gear.

The IQ of lighter gear has become very very very good now. I think it is basically the insecurity of missing out on shots and needing full frame for low light conditions that make me carry the 1dx2.

I think soon - very soon - I will be confident of the lighter gear.

Upvote 0
I have an assortment of FF & crop. After getting the M5, I find myself carrying it more often than the FF's- it's a fun camera to use and the quality is pretty darn good. My old 7D is getting lonesome.
My 5DS only leaves home if there is a distinct need for extreme resolution. The 5D Mark IV is insanely good and is the primary shooter for events.
At 67, the body knows I hid the FF gear in the backpack.

My wife wanted a photo of a basket she just finished, so this is basically a "snapshot" with the M5.
After she saw the photo, she wants an M5. LOL
Kit 15-45 at ISO 1600 handheld

Canon M5 test photo © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0
I don´t have a crop camera or a mirrorless, so I am disqualified from that category. Weight has (almost) never been an issue I have allowed to influence what I use, as long as I have room. I may swap the 1DX-II and 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x for the 5DIV (fantastic camera) and the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II and a 1.4xIII extender.

Instead of going lighter, I have gone heavier. On Friday I picked up a Hasselblad H6D 100c, with three lenses (35, 80 ans 150). I have been on the verge of going medium format a long time and when Edward/eml58 sent me a couple of raw-files from his latest Japan trip, I was very impressed. My weak character caved in and the order was sent.

My Zeiss lenses and the 5DSR are now up for sale.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Dylan777 said:

1. Larger & Heavier FF gear that give higher quality photos

OR

2. Smaller & lighter crop(1" etc...) gear that you enjoy carry and capture those special moments.

I'm 65% on #2 at this time in my life.

Its all about the image. #1.

Scott

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
dak723 said:
I don't think it is necessarily a question of photography or health - but rather which works better for each person and allows them to go out and shoot. The idea that using a crop camera rather than FF will necessarily result in photos of lesser quality or a "degradation" is so ignorant that it almost needs no response. But it is the usual snobbery that is often found on forums such as this one. The idea that someone using a smaller and lighter camera is guilty of "laziness" is also quite insulting. Maybe you can't take a high quality photo without using a FF camera, but many of us are quite capable.
Sorry if I offended you, didn't mean to.
I never brought the idea of FF vs crop. I addressed the idea of getting the shot vs high quality. If smaller, crop factor, gear gives you better result because you are capable then be my guest. You use indeed the best gear for the job.
However, if I decide to go for a lesser quality because I don't want to carry the luggage then I will call it laziness.
But I think, Dylan already cleared that, by stating that smaller gear can deliver him the quality he needs so I think he is doing the right thing. For me, it is about the quality, not the shot.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
At 67 when I carry heavy gear up a mountain and get some great shots, magically the gear becomes much lighter. If my choice was wrong or there is little to shoot then on the way down, the gear is too heavy. Although I'm not very good, I am a perfectionist at heart so that means taking the highest quality equipment if possible but that will no doubt change with age. 600 or 800 mm is not going to get lighter, regardless.

Jack

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I'm 52 (and counting), and if my financial status allowed it I would go all out FF. I carry almost all lenses with me when I'm out, and the camera will be carried in hand. So far no problems with that. When you see me your first thought won't be "Oh, he's muscular and fit to carry all that!", but I refuse to give in and I try to give myself short breaks when I get exhausted.

As I get older I expect to get wiser and more confident so that I will be able to shoot the same kind of birds and wildlife, but with shorter/lighter lenses at closer distances. The skills should be in my head, and the technical abilities in the camera.

Option #1 all day, every day.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
This is a topic I have thought about on many occasions, and for a long period of time. My answer is 'APS-C'. I am a middle aged guy, around average body and hand size. Reasonable level of fitness, slightly weaker than the average guy, yet I have good stamina.

Currently my main used gear is the Canon 7D with 15-85mm. A great all purpose kit. I own the Sigma 8-16mm UWA, as well as the Canon 70-300mm L. Occasionally though, I opt for lighter solutions, e.g. my Canon 700D with 10-18mm STM IS (noticably lighter than the 7D with Siggy 8-16mm).

I have taken my wife's Sony RX100 camera on occasion where I needed a 'small, very portable' solution. Its image quality is actually very decent, but its handling really sucks compared to a DSLR. I am keeping an eye out for mirrorless solutions (similar IQ to APS-C, yet affordable and hopefully something Canon can add to it's current EOM lineup). I was quite excited to see the M5 (and M6). I'll stay tuned for future developments.

Yet I still so much ENJOY the feel and handling of DSLRs. Mirrorless will certainly soon improve on certain aspects of DSLRs. Cheers,

PJ

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Dylan777 said:

1. Larger & Heavier FF gear that give higher quality photos

OR

2. Smaller & lighter crop(1" etc...) gear that you enjoy carry and capture those special moments.

I'm 65% on #2 at this time in my life.

For me, both have their place. But if forced to choose, I'd say #1. The IQ is truly like no other. At this point I'm willing to carry the weight (and spend the $...) to get the extra quality. That choice is justified almost every time I look at the results afterward! But, that being said, the M-series cameras can be a godsend at times as I learned the hard way some time ago that having a large DSLR as my ONLY camera was actually limiting me in strange ways...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Glad to hear the majority still in favor of FF + higher quality lenses.

I was in same position few years back. Thought I would give smaller and lighter system a try, it turned out smaller and lighter system in my favor over FF DSLR - EXCEPT, when I mount 2470GM + 70200GM on my A7.

I still have some old photos taken with my very 1st Canon DSLR combo 40D + 50f1.4 back in 2008. I'm amazed how much sensor has improved since.

Enjoy your weekend everyone :)

Dylan

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Dylan777 said:
I still have some old photos taken with my very 1st Canon DSLR combo 40D + 50f1.4 back in 2008. I'm amazed how much sensor has improved since.

I don't feel the same. I recently tested a 1DX MkII against my 1DS MkIII from 2007, the differences in sensor IQ at base ISO were minimal, sure there were vast differences in AF, customization, high iso capabilities etc etc. But base ISO sensor IQ was remarkably similar.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Dylan777 said:

I don't feel the same. I recently tested a 1DX MkII against my 1DS MkIII from 2007, the differences in sensor IQ at base ISO were minimal, sure there were vast differences in AF, customization, high iso capabilities etc etc. But base ISO sensor IQ was remarkably similar.

Hi Scott,
This is Fuji xt2 @ 4000ISO, about +10NR in LR. Natural light - my youngest ;)

Attachments

• _DSF1831.jpg
    _DSF1831.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Dylan777 said:
privatebydesign said:
Dylan777 said:

Hi Scott,

And that is a lovely family picture, shot well above base iso.

If you need the iso because of sensor size and comparatively slow equivalence lenses newer sensors can't be beat, the iso improvements are not limited to a single advantage. You can take that improvement and turn it into a smaller camera you are more likely to have with you or are more inclined to use; you can use it for a faster shutter speed or more dof etc etc. None of that changes my original point, the improvements in base iso sensor IQ have been modest over the last ten years.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Dylan777 said:
privatebydesign said:
Dylan777 said:

Hi Scott,

And that is a lovely family picture, shot well above base iso.

If you need the iso because of sensor size and comparatively slow equivalence lenses newer sensors can't be beat, the iso improvements are not limited to a single advantage. You can take that improvement and turn it into a smaller camera you are more likely to have with you or are more inclined to use; you can use it for a faster shutter speed or more dof etc etc. None of that changes my original point, the improvements in base iso sensor IQ have been modest over the last ten years.

Thanks Scott, just one of those snap away shots around the house.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Interesting question! It probably deserves a poll :)

All I personally care is to do not miss a shot. The size is not important for me, but AF is (not sure if that's a part of the "quality" option?). I'm not a professional photographer, mostly taking pics of my kids. When they were little, I could do it easily with the original a7r and the Otus 85 manual focus lens. When the kids grown up a little and became more active, I went from MF to AF, and Sony released the second gen A7r. It was generally faster + an improved AF, but still not much compared to a regular DSLR. So I got a 5dsr + 70-200 f/2.8 II. In spite of the same 5fps the AF was substantially better and since then I mostly shoot Canon. My to-go system is the 1dx2 + 70-200. I'm an average person, but have no problems to carry a 1d-style body plus a "big white" like a 200/2 or 300/2.8 all day long. It was ok to handhold the 600/4 for a couple of hours but I must admit the tracking works much better when it's mounted on a gimbal :) I also had to cancel my pre-order of the poor's man medium format Fuji GFX when realized that's going to be the same ol' slow A7r but with slightly a larger sensor...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Jopa said:
Interesting question! It probably deserves a poll :)

All I personally care is to do not miss a shot. The size is not important for me, but AF is (not sure if that's a part of the "quality" option?). I'm not a professional photographer, mostly taking pics of my kids. When they were little, I could do it easily with the original a7r and the Otus 85 manual focus lens. When the kids grown up a little and became more active, I went from MF to AF, and Sony released the second gen A7r. It was generally faster + an improved AF, but still not much compared to a regular DSLR. So I got a 5dsr + 70-200 f/2.8 II. In spite of the same 5fps the AF was substantially better and since then I mostly shoot Canon. My to-go system is the 1dx2 + 70-200. I'm an average person, but have no problems to carry a 1d-style body plus a "big white" like a 200/2 or 300/2.8 all day long. It was ok to handhold the 600/4 for a couple of hours but I must admit the tracking works much better when it's mounted on a gimbal :) I also had to cancel my pre-order of the poor's man medium format Fuji GFX when realized that's going to be the same ol' slow A7r but with slightly a larger sensor...

I would have it on pre-order if the body size is similar to Hass x1d. Feel like is a bit thick

Upvote 0