What is that dot on the 5D3?

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You can find it on page 18 of your manual, and in the manual of all those other cameras too.

The thing they have in common is a IR remote control, and that's the sensor that picks up the IR beam from the remote.

learn something every day I thought it was the outer red lens spot on the camera that was the ir port as well as the self timer light

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You can find it on page 18 of your manual, and in the manual of all those other cameras too.

The thing they have in common is a IR remote control, and that's the sensor that picks up the IR beam from the remote.
I long forgot that an infrared remote was an option. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
bmwzimmer said:
Pretty useless these days. Make wifi standard and do remote shooting from your smartphone.

Given you have to connect and it drains the battery on both devices, I love the idea of wifi/smartphone combos but in practise only use it for image review or remote liveview.. Having a small very light thing to carry around as an easy remote trigger is great in my view.

Upvote 0
Otara said:
bmwzimmer said:
Pretty useless these days. Make wifi standard and do remote shooting from your smartphone.

Given you have to connect and it drains the battery on both devices, I love the idea of wifi/smartphone combos but in practise only use it for image review or remote liveview.. Having a small very light thing to carry around as an easy remote trigger is great in my view.

I used wifi live view shooting via my iPad and 6D and got about 200 shots before I had to change batteries (on the camera). Not great. IR still has it's use IMO.

Upvote 0