What is that dot on the 5D3?

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
What is that dot on the grip of most EOS bodies where the second finger rests? See the photo below. It's on bodies from the SL1 up through the new 5D's. It's even on my old XT. But, I don't see it on the low end models.

Attachments

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
Sep 8, 2014
FTb-n said:
What is that dot on the grip of most EOS bodies where the second finger rests? See the photo below. It's on bodies from the SL1 up through the new 5D's. It's even on my old XT. But, I don't see it on the low end models.
I don't know but its my t1i body as well

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
You can find it on page 18 of your manual, and in the manual of all those other cameras too.

The thing they have in common is a IR remote control, and that's the sensor that picks up the IR beam from the remote.

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
Sep 8, 2014
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You can find it on page 18 of your manual, and in the manual of all those other cameras too.

The thing they have in common is a IR remote control, and that's the sensor that picks up the IR beam from the remote.
learn something every day I thought it was the outer red lens spot on the camera that was the ir port as well as the self timer light

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Mt Spokane Photography said:

I long forgot that an infrared remote was an option. Thanks.

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
Sep 8, 2014
bmwzimmer said:
Pretty useless these days. Make wifi standard and do remote shooting from your smartphone.
I have tried to use the canon wireless phone remote works 50% of the time and it starts live view on the camera well at least with the 70-d

Otara

EOS RP
Jul 16, 2012
bmwzimmer said:
Pretty useless these days. Make wifi standard and do remote shooting from your smartphone.
Given you have to connect and it drains the battery on both devices, I love the idea of wifi/smartphone combos but in practise only use it for image review or remote liveview.. Having a small very light thing to carry around as an easy remote trigger is great in my view.

Zv

EOR R
Sep 23, 2012
www.flickr.com
Otara said:
bmwzimmer said:
Given you have to connect and it drains the battery on both devices, I love the idea of wifi/smartphone combos but in practise only use it for image review or remote liveview.. Having a small very light thing to carry around as an easy remote trigger is great in my view.

I used wifi live view shooting via my iPad and 6D and got about 200 shots before I had to change batteries (on the camera). Not great. IR still has it's use IMO.

Valvebounce

EOS 5D SR
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I really love the IR remote for its sheer convenience, and missed the functionality when I went from the 300D to the 40D, glad it came back on the 7D. Why have they stopped making the neat RC-1 that fits on the strap and gone to the thing like a key fob, seems a backward step to me.

Cheers, Graham.