What is the next Canon lens you want or covet and why...

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2011
Next one I'm looking at is a good walkaround "wide-angle" lens for my 6D - probably the 16-35. Wide-angle coverage is the only thing missing in my collection (besides a couple of 24mm zooms). Tried the 17-40 and was completely unimpressed (soft...). Actually the 16-35 didn't blow me away either. But at the same time, the wide end opens up possibilities...

I'm guessing the sacrifice made in UWA lenses is sharpness?
_________

As for "pipe dream" lenses, the 85 1.2 is on the list...a good 50mm lens as well (tried to like the 1.2, but couldn't get a sharp shot with it to save my life...and the 1.4 is quite old now)...and I hope a good 35 or 50mm EF-M mount lens (with IS) comes out as well.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
mrsfotografie said:
At the moment I'm done buying stuff... finally :)

Hope this feeling lasts!

I keep saying to myself, Alexander wept for when he looked upon the breadth of this empire, there were no more worlds to conquer... and it's kinda true... yes I want a fast prime, but I really need one... I'm just wanting to spend some cash... It feels weird considering 4.5 years ago I bought a canon xs with the 18-55 kit and the 75-300...

Upvote 0
I covet my neighbor's lens ... because I am weak.
smiley.gif

But I'd seriously like the 85 f/1.2, because I love tight portraits and bokeh. I also like doing stitched panoramas for 100+Mpix landscape shots, and I currently use my 70-200 for that, but I have a feeling that the 85 would be sharper (but it might be hair splitting, I don't know, especially given the resolution of the resulting picture).

Upvote 0
tron said:
mrsfotografie said:
At the moment I'm done buying stuff... finally :)

Hope this feeling lasts!
If you let us know which lenses you have we would be delighted to relieve you of that feeling ;D ;D ;D

Ok I challenge you to give it a go, at the moment I feel I've covered every need I have in my style of photography. Body-wise I use the 7D for sports and zoo/wildlife, the 5D2 for everything else. (No sense in upgrading bodies - these two are a perfect match). I have grips for both and like the flexibility of being able to remove the grip when I need to reduce bulk. When I need something small I use my NEX-6. And I still have my old 400D when I need something expendable.

I'm not into portraiture or studio / product photography, and although I have a monopod and a tripod I don't like to carry them around unless I really have to. I have a Metz flash but very rarely use it. Portability and speed of operation is important for me, especially when traveling. Macro photography is limited to butterflies and the like and I find I'm using my 70-200L + extender for this more often than the 90 mm Tamron.

Lens-wise I have a nice range of L-zooms and some really satisfactory third-party primes to suit my needs, plus the old canon 35 and 50 mm for travel or small size. The 17-40 and 24-105 are great for travel and general use. I have no need for longer or faster lenses. For example the 100-400 is my motorsports lens, and for that purpose I tend to stop it down to f/9 - f/11. In long lenses I really prefer a zoom because a prime is too limiting. When I need something small/light, I've a few alternative (non-L) zooms as well to suit both full frame and/or crop.

Note that having just replaced my car helps me emphasize the need to cut down a little on photography related expenditure though... (oh wait I just upgraded the most expensive accessory - I frequently use my car to go somewhere and take photo's :p)

Here's my lens line-up:

35mm Prime:

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical
Sigma 20mm F1.8 DG Aspherical RF
Canon EF 35mm f/2.0
Voigtländer 40mm f/2 Ultron SL-II + close-up lens
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1

35mm 'L' zoom:

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM + Canon Extender EF 1.4x II
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Lightweight zoom:

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2,8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD

Canon EOS 400D 'kit':

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II

Sony NEX-6 'kit':

Sony E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
neuroanatomist said:
mrsfotografie said:
At the moment I'm done buying stuff...

I....

Just......

Don't.......

Understand...........

???

Exactly, my thoughts as well, how is that possible ?, your a Photographer ?, your never done buying new gear, it's built into the gene pool.

I just picked up my 200-400 10 days ago, So I'm all Coveted out.......Well, I only have 2 x 600RT's, maybe a 3rd would help, some how, some where.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
neuroanatomist said:
mrsfotografie said:
At the moment I'm done buying stuff...

I....

Just......

Don't.......

Understand...........

???

Exactly, my thoughts as well, how is that possible ?, your a Photographer ?, your never done buying new gear, it's built into the gene pool.

I just picked up my 200-400 10 days ago, So I'm all Coveted out.......Well, I only have 2 x 600RT's, maybe a 3rd would help, some how, some where.

Well I did say 'At the moment...' ;)

Have fun with your 200-400! It's a cool lens, sub-zero in fact (but outside my budget and fortunately also outside my photography scope).

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Don Haines said:

that is a great little lens. for about three years it was my favorite lens. now I have three L lenses and a fisheye, and while they are excellent, most of my photos that hang on the wall are from that one hundred dollar plastic lens. but part of that might be laziness about printing out new prints and framing them.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Don Haines said:

that is a great little lens. for about three years it was my favorite lens. now I have three L lenses and a fisheye, and while they are excellent, most of my photos that hang on the wall are from that one hundred dollar plastic lens. but part of that might be laziness about printing out new prints and framing them.

It is, and the Mk I is even better, mostly in build quality.

Attachments

• ef_50_18.jpg
    ef_50_18.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 735
Upvote 0
Some ind of wideangle, preferably L lens oh and of course i need the FF body first too...

I really like the 24mm 1.4 L II but im hesitating since im mostly doing portrait/people photos and not sure if 24mm is too wide for this. Well ive seen really nice portaits taken with it..argh..no idea :)

also wondering if i should get 25mm f2 (no IS) for my APS-C or if it sucks compared to 50mm 1.8 II regarding IQ :eek:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.