What is this banding in the sky?

I just have never seen clouds with that pattern before - narrow straight lines. I will admit I live in the southern Arizona desert where the days are cloudless more often than not.

I got a brief phone message from my photo lab saying it looks like clouds and they cannot retouch it and keep it looking good/natural. So I guess I will live with it or figure out how to minimize it (reduce contrast in sky?).

I do think in this particular example the pattern is somewhat harsh - much more so than the couple sample photos that have been posted by others. But I appreciate the responses so at least now I know it is not due to anything I did or to any camera issues.

Upvote 0
LINES BE GONE!!! I don't care if it's a natural phenomenon, the banding was too distinct and it was driving me nuts. After playing with several methods, I found one that works to my satisfaction. (Some of you may prefer the original and that's fine, or you may just think it's a boring photo either way, which is fine too). If you are curious about my process read on, but if not stop here.

I enhanced the general contrast etc to make it pop using Nik Viveza (inside of Photoshop Elements 12). As most of you know, Nik filters show up as a layer above the unfiltered background (original photo). I then erased the sky on the Viveza layer (leaving the rocks and balloons). I put the color selector on one of the darker bands of the sky to choose that color. Selecting the base layer (of which only the sky would show through), I used the paint bucket at a moderate amount (around 25% I think) and poured it onto a light band of sky. It was enough to fill the entire sky with that color. Side effect is it makes the sky too smooth/fake, so I went back into PSE12 and added noise to base layer (again of which only sky shows through).

Attachments

• sky noise.jpg
    sky noise.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
LINES BE GONE!!! I don't care if it's a natural phenomenon, the banding was too distinct and it was driving me nuts. After playing with several methods, I found one that works to my satisfaction. (Some of you may prefer the original and that's fine, or you may just think it's a boring photo either way, which is fine too). If you are curious about my process read on, but if not stop here.

I enhanced the general contrast etc to make it pop using Nik Viveza (inside of Photoshop Elements 12). As most of you know, Nik filters show up as a layer above the unfiltered background (original photo). I then erased the sky on the Viveza layer (leaving the rocks and balloons). I put the color selector on one of the darker bands of the sky to choose that color. Selecting the base layer (of which only the sky would show through), I used the paint bucket at a moderate amount (around 25% I think) and poured it onto a light band of sky. It was enough to fill the entire sky with that color. Side effect is it makes the sky too smooth/fake, so I went back into PSE12 and added noise to base layer (again of which only sky shows through).

I'm glad you found peace, but maybe accept that the world doesn't always look how you imagine, and that's okay.

Upvote 0