What laptop do you use for photo editing?

Jemlnlx

Itchy shutter finger...
I have a Lenovo y700 (4K, i7-6700HQ, 16GB Ram, 256 GB SSD and GTX 960 4GB Video Card) which I use for casual gaming, photo editing and minor video editing. Due to sub-par color accuracy I sometimes connect it to my external monitor (QHD) for editing. I am looking into getting a new laptop for editing. I was thinking of the XPS 15 - 4K (maybe), i7, 16GB, 512 SSD, 1050Ti.

Does anyone have any experience with using Dell XPS laptops for photo editing? Is the 4K worth it? If not, what do you use? Any recommendations?

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
laptops in general have weak displays. I haven't heard that Dell is any different. 4K does not equal good color.

The Microsoft Surface tablets are known for good displays.

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
When I´m looking for an new laptop, I look at https://www.notebookcheck.net . At their tests, you can see a lot of features, the display shows (brightness, -distribution, contrast, responese time,colour accuracy, PWM, colour space...).
At the moment, I´m using an Dell XPS15 from 2017. But thinking of switching to am Macbook pro, if the 2018 issues are fixed

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
When I´m looking for an new laptop, I look at https://www.notebookcheck.net . At their tests, you can see a lot of features, the display shows (brightness, -distribution, contrast, responese time,colour accuracy, PWM, colour space...).
At the moment, I´m using an Dell XPS15 from 2017. But thinking of switching to am Macbook pro, if the 2018 issues are fixed
What are the 2018 issues?

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
i also use a dell xps15 from 2017 with the 4k display and the colors look great. i've also printed photos and the colors don't differ from the screen

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D SR
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
laptops in general have weak displays. I haven't heard that Dell is any different. 4K does not equal good color.
Truth! Viewing my photos on my desktop display, and then viewing on my wife's laptop, is like night and day. Huge difference. A good display is worth the $$$ and really isn't that expensive. I just got lucky with mine (ASUS).

LDS

EOR R
Sep 14, 2012
The Microsoft Surface tablets are known for good displays.
Some Dell laptops do offer 4K displays that are rated covering the whole AdobeRGB color space. Other brands I guess will offer similar displays as well - usually on the more expensive models. Properly calibrated, they could offer a simpler alternative to specific external monitors - albeit the latter are designed from the ground app for this kind of use, and will offer more.

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
2018 MBP yet edit with ext Dell Ultrasharp display, it's pretty good but doesn't play nice with my colormunki. I'm always keeping my eye out for something better.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
I have a 2018 MBP, 6 core 2.9 GHz i9 processor, Vega 20 GPU, 32GB ram, 2TB HDD, I have zero issues running a 100,000 image Lightroom library with all images stored internally via Smart Preview and all full res files stored on a bus powered 2.5” drive for if i need them. I edit video (though not much) via a Sandisk 2TB Extreme Portable.

I have zero issues and the speed increase of all operations moving from a 2016 top of the line MBP is noticeable. I put it down to having a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 workflow, but I really dont know as I am not a computer expert.

I just finished my first 3 month ‘road trip’ with USB-C and I have to say I love it, my gimbal, headphones (noise cancelling B&W PX that I highly recommend) GoPro, drone, laptop, iPad, card reader, bus powered HDD’s etc all work with one cable! Absolutely the best travelers upgrade for years.

Last edited: