What lens would you buy.. if You....

Masa@CanonRMRs

May the EOS be with you.
Apr 13, 2015
Japan
Let's change the point of view.

Don't bother try to find light-weight-superb-quality-long-range-lense.
Let's improve your skill of crawling-forward.

Wear camouflaged clothes.
Paint your face camouflaged.
Lie down on the ground and crawl toward the target very,very slowly.

Don't make a sound.
Move a foot per hour.

This case, you don't need a supertelephoto lense for birds.

Caution: If you make birds fly away, you'll get hundreds of boos and stones from behind, lol.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Jim,
I was thinking the same as far as handholding goes. Any comparison to the IQ of the 200-400 ?

I would buy the 400 5.6 MK II when it comes out. Present version without the IS would be useless for me. Rebel is not an option

Masa
Thanks for those extreme suggestions but I am not as dedicated as you! Will look for easier alternatives.

Thanks to you all.

Dholai

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Dholai said:
.. Shoot wildlife and birds

...already have 200-400 F4L
....600 mmF4L MKII
... 70-200 2.8L MK II

... to be used with

..1Dx
..7D MK II
..5DsR

And...
You can not handhold a camera with most lenses due to physical condition but want a lighter lens to try without compromising image quality ???

I have carpal tunnel, and now, they have found a pinched nerve in my neck that prevents my right hand from holding heavy objects. I sold my 1D MK IV and 600mm f/4, and use a 100-400mm MK II. I had the 400mm f/5.6, and the 300mm f/4 as well, but they have too many drawbacks so I sold them. Now I use a 5D MK III and the 100-400mm MK II, as the best I can get away with holding, or using with a monopod when its for more than just a few minutes.

I do lose IQ over the big whites, life is full of compromises.

Upvote 0
Figure out the best combination for weight and steady hands for yourself.

Then, learn to shoot the photos you CAN, and forget the ones you CAN'T. Too many photographers try to get shots that are near impossible given the physical capacity of humans. A photographer can try for the impossible or unlikely shots and miss ones that are truly remarkable, but closer. Think INSIDE the box ... or as was also suggested - get yourself inside the box.

I'm not suggesting all distant shots are impossible or worthless, or no one should challenge his/her skills in that realm. But, we can get caught up in distance and ignore what's right beside us.

Upvote 0
If your problems are arms, neck and/or back, there are options where you may still be able to carry your long whites. I am using a flag bandoleer as a carrying harness. A solid belt, which leaves most of the weight on your hips and good shoulder straps for added support. Below are a couple of pictures from when I originally got it.

I have made some improvements since then. I have broader shoulder straps, for better support and I use a Benro Gimbal GH1P head, which is both small and functional. The gimbal head makes it a lot easier to balance the lens and camera, than with the RRS monopod head. I have also attached two straps from the shoulder straps to the camera, so I am able to leave it just hanging, while I operate another camera. While walking, I just tilt the lens downwards and carry it next to my body.

I can walk around with this for days with no problem.

Attachments

• Canon 600 w flagbandoleer I.jpg
    Canon 600 w flagbandoleer I.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I had the 400mm f/5.6, and the 300mm f/4 as well, but they have too many drawbacks so I sold them. Now I use a 5D MK III and the 100-400mm MK II

Would you mind expanding on the drawbacks compared to the zoom? I have been comparing these three lenses as regards getting the 400 or the 100-400 for bird photography and would value your feedback. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your inputs.
Sorry, could not come back earlier- work load!
The main reason I want it is the handheld shooting but at the same time I don't want to compromise the quality MUCH! That is why I need your input. I know I have the big whites but I miss a lot of shots as they are always tripod mounted.
The advantage of lifting a camera and instantly shooting an action resulting in a memorable moment can not be overstated, right?
I am seriously considering 100-400 MK II. Have used the original version- did not like it a bit at 5.6 ! Is this one significantly better?
Is 400 5.6MK II coming up anytime soon ?
Eldar,
Nice set up. May actually try something like this. How free is the angle of rotation and inclination?

Thanks

Dholai

Thanks guys

Upvote 0
Dholai said:
Eldar,
Nice set up. May actually try something like this. How free is the angle of rotation and inclination?
The limitation of the rig is that you need to set the hight where you want it, simply by adjusting the monopod. You can still cover a fair vertical angle by bending forward or backward, but to be comfortable, you should set the angle you want. Rotation is pretty much as if you handhold the lens.

I can shoot anything from down a hill, to straight forward, to follow birds in trees or birds in flight, almost straight up, with all weight carried around the hip, with some on the shoulders. It is easy to remove all weight from the shoulders or limit to just one, if that is an issue.

With the gimbal head it is easier to balance the lens/camera, but your carrying situation is less good, since the lens don't tilt down completely, but rests against the foot of the gimbal head. I have padded that point to avoid damage to the lens.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
Eldar, nice setup. Did you make a custom belt attachment? One thing I considered in the past is a marching band flagpole carrier belt or a sport-fish fishing rod carrier belt.

Cotton Carrier has a chest-mounted item called the Steady Shot.
The belt shown in the image is a standard flag bandoleer, bought online at:

http://www.flagg.no/flaggshop/fane-banner-bandoler.html

I´m sure you can find similar solutions elsewhere.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Eldar said:
NancyP said:
Eldar, nice setup. Did you make a custom belt attachment? One thing I considered in the past is a marching band flagpole carrier belt or a sport-fish fishing rod carrier belt.

Cotton Carrier has a chest-mounted item called the Steady Shot.
The belt shown in the image is a standard flag bandoleer, bought online at:

http://www.flagg.no/flaggshop/fane-banner-bandoler.html

I´m sure you can find similar solutions elsewhere.
Good solution, thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Dholai said:
.. Shoot wildlife and birds

...already have 200-400 F4L
....600 mmF4L MKII
... 70-200 2.8L MK II

... to be used with

..1Dx
..7D MK II
..5DsR

And...
You can not handhold a camera with most lenses due to physical condition but want a lighter lens to try without compromising image quality ???

100-400 II will give you IQ but will not match either 200-400 or 600 II.

Might be able to handhold the 100-400 on 7D M2, not sure about your condition. The 100-400 II weighs about the same as the 70-200 F2.8

Unless you want to handhold body, lens, you are set. Save you $.

Upvote 0