What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
We’ll probably see RF versions of the 35 f/2 IS & 24 f/2.8 IS lenses once they push out a few more L series lenses. Those two little lenses, along with the 28 f/2.8 IS are a lot of fun. Video people bought a ton of the 35. I thought they were going to expand on that series, but they may have stoped with the development of the series with the dawn of the RF mount, and continuation of the EF-M for now. I’d like to see a 50 & 85 in that series.

On the L side a good & fast 14, 20, 85, and 100 would be lovely, with preference on the 20 for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
As a nature photographer I would like to see new teleconverters before new big whites. Make them with an RF mount on the camera end and an EF mount on the lens end. That way you don't need both a converter and an adapter. Should be a simple mechanical addition to the exsisting converter designs.

But then I would need another teleconverter for RF lenses. I guess if they never plan to create RF versions of the really big whites that would make sense, but I think they're going "all in" on RF in the long run.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The interesting thing about the R series is pricing. If Canon (and Nikon) really want people to jump into this system pricing would be aggressive. That, of course, would anger people who recently bought new EF FF equipment. Still, think about it: B&H has the EF 50mm f1.2 at list price: US$1,449.00. The list price of the R 50mm F1.2 is $2,229. If Canon really wanted people to run to this system, price is one way to do it. Perhaps, as a new system, Canon doesn't want initially to be overwhelmed. Or, as I say, it doesn't want to anger EF owners. Still, it's interesting.
On the other hand, note that the list price of the new R camera is US$2,229. That's only $300 more than the list price of the 6D2. For that $300 you get more megapixels in the sensor and a huge number more AF points. On the other hand, it seems from the official brochure (https://store.canon.com.au/media/attachments/EOS_R_Camera_Brochure.pdf) you only get 3 frames per second in continuous servo mode. For me that's a big negative, and one I'll bet will be a deal-breaker for many.

UPDATE: I just checked with DPReview, which says the camera gets 5fps with AF tracking (which compares to 6.5 FPS on the 6D2) or 3 fps in the higher-precision 'tracking priority' mode.

As we’ve been seeing from other companies, it’s all about IQ these days. Canon, Nikon, Sigma and others are losing their fear of making premium lenses. It’s now a race for the highest quality. If you’re a pro, the numbers shouldn’t scare you off if that lens will make a monetary improvement to your business. And your accountant can write this off, so that in the long run, it costs less.

If you’re not making money with it, then sorry if it’s too much, but what will that 58mm f0.95 clunk of glass cost? The Leica 50 1.2 is over $11,000, for what is a not very reliable lens. I dare say that Canon’s new lenses will uphold the extremely high mechanical quality Lens Rental’s tear downs show. I can’t wait to see what these will show.

About the FPS, from what I read, Canon will be having a firmware update shortly that will up the frame rate in continuous servo, to, I think, 5fps.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I hope not! That would be a disaster for all of us who have invested in EF lenses!
Long run could mean 10 years, or more.

I remember that when Canon came out with the EOS mount, people predicted it would be a disaster. It wasn’t, obviously. It was a great thing for them. Even though I had 9 breech mount Canon’s, and was ticked at the time that I couldn practically use them with the new cameras, it passed, and this will too.

I think the anger is actually amusing, with the guys who claim to have a large kit of lenses saying they’re going to leave because Canon doesn’t have this one lens or the other, or that their new EF lens is obsolete, or some such nonsense.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Bulbous front is a problem for 17 TS-E because it tends to catch sun lens flare sometimes even from behind.

I don't think that RF mount could help a lot with that, though. The lens still needs to be retrofocal with medium format image circle.

Yeah, but if you read their RF 'white paper', it makes me hope they'd be able to push the giant front element back and enlarge the inner-most—more like the old symmetrical design lenses for 4x5. Like a Rodenstock 90mm...

Upvote 0
I would like to see:
  • 85mm f1.2L USM
  • 24-70mm f2.8L IS USM
  • 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
  • 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • 24mm f1.4L USM
... plus a more pro level camera that has:
  • Non-cropped 4k60, 1080p120
  • Easy selection of AF point while looking through the viewfinder
  • 10+ fps while using AF
  • Two card slots
  • Full weather sealing
A 1dxmkii is your camera then and all the existing ef glass. It's a 1.35 crop. So it's close enough. Crop is not that big of a problem, if you you haven't played with cinema cameras I suggest you do, canon loves their perfect pixel pitch and I applaud them for that. Crop is a pretty easy work around.

Upvote 0

Nomanic

5DmkIV
Sep 7, 2018
Romania
I would like to see a RF 20-200mm f3.5-5.6 L IS, all-around lens, light and affordable, since i see this camera as a very good holiday/travel camera. I still relay on my 5D IV or future DSLR and fast lenses for my pro work.
Oh, yes....if 20-200 is not feasible, then a very small and very light 2x zoom lens RF 28-56mm f/2.8 (L) for my street photography :)
I could live only with that 28-56mm on my camera for 1000g the combo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A 1dxmkii is your camera then and all the existing ef glass. It's a 1.35 crop. So it's close enough. Crop is not that big of a problem, if you you haven't played with cinema cameras I suggest you do, canon loves their perfect pixel pitch and I applaud them for that. Crop is a pretty easy work around.

If you have a video camera then it is less of a problem, since you already know exactly what you can use it for, you have a constant crop factor and you can choose lenses accordingly.

But when you want to shoot photo and video at the same time or you simply want to shoot in 1080p and 4k depending on the situation, then it starts to become more annoying. It is nice to be able to mount the Sigma 18-35/1.8, but if you want to switch to stills, you need to change lenses where you loose the wide-end again, etc. so it is fiddly, and you end up purchasing more lenses that you might have without that.
Yes the 1DXII is way better on paper, but no C-Log and it is just too cumbersome to use for many. But it's totally up to them, if they might put that sensor in this body, and price it much higher.

If you already have a Cinema camera as an A-cam, then it is a perfectly fine B-cam + occasional photo solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Would expect them to have a 400/2.8 for the olympics. Also, isn't it about time they released a new 300/4?

IMHO, the camera having a single slot means Canon doesn't position it as a pro tool one would use to photo at the olympics. My bet it would be released only after a two slots EOS-R camera. As an RF 400mm f/2.8 would probably be similar enough to an EF version, I can see Canon making it by the 2020 games.

Upvote 0