What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

Aug 26, 2015
Why? I don't see any advantage to refreshing it for EOS-R over EOS.
We've already seen that there is some room to reduce the weight further. A small lens like this with electronic fly-by-wire focus, etc. could potentially be made in this mount (although it would be much more appealing in EF mount) and IS inclusion would be a big improvement. But all that is just shooting in pitch darkness.

But a 400/2.8 is totally illogical, the new one will be perfectly good for at least the next 7 years in EF-mount only with new EF bodies behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
As a nature photographer I would like to see new teleconverters before new big whites. Make them with an RF mount on the camera end and an EF mount on the lens end. That way you don't need both a converter and an adapter. Should be a simple mechanical addition to the exsisting converter designs.

excellent thought!

Would be very surprised had Canon not also looked at that. Hopefully they'll make them. Ideally with 4 functions: mount adapter, rear-filter slot, control-ring and TC. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
IMHO, the camera having a single slot means Canon doesn't position it as a pro tool one would use to photo at the olympics. My bet it would be released only after a two slots EOS-R camera. As an RF 400mm f/2.8 would probably be similar enough to an EF version, I can see Canon making it by the 2020 games.

Well, I am expecting them to release something better for the abdication next year and a 1D-level body for the olympics. A 400/2.8 could be introduced together with a pro body to be used during the olympics.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
The R cameras can AF at f11 - so why not a 3x converter :eek::geek:

well, at f/11 you have to crank up ISO quite high to get exposure times short enough to avoid motion blur on moving subjects. Often in situations with limited light already ... eg wildlife.

Plus, there is "no free lunch". 3x converters might well have more detrimental effects on IQ compared to just cropping in post.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Long run could mean 10 years, or more.

I remember that when Canon came out with the EOS mount, people predicted it would be a disaster. It wasn’t, obviously. It was a great thing for them. Even though I had 9 breech mount Canon’s, and was ticked at the time that I couldn practically use them with the new cameras, it passed, and this will too.

I think the anger is actually amusing, with the guys who claim to have a large kit of lenses saying they’re going to leave because Canon doesn’t have this one lens or the other, or that their new EF lens is obsolete, or some such nonsense.
Amuzing to have tens of thousands in EF lenses? That if obsoleted mountwise almost nobody would be intersted in? Especially in decent prices? And you think the world is only US where selling/upgrading is relatively easy? By the way for now I am not interested in EOS R I like my 5D4 amd 5DsR much more!

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2016
20 / 35 / 85 ... all of them in small-form factor and very affordable f/1.8 non-L for me, please! :)

Yes I would love that too! Its fine with the big L lenses and zooms. But would be so nice to have an alternative for street and documentary photography where you need a good quality light/small setup. Please Canon. Then I promise to end my affair with the Fuji woman ;) I miss your full frame body.... :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
24-70/2,8 and 70-200/2,8 seem given if they say they're developing fast 2,8's.
edit: those would come in handy for the emperors abdication event, wouldn't they?
Would expect them to have a 400/2.8 for the olympics. Also, isn't it about time they released a new 300/4?

If I remember correctly, the 300/2.8 and 500/4 are scheduled for EF release soon. Not sure about the 300/4. I guess it’s in the same bucket as the 400/5.6

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Long primes are very unlikely to pop up in RF mount any time soon. Looking at the current 400mm L and 600mm L internal designs, there is already quite much air behind the rear element, adding more air with a fixed RF mount does not make much sense, as you can do it yourself; just add the RF-EF adapter and you are done. Flange distance does not seem to be a limiting factor with these focal lengths.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It's interesting they update their series II teles. Maybe they care after EF series after all. Weight reduction is mostly welcome. But to tell the truth I do not see how the 300 can be improved in anything. And a weight reduction cannot be impressive there. It weighs 2.4Kg and it is handholdable just fine. How much weight can be redacted? The result will not be impressive as with the 400 2.8 II. Regarding the 500 I am curious but I like the way I can focus manually my 500. FBW is an issue.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but if you read their RF 'white paper', it makes me hope they'd be able to push the giant front element back and enlarge the inner-most—more like the old symmetrical design lenses for 4x5. Like a Rodenstock 90mm...

Fun that you mention Rodenstock, The 90mm f4.5 is my favorite WA on my Technikardan. However don't forget that 90mm on a 4x5 is roughly equivalent to a 25-26mm. The equivalent for a 17mm would be the Rodenstock 55mm or Schneider 58mm; both lenses are smaller but their image circle doesn't allow any practical shift possibilities. The only very wide that allows a good amount of shift is the 72mm XL Schneider (+/- 21mm equivalent) at the cost of a 95mm thread and is unusable without a center filter. So I am not sure if a 17mm TS-E can be done without a bulbous lens. RF mount could allow better corrections though.

As a heavy user of TS-E lenses, I don't see Canon replacing them soon; the recent 50, 90 and 135 are IMHO here to stay (it took them 26 years to replace the 45 and 90). Even the 24mm is still top notch (despite it's sometimes bad looking blue/yellow fringing), the only one that could be improved is the 17 TS-E since it flares like hell in almost any situation. The addition I would like to see is an EF 35mm f2.8 TS-E, since Canon has the most comprehensive TS line, but 24 to 50 is quite a gap.

As TS-E work is a slow process and includes most of the time the use of a tripod, an adapter is not really a problem, but making an RF only TS-E replacement would be a major problem for a lot of pro users (including myself) who work with DSLRs (basically the majority of pros in sport/architecture/fashion/studio/commercial photography).

Canon know very well what THEIR users want, we'll see a double line of L USM lenses (24 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 85 f1.2 135 f1.8-f2 IS (and maybe a 100 f1.4 to compete with Nikon/Sigma)) and a "consumer/video" range of STM IS lenses (24 f2-ish IS, 28mm f2-ish, 85 f1.8 IS). Add a few f2.8 and f4 WA and standard zooms and a couple of macro lenses and you are set. The big whites will stay EF for the next 5-7 years (the fly by wire implementation on the V3 400 and 600 is a sign in that direction).

Not to forget the EF to RF transition will be much less brutal than the FD to EF since the adapters will work seamlessly for all EF lenses, so there is less of an absolute need to rush every lens now. Nikon is in a different position since their lenses though adaptable, will have a different level of features depending on their generation.

Look at what Sony did; in abandoning the A mount, they made their A mount users mad. They had to make that choice since A to E is not at all seamless, contrary to to EF to RF. Canon is not in the same position, since every single EF lens made since 1987 will works on RF cameras like a native one, at the slight penalty of an adapter. But the adapters are actually adding features to EF lenses, contrary to Sony A to E or Metabones EF to Sony E adaptors that just cripple your system.

IMO what is more important is to release another camera relatively soon with a more "pro" feeling in the 3500$ range, to show what they really can do with FF MILCs.

Upvote 0