What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

Aug 26, 2015
What's the deal with these weird focal lengths, 58mm and such?

It is linked with tradition, these were always around in the film era, there are at least ten different one - including Canon FL -
But of course there was a Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 and this is sort of a modern successor.
And they also have a 58/1.4G in F-mount as well, which was like "an initial greeting of the old legend, before the true successor arrives".
It is the longest focal length with the f0.95 aperture so far.
So in a way it is a statement, a new standard. Just like what Canon did with the F 28-70/2 (coincidentally)
Even more special (and expensive) and also manual focus, so not nearly as useful.
But there is a manual focus Leica 50/0.95 and people are still buying them, so...

But, 58mm is yesterday's news anyway, a 65mm f/2 APO-Lanthar Macro is even better in terms of weirdness :)

All relative anyway, just because 50mm is the standard, it can be considered 'weird' in some people's eyes.

Upvote 0
If you have a video camera then it is less of a problem, since you already know exactly what you can use it for, you have a constant crop factor and you can choose lenses accordingly.

But when you want to shoot photo and video at the same time or you simply want to shoot in 1080p and 4k depending on the situation, then it starts to become more annoying. It is nice to be able to mount the Sigma 18-35/1.8, but if you want to switch to stills, you need to change lenses where you loose the wide-end again, etc. so it is fiddly, and you end up purchasing more lenses that you might have without that.
Yes the 1DXII is way better on paper, but no C-Log and it is just too cumbersome to use for many. But it's totally up to them, if they might put that sensor in this body, and price it much higher.

If you already have a Cinema camera as an A-cam, then it is a perfectly fine B-cam + occasional photo solution.
I am not sure why everyone wants to use log gammas, color grading sucks and next to no one actually will care or notice. I have 2 documentaries that I have done; one on netflix and the other soon to be on Netflix. We used a Sony f55 and my 1dc and 5 d3, nothing was shot in log, we used standard profiles and then used a canon based profile in the Sony. Turned out great and no one at A&E cared about our shadows. We often get sooooooo hung up on the tech and not the story's. Tech will never trump a story. If you feel like seeing my doc I created on Netflix it's called "A Gray State" I did it with erik Nelson and Werner Herzog of grizzly man. Yes the switching of stills to video is annoying with that big crop but if your doing stills are you then hand holding your video? Is the video then even going to be usable?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I am not sure why everyone wants to use log gammas, color grading sucks and next to no one actually will care or notice. I have 2 documentaries that I have done; one on netflix and the other soon to be on Netflix. We used a Sony f55 and my 1dc and 5 d3, nothing was shot in log, we used standard profiles and then used a canon based profile in the Sony. Turned out great and no one at A&E cared about our shadows. We often get sooooooo hung up on the tech and not the story's. Tech will never trump a story. If you feel like seeing my doc I created on Netflix it's called "A Gray State" I did it with erik Nelson and Werner Herzog of grizzly man. Yes the switching of stills to video is annoying with that big crop but if your doing stills are you then hand holding your video? Is the video then even going to be usable?
Log gives you more dynamic range or at least nice flatter profile than the user created ones especially in scenes with a lot of contrasting lighting. LOG on my 5d mark iv made it a better hybrid camera to use when I am booked to do video and photos otherwise I would use a c100 with my 5d. which is heavy but doable .

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Log gives you more dynamic range or at least nice flatter profile than the user created ones especially in scenes with a lot of contrasting lighting. LOG on my 5d mark iv made it a better hybrid camera to use when I am booked to do video and photos otherwise I would use a c100 with my 5d. which is heavy but doable .
I think I see where NorskHest is coming from - shooting with Log will give you very nice results that will sell. If you Log and non-Log side by side you will probably be able to get some difference but in isolation I doubt it.
I wonder if anyone would look at an interesting documentary with good content and think 'if only they had used Log'. And if it was poor content Log would not have saved it anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That last one is a pretty good argument, thank you for your response. It is also kind of self-ironic about hand holding, because I reckon this camera could prove itself to be very popular with vloggers, not sure where they fit in.
Yes it is always about the story, but in that case, all arguments about any types of gear are pointless. (Maybe they are)

I also agree about shooting in log (but I wouldn't say it sucks, or it doesn't add production value, I think it very much does but to something that's good in the first place), but I would say that at least in the stills cameras the built-in profiles in the Sony don't impress me at all.
The Canon stills cameras have good profiles, but sometimes the highlights just blow out and it is just not nice, but I guess it means, that it is better to just underexpose and bring up the mids and crash the deep shadows and call it a day?

I would like to hear a bit more about that Canon-Sony profile and I will take a look at the documentary, maybe that might change my viewpoint further.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
What I would like to have, as more of a video than photo person, would be a wide angle converter / speed booster. That would only be useful with 4k video, because of the severe crop. But that would make your 24-70 mm f2,8 lens a 17 - 50 mm f2.0 lens, with more than adequate image circle for the EOS R 4k.
The Canon's 4K implementation (1.7 crop) gives me a hint to try to use it for birding since this is a case where we usually are Focal Length limited :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
Why? I don't see any advantage to refreshing it for EOS-R over EOS.

An EF update with IS would be fine too. But eventually Canon may release a long lens or two in RF mount to gradually encourage movement towards the new system. Since the current 400 5.6 is a fine lens, it could stay in the catalog after an RF IS version is released.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Enough about log.
Video is wasted on most users. It’s a bit like Photography. What would really improve video would be content .
Back to lens. For this camera to be a success they need light sharp and reasonably cheap non L lens.
If you can barely afford the camera you won’t buy the lenses.
Olympus do expensive pro lens but have lovely light primes. The Canon ones would be heavier of course but if they could be like the 40mm 2.8 they would be great

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The Canon ones would be heavier of course but if they could be like the 40mm 2.8 they would be great
But you realise, that you can adapt that one in the meantime. As even with RF mount, it may not actually be smaller or lighter in the new mount and the that one is already very sharp already.
I think the RF 35mm f/1.8 (with IS) is the one that they will have around that range for the time being.
As stated, the f/2.8 IS standard zoom and a superzooooom are most likely to come out next and a wide-angle prime or zoom would be most useful after that.
Because there is a bigger difference in design compared to an adapted EF 70-200mm, whichever version they've just come up with.

Upvote 0
You can focus manually via Live View (at 10x) even with 5DMkIV just fine. In fact I used to do that since my 5DII.
It's a set it and forget it situation unless you move the focus ring by mistake.
I should try that again - if i remember right, LV was only a black screen with noise. The EVF doesn't work for me so I take 10 to 20 shots 15 sec long to get the sharpnes... :cautious:

Thank you!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I should try that again - if i remember right, LV was only a black screen with noise. The EVF doesn't work for me so I take 10 to 20 shots 15 sec long to get the sharpnes... :cautious:

Thank you!
No, no need to do that! Just make sure you have exposure simulation (I think it must be the default since I do not remember setting it on my 5D4 but I may be wrong). You can find either a bright star and target it and then press the 10x magnification. The smallest sharp possible is when there is perfect focus. Alternatively since I combine this with landscape astrophotography I take advantage of a distant light and focus (with the same way) on it since if its distant enough (or even not so much for UWA lenses) it is practically the same for focusing at a star (inifinity).

Upvote 0
Enough about log.
Video is wasted on most users. It’s a bit like Photography. What would really improve video would be content .
Back to lens. For this camera to be a success they need light sharp and reasonably cheap non L lens.
If you can barely afford the camera you won’t buy the lenses.
Olympus do expensive pro lens but have lovely light primes. The Canon ones would be heavier of course but if they could be like the 40mm 2.8 they would be great
But we love talking about log color science ;-)

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
As a heavy user of TS-E lenses, I don't see Canon replacing them soon; the recent 50, 90 and 135 are IMHO here to stay (it took them 26 years to replace the 45 and 90). Even the 24mm is still top notch (despite it's sometimes bad looking blue/yellow fringing), the only one that could be improved is the 17 TS-E since it flares like hell in almost any situation. The addition I would like to see is an EF 35mm f2.8 TS-E, since Canon has the most comprehensive TS line, but 24 to 50 is quite a gap.

As TS-E work is a slow process and includes most of the time the use of a tripod, an adapter is not really a problem, but making an RF only TS-E replacement would be a major problem for a lot of pro users (including myself) who work with DSLRs (basically the majority of pros in sport/architecture/fashion/studio/commercial photography).

Wouldn't a shorter flange distance allow Canon to make better TS-E lenses?

E.g. shorter flange distance could allow greater shift & tilt, and free a TS-E 24mm from being retrofocal.

Upvote 0
Well, I am expecting them to release something better for the abdication next year and a 1D-level body for the olympics. A 400/2.8 could be introduced together with a pro body to be used during the olympics.

They just released a new 400 2.8! Why would they confuse the situation by introducing another one so soon? Even if they launch a 'pro' mirrorless for the Olympics (and I'm not convinced they will - a 1Dx3 is much more likely), it would take the new EF 400 2.8 perfectly fine!

Upvote 0