What lenses are coming next for the Canon RF mount?

No IBIS on this new camera and no IS on these lenses,

Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L £3049

that's a lot of money considering the non RF EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II can be had for £1520.

Some more budget lenses with 'IS' would be a good idea

I agree it makes sense to add some cheaper lenses to the range (especially zooms), but you can't really compare the price of lenses with a stop difference in aperture. For instance, the 200 f/2 is several times the price of the 200 2.8 - for a reason!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

I agree it makes sense to add some cheaper lenses to the range (especially zooms), but you can't really compare the price of lenses with a stop difference in aperture. For instance, the 200 f/2 is several times the price of the 200 2.8 - for a reason!

Double the cost and no IS is a hefty price to pay for 'one stop' lets hope it's a worth it for better, blur, autofocus, sharpness and all round goodness and at least the system gives the user the choice and you're not force to use the f2 over the cheaper f2.8 we can thank canon for that. Be good to see a comparison with these lenses...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
But you realise, that you can adapt that one in the meantime. As even with RF mount, it may not actually be smaller or lighter in the new mount and the that one is already very sharp already.
I think the RF 35mm f/1.8 (with IS) is the one that they will have around that range for the time being.
As stated, the f/2.8 IS standard zoom and a superzooooom are most likely to come out next and a wide-angle prime or zoom would be most useful after that.
Because there is a bigger difference in design compared to an adapted EF 70-200mm, whichever version they've just come up with.
Small light RF primes are only a piece of the light weight lower cost puzzle. A real question is how the RS 24-105 fits into the equation. How important is it for Canon to have a lighter weight lower cost RS 24-70, or suchlike?

Upvote 0
Double the cost and no IS is a hefty price to pay for 'one stop' lets hope it's a worth it for better, blur, autofocus, sharpness and all round goodness and at least the system gives the user the choice and you're not force to use the f2 over the cheaper f2.8 we can thank canon for that. Be good to see a comparison with these lenses...

Comparisons will be interesting. As I say, prices don't scale in a linear fashion - there are plenty of examples where adding one stop increases the price by more than double. IS (or lack of it) does make a difference to the price but not as much as you might expect, and nothing like as much as aperture differences. And the wider the aperture, the less you need IS - or at least, this has always been the received wisdom, as you can use faster shutter speeds thanks to the extra light gathering ability - though only when shooting wide open. I expect the other aspects of image quality will be excellent, and probably better than the current lenses.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Small light RF primes are only a piece of the light weight lower cost puzzle. A real question is how the RS 24-105 fits into the equation. How important is it for Canon to have a lighter weight lower cost RS 24-70, or suchlike?

Probably not at this point, it is either this or that like with the Nikon cameras.
Making it lightweight is not their priority against technical advancements (like with IS) or optical performance. There may be a few cheap lenses here and there, but the system is not based around them.

The EF 24-105mm f/4 is still by far the most widely used lens used for photo and video, so it is no surprise to be the new kit lens as well.
And, unsurprisingly, the other popular option was the 24-70mm f/2.8, it will be very useful with image stabilisation .
Don't expect it to be under 2000$ though, if it turns out to be even sharper than before, maybe costing somewhere around 2300$ which was the original retail price on the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 II lens, at least I don't expect it to be any closer to the RF 28-70mm f/2.

So yes, there may not be an RF 24-70mm f/4 IS for a few years, because they will already have three different standard zooms in their RF lens lineup.

Upvote 0
Probably not at this point, it is either this or that like with the Nikon cameras.

The EF 24-105mm f/4 is still by far the most widely used lens used for photo and video, so it is no surprise to be the new kit lens as well.

yes but only because it's cheap to make and offered as a kit for a couple hundred more. You'd be hard pressed to find it in working pros kits.

The lens selection, when including ef lenses, is phenomenal. I'm not surprised to see novelty lenses introduced first, specially considering they don't have a top quality body to take full advantage of traditional working pros lens selection.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
yes but only because it's cheap to make and offered as a kit for a couple hundred more. You'd be hard pressed to find it in working pros kits.

The lens selection, when including ef lenses, is phenomenal. I'm not surprised to see novelty lenses introduced first, specially considering they don't have a top quality body to take full advantage of traditional working pros lens selection.
I suggest you to check some recent press images, where you can see photographers on them. Many of them use the EF 24-105mm f/4 (Mark 1) lens on a 5D or 1DX besides a wide-angle or a telephoto.
So yes, they are being used in professional environments right now taking professional images, because what they are as you say "working pros" instead of complaining at forums. A lot of them use the EF 17-40mm f/4 lens, which is considered to be way out of date by 'forumists'.
And it is safe to say that this new lens is an improvement (for video the IS will definitely work better) and will be plenty good enough for many of them, if it is what they need, and they intent to use a system like this (but they are probably fine with maximising the abilities of their current kit).

Upvote 0
I suggest you to check some recent press images, where you can see photographers on them. Many of them use the EF 24-105mm f/4 (Mark 1) lens on a 5D or 1DX besides a wide-angle or a telephoto.
So yes, they are being used in professional environments right now taking professional images, because what they are as you say "working pros" instead of complaining at forums. A lot of them use the EF 17-40mm f/4 lens, which is considered to be way out of date by 'forumists'.
And it is safe to say that this new lens is an improvement (for video the IS will definitely work better) and will be plenty good enough for many of them, if it is what they need, and they intent to use a system like this (but they are probably fine with maximising the abilities of their current kit).

I'm not so worried about press corps, you'll see a 17-40, 1dmk2 and all kinds of old stuff because a lot of the times they're just using what the employer provides and it's hard to kill Canon gear.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't a shorter flange distance allow Canon to make better TS-E lenses?

E.g. shorter flange distance could allow greater shift & tilt, and free a TS-E 24mm from being retrofocal.

Yes I guess you could improve slightly the optical formula, we could have a slightly bigger image circle, but for now Canon just released one Mirorless FF, that is not a pro camera, and the slight improvements we could get from an RF TS-E would not compensate the fact that many pro still work with DSLRs and could simply not use it. When Canon is advanced enough that they have a full range of R cameras and the basic lens range has been develloped, then we can talk about RF TS-Es. In between I can tell you that most pros who need a TS lens for interior / architecture don't need a 5% better lens that is not compatible with their working camera.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm not so worried about press corps, you'll see a 17-40, 1dmk2 and all kinds of old stuff because a lot of the times they're just using what the employer provides and it's hard to kill Canon gear.
That's quite wrong, because I've checked that picture that I saw from a case being part of a heated debate. The lens was mounted on a 5D IV.
The 17-40mm f/4 and 16-35mm f/2.8 II (also out of date) are extensively being used in Syria on 1DX Mark II bodies

And the images are perfectly fine at full-resolution, sharp were they need to be (slightly less sharp in the corners but not that visible on 20 megapixels).
You can also use the old 24-105mm f/4 in a studio at f/11, f/16 with perfectly fine "professional" results.

So please stop embarrassing yourself further.

But looking at some new test images from the new RF 24-105mm f/4, while it won't be perfectly sharp in the corners at 24mm it looks to be even sharper than the previous EF iterations with less aberrations, so very sharp for what it is.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Amuzing to have tens of thousands in EF lenses? That if obsoleted mountwise almost nobody would be intersted in? Especially in decent prices? And you think the world is only US where selling/upgrading is relatively easy? By the way for now I am not interested in EOS R I like my 5D4 amd 5DsR much more!

You missed my point.

Back then, the prices for lenses, considering inflation, weren’t too much cheaper than lenses today. My 9 cost a bit, and as I said, I was ticked at the time. So my thoughts were pretty much the same as some now. But at least EF lenses will work on the new cameras, so people now don't have the same reason to be ticked as we were then, when we couldn’t use any of our lenses. It’s hard to feel sorry for people who are mad because they bought a new EF lens, since it will work without a problem with a pretty cheap adapter, and even gain features with the control wheel adapter, or the filter adapter.

And as I also said, it will likely be 10 years before the EF mount will be gone, and even then, those lenses will still work on your new R mount camera. What I find amusing is the people who claim that because there is one lens that they say Canon must make but hasn't, they will sell off their entire Canon system and move to another maker. So selling off thousands of $ worth of lenses and spending thousands of $ in totally new equipment because of one lens, or because they think their new EF lens is now suddenly obsolete. Yes, I find that amusing. And when they move to that new system, and find that they lens they want isn’t exactly what they thought, are they going to move somewhere else?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Why not work on IBIS for the version II and release more lighter weighted non-IS RF lenses?

I used to have a strong distaste for IBIS. It had a jerky sort of look. It couldn’t deal as smoothly with body motion as lens based IS. But it’s gotten a lot better over the years.

Heck, Apple uses both methods together for the iPhone, and testing shows that it’s more effective than either by itself. I would have liked Canon to have included it, and have it work in conjunction with their built-in IS lenses.
Wouldn't a shorter flange distance allow Canon to make better TS-E lenses?

E.g. shorter flange distance could allow greater shift & tilt, and free a TS-E 24mm from being retrofocal.

Sure, but this camera just came out, and likely we’ll have a higher end version next year. But there has to be a lot of these in the field before Canon spends all that money replacing excellent lenses like those, particularly the shorter ones. There has to be a market for it before they come out with a product.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
IBIS is not an ideal solution although it may help in some cases.
You missed my point.

Back then, the prices for lenses, considering inflation, weren’t too much cheaper than lenses today. My 9 cost a bit, and as I said, I was ticked at the time. So my thoughts were pretty much the same as some now. But at least EF lenses will work on the new cameras, so people now don't have the same reason to be ticked as we were then, when we couldn’t use any of our lenses. It’s hard to feel sorry for people who are mad because they bought a new EF lens, since it will work without a problem with a pretty cheap adapter, and even gain features with the control wheel adapter, or the filter adapter.

And as I also said, it will likely be 10 years before the EF mount will be gone, and even then, those lenses will still work on your new R mount camera. What I find amusing is the people who claim that because there is one lens that they say Canon must make but hasn't, they will sell off their entire Canon system and move to another maker. So selling off thousands of $ worth of lenses and spending thousands of $ in totally new equipment because of one lens, or because they think their new EF lens is now suddenly obsolete. Yes, I find that amusing. And when they move to that new system, and find that they lens they want isn’t exactly what they thought, are they going to move somewhere else?
Maybe! I think we are talking about different things. Also I do not find anything missing from EF line or anything interesting in R line.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0