What next for the 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the 5D3 now out in the open I'm starting to wonder if the 7D is next on the list of bodies to get an upgrade.
Trouble is the more I think about it the more I fail to see a direction it could go. There's a few feature they could add but they'd be only slight improvements on the current specs.

1, Better video control
2, Compatibility with the 600EX & ST-E3RT
3, The same AF system as the 1DX and 5D3, or a scaled down version.
4, Improve the metering system.
5, To go FF, perhaps use the 5D2 sensor!!

The thought did cross my mind that the 7D may be killed off and maybe replaced with a new, FF camera that only does stills. Can't really see that, video is here to stay.

What are your thoughts, what cam be done to improve the camera without it stepping into the 5D3 territory?

FF would completely ruin the 7D mk II. If you want FF with good AF, the 5D mk III is the camera for you. The biggest attraction of the 7D is it's high speed AF on a 1.6x crop body. Consider this: my 300 2.8 + 2x TC sees what a 5D sees with an 800 5.6 + 1.4x TC (not quite, but close enough...). Moreover, with FF, many times the photographer will have to stop down gain adequate DOF, this raising the ISO, thus really killing whatever imagined IQ gains there could have been anyway.

Crop is the way to go for bird and wildlife photography.

Upvote 0
S

surfing_geek

AprilForever said:
FF would completely ruin the 7D mk II. If you want FF with good AF, the 5D mk III is the camera for you. The biggest attraction of the 7D is it's high speed AF on a 1.6x crop body.
JonJT said:
The 7D successor will not be anything other than APS-C.
I really hope not too! I have to say I don't understand this thinking that everything must be full frame and that it's the only way to go. I love my APS-C, even though it is a dodgy old 400D. The reach that the crop factor enables me is great, I just wouldn't be able to do that with FF.

I'm hoping they announce a 7D MkII soon, but looking back at the previous announcements, it could be a while. Being really geeky, there were 349 days between the 5D MkII being announced and the 7D. If you took their refresh cycles as identical, then the 7D will be announced on Thursday 14th February 2013. Or Valentines days. Hmm, I sure they could build an Ad campaign around that!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012
surfing_geek said:
AprilForever said:
FF would completely ruin the 7D mk II. If you want FF with good AF, the 5D mk III is the camera for you. The biggest attraction of the 7D is it's high speed AF on a 1.6x crop body.
JonJT said:
The 7D successor will not be anything other than APS-C.
I really hope not too! I have to say I don't understand this thinking that everything must be full frame and that it's the only way to go. I love my APS-C, even though it is a dodgy old 400D. The reach that the crop factor enables me is great, I just wouldn't be able to do that with FF.

I'm hoping they announce a 7D MkII soon, but looking back at the previous announcements, it could be a while. Being really geeky, there were 349 days between the 5D MkII being announced and the 7D. If you took their refresh cycles as identical, then the 7D will be announced on Thursday 14th February 2013. Or Valentines days. Hmm, I sure they could build an Ad campaign around that!

the ''leaks'' regarding the new 5D3 have emerged out 3-4 month before the actual release. in case 7Dmk2 no rumors, nothing....

That let me to one conclusion:

No 7Dmk2 in the next 4 months. The nearest announce date possible (in my opinion) will be Photokina in September.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Britman said:
With the 5D3 now out in the open I'm starting to wonder if the 7D is next on the list of bodies to get an upgrade.
Trouble is the more I think about it the more I fail to see a direction it could go. There's a few feature they could add but they'd be only slight improvements on the current specs.

1, Better video control
2, Compatibility with the 600EX & ST-E3RT
3, The same AF system as the 1DX and 5D3, or a scaled down version.
4, Improve the metering system.
5, To go FF, perhaps use the 5D2 sensor!!

The thought did cross my mind that the 7D may be killed off and maybe replaced with a new, FF camera that only does stills. Can't really see that, video is here to stay.

What are your thoughts, what cam be done to improve the camera without it stepping into the 5D3 territory?

The whole entire point about the 7D is that its NOT FF. The point is that it has an APS-C sensor and gives you that extra reach with telephoto lenses. I would not buy a 7D II if it was either FF or APS-H...I need it specifically for the APS-C sensor and the pro-grade features.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.