What to sell?

Earlier in the year, I had upgraded from the 5DIII to the 5DIV. The intention was always to sell the 5DIII and to use the 7DII as a backup. Then I recently shot a couple indoor performances and it was nice using 2 FF bodies with different lenses on each one and not having to swap lenses constantly, so I'm rethinking as to which one to sell: the 5DIII or the 7DII.

The 7DII has a higher frame rate but I find myself preferring the 5DIV at 7 FPS to the 7DII at 10 FPS due to the IQ advantage. The 7DII was a better match to the 5DIII because "reach" meant more when it was 20MP vs. 22MP. The 7DII has also served as my "video" rig and was paired to the only EF-S lens I own, the 18-135 IS. I also have the original M, which I only use when DSLRs are not allowed. The M was also used for video.

The first option I'm considering would be to sell the 7DII, EF-S 18-135 and the original M and replace it with a Canon refurbished M5. That would give me a slightly better video option with dual pixel AF and a touchscreen in one body. The downside would be that I'd be carrying the EF adapter because the EF-M lenses are too slow for low ISO video. It would also be a win on the M side because almost anything can focus better than the original M.

The second option would be sell the 5DIII and keep the 7DII/EF-S 18-135/M. This will net me more money, but then I wouldn't have a second FF for backup and times when I want to use two bodies with similar IQ at the same time. Thoughts?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
RGF said:
unless you need the extra reach and/or higher FPS, I stick with 5D M3.
+1

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'd sell the 7D II. The 7D III will be here next year and the already low price will take a big hit. The 5D MK III has already bottomed out, and will not change a whole lot in price next year.

It simplifies things to use 2 FF bodies.
+1

And after a release of a 7D3 you can rethink your setup - if neccessary.

Personally except for price reasons I wouldn't go back from FF. After getting my FF body I've never spent a thought about a 7D Mk-whatever.

Upvote 0
As above. With the 7D3 coming soon, the 7D2 is only going to lose value from here on; you may as well sell it while it's still holding a pretty respectable value. Conversely, the 5D3 isn't going to drop any time soon, and realistically probably won't see another drop in value until 2019, assuming the rumours of a 5DS2 in late 2018 work out.

The 7D2 is a great camera, but if you're not shooting wildlife or open field sports, there's really no point to it over the 5D3. Pixel density ('reach') and absolute maximum speed are its two advantages. If you're not actually making use of those then all you've really got is a 5D3 with more noise and wonky fields of view.

The M is another matter and I wouldn't ever weigh it against either SLR body. I'd treat that as an entirely separate issue. If you get that much use out of your M and you feel like the earlier system is holding you back in some way, upgrade to the newer M. If it doesn't feel that pressing, don't bother. I wouldn't let the 7D/5D choice influence that decision because the M line is such a different product and from the sound of it you're using it in a very different way to the SLRs.

Bear in mind lenses such as Sigma's f/2 and f/1.8 zooms, as well as 'speedbooster' adapters, which can help APS-C bodies (SLR or mirrorless) more-or-less approximate the same results as a 35mm sensor body. Those could erase your problem of the 7D2 & M not keeping up with the 5D4's video in low light. Even so, I do still think keeping the 5D3 is the smarter way to go. (And should be cheaper than buying additional lenses or adapters.)

Upvote 0
  • If you keep the APS-C 7D, you gain in the following fields, and only you can judge, whether they are relevant to you. Please excuse sloppy terms, I know they are wrong, but I'll use sloppy speech nontheless.
    • Besides the obvious greater "reach" for telephoto lenses, potentially nice if you have a wide angle on the 5D4 and a telephoto on the 7D2, I also count
    • greater "magnification" for macro-lenses, which can be handy at times
    • higher framerates for action (you have already 7fps in the 5D4, you get 10fps in the 7D2)
    • use EF-S glass, if you really like your 18-135
    • pop up fill-flash, if you ever use that one

If you keep the 5D3, you have the following chief benefits
    • it is a full, nearly equivalent backup to the 5D4, not an additional body with different capabilities.
    • low light photography. It can be very nice to be able to have 2 great bodies when it gets dark, like weddings...

For me, I would chose the 5D3 option any time.
    For you, only you can decide.

I hope to have helped,
    Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0