What were you hoping to buy on Black Friday?

May 31, 2011
Last year Adorama had a 6ft... maybe 7ft umbrella for $50... and I was hoping that shooting star would be seen again. But no. Also last year, Buydig via ebay was selling a 100L for $700ish after rebate... but again, not this year. Having said that, I just sold my 2nd 100L, so I really should just stay out of the 100L business.

I was also hoping that Amazon would have a deal like they have had in past years... where you buy an entry level body with a kit lens and then they practically give you the 55-250 and the 75-300 for free. But no.

Having said that, I think I got in on the photo deal of the season... Kohls was selling a t5, kit lens, and a 75-300mm for 449 plus 6% tax, but then you could get 9 or 10% back using a cash back site, plus getting $15 kohl's cash for every $50 you spend, plus this yes 2 you points... so I bought the maximum allowed of 5.

So I paid $2380, but I'm getting $675 in kohl's cash (the wife is going on a shopping spree), $112.50 in the yes to you points, and $202 in cash back... so my total for 5 bodies and 10 lenses my cost is $1390.50.

So I'm pretty psyched about that.

May 31, 2011
miah said:
I was hoping we'd see a gift certificate for a 7D2 packaged with a 100-400L II, for say $200-300 off the list price, shipping by year's end. :p

speaking of gift cards, what happened to amazon, b&h, and adorama offering 1% back on a future purchase? I liked being able to get a couple of bucks back and applying it to an accessory or whatever.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2012
USA
jdramirez said:
speaking of gift cards, what happened to amazon, b&h, and adorama offering 1% back on a future purchase? I liked being able to get a couple of bucks back and applying it to an accessory or whatever.

Hey, you're right. I just checked B&H and the 2% Rewards business has been removed from a couple of the lenses I was considering. Two percent off on a Big White is a lot of money, so they've effectively instituted a stealth price increase.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I broke down and ordered a ipad online from Target with their $140 gift card deal. I also bought a low cost 40 inch Samsung Smart TV from Best Buy to replace the small one in my Bedroom. I also bought some accessories for the ipad. Now, I need a new external antenna, a indoor one just does not quite work out here in the country.

I'm reducing a lot of seldom used photo stuff, I have too much.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
michi said:
I was wishfully hoping for a $2,500 or less deal for a 5DIII body from a store like B&H, Amazon or so. But nothing like that. Maybe on Cyber Monday, but I doubt it...

Call Adorama and ask them to match the $2500 deals on ebay. They might.

Authorized sellers have been pretty much stopped from advertising deals like that, but they can sell for less if they want to. B&H has not been cutting deals.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
miah said:
jdramirez said:

Hey, you're right. I just checked B&H and the 2% Rewards business has been removed from a couple of the lenses I was considering. Two percent off on a Big White is a lot of money, so they've effectively instituted a stealth price increase.

http://www.adorama.com/pages/5-percent-holiday-rewards

Per this page... it seems like we can get 5% back... but it says 2% on this page.

http://www.adorama.com/CA2470.html

So who knows.. I guess it is only one some.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
jdramirez said:
http://www.adorama.com/pages/5-percent-holiday-rewards

Per this page... it seems like we can get 5% back...

You mean the page that states, "Up to 5% rewards," which means anything from 0% to 5%? ;)

True. Don't forget that you can get an extra 1% cash back by going to Ebates dot com. 3% total isn't a ton, but 3% is still 3%.

Upvote 0