What were your first Canons? Analog and or digital?

GN Photos

Expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed
Oct 20, 2016
Folsom, California, U.S.A.
My first Canon was an F1, then I added an F1-N so that I could shoot B&W and color on any outing. Then I put everything away in the mid 80's. Work was just taking to much of my time. Sold all of the FD mount equipment a few years ago. I did a lot of research and evaluating (with a lot of help from Canon rumors) for a few years when I knew retirement was getting close. Post processing is still an uphill battle for me from the darkroom days. But now, I have the time to conquer that confusing beast.

Upvote 0
My first Canon was a new FT-QL with the 50mm 1.8, which was given to me for my 13th birthday.
Before that I was using a hand me down Exata Varex (from the mid 1950's).

In the digital era, my first was a D60, which I still have.
As a kid, I had lots of cameras to use, as my father was a keen competition photographer and had various Hasselblads, Bronicas and a Canon Pellix.

Upvote 0
The first camera I had the use of was my Dads Canon FTQL.

Then my Sister got an EOS 1000FN which I had access to (and so I could teach her how to work it)

When I started working in a camera shop as a student I was able to pick up 2nd hand gear cheap, and went through a 5 (A2e) a 50e, a 3, a 300x (still have the last 2)

Digitally my first Canon digital (2nd digital, had a Sony FD88) was a Powershot s40, I still have a sx630HS in my glovebox.

DSLR wise I sold every Canon DSLR from the 10D, original 1D to around the 30D, when I graduated and went into FT employment in education, then production, and now freelance.

I currently have a 60D, an M, a 400D, a 20D and a 10D (I love the 10D for it's build and handling, it's a beautiful camera to hold and control, if frustrating to use, just in terms of speed) but I've owned a 7D, another M, 3x 600D's, a 550D, another 400D..

I'm on the cusp between Panasonic and Canon, using their m43 4K cameras (with speedboosters) for production work, but still leaning on the Canons for stills.

If Canon can launch a resonably priced 4K option with similtaneous monitoring (even if just SD or HD monitoring) then I might re-commit to Canon fully.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
JPAZ said:
Guess we all got here by a parallel but different route. Think we could all band together and open a museum of formally loved and now unused photography equipment? ;)

That's a good idea, send a suggestion of your idea and how it would work to a admin. I have boxes full of classic cameras which I do not have photos of as well as having photos of many of my previous cameras. It might inspire me to get photos of them all.

Upvote 0
My first Canon was the AE-1 that I purchased in 1980. Still have it and this camera literally went through the war and several OOTW deployments. I have no doubts that if I put in a fresh battery it would still perform like the tank it is.

That was one camera one could depend on...once you learned how to load it correctly.. :-[ :-[ :-[

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
First camera was Argus C3 about 1955, then Ricoh diacord TLR,and 4x5 speed grafax.
When Nikon ruled, I had a 35mm film Ftn, with a nifty 50mm lens.
First film Canon was eos 630, then a couple of eos 1Ns. Tried Mamiya 7 and Pentax 645 for awhile.
When the first Rebel came out, I got one, and the rest is recent history.

Upvote 0

kaswindell

Trying to be as good as my gear
Apr 13, 2013
Temple, NH
Visit site
My first camera was a 110 Pocket Instamatic (a Model 20 I believe) in 1973-ish, which was followed by a Yashica MG-1 that I received for Christmas in 1976. I got my first Canon, a TX, in 1978. I loaned it to a friend for a trip to Israel in 1979 where it was stolen from the tour bus, and replaced it in the spring of 1980 with an A-1 (my father was horrified that I spent $370 on a camera!). A couple of years later I supplemented this with a used FTb, and much later in 1994 I received a used 1st generation F-1 for my birthday. In 2007 I got a 30D, replaced it with a used 50D in 2014 and finally got a 5Dm3 in 2015.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
My first ever camera was a 'John Stead Avengers' camera (plastic 110 toy) the first ever photo I took was of my dad at the viewing platform at the old Renfrew airport 1966. I still have the picture.

Inherited his Fineta's, a nameless plate camera and a Lubitel 21/4 sq then a fair few canon powershots, I really liked them skiing as you could operate them one handed with a glove on.
Yashica then canon F1n. First digital 500D.

Upvote 0
My first Canon was also my first digital camera.
At that time I was blown away by the new possibilities. I also enjoyed working with the digital files to improve / create / tell stories.
See my camera-history here as I presented it (proudly ;D) at that time.

Since then I have been true to Canon: G5 - 450D - 6D.
(Almost, that is, as I have added Tamron's 150-600 mm - V.I)

Attachments

• 1-PK Kameraer 2.jpg
    1-PK Kameraer 2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
PKinDenmark said:
My first Canon was also my first digital camera.
At that time I was blown away by the new possibilities. I also enjoyed working with the digital files to improve / create / tell stories.
See my camera-history here as I presented it (proudly ;D) at that time.

Since then I have been true to Canon: G5 - 450D - 6D.
(Almost, that is, as I have added Tamron's 150-600 mm - V.I)

This will be hard to beat...graphics wise that is. Great responses to this thread everyone!

Upvote 0