$3,899 EOS 5DS R
$3,699 EOS 5DS
$2,799 EOS 5D Mark III
$1,699 EOS 6D
$1,799 EOS 7D Mark II
=> $1,499 EOS 7D
$1,199 EOS 70D
$899 EOS 60D

Is the 7D end of sale now and if not, what would replace it? 70D is newish and so is 7D Mkii but there seems to be a gap to me. 6D Mkii (given the recent history 7DMkii, 5D etc) is not likely to be cheaper than the current one so there seems be a gap from $1200 to $1800 ie 50%

Ideas?

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
My guess is that a hypothetical 80D could fit in your envisioned gap, but as Mt Spokane says, the 7D-II price will naturally drop over time. I wouldn't too surprised if an 80D ended up being able to deliver 8fps and perhaps use UHS II (SD-U3) cards to match/surpass the speed and buffer performance of the original 7D.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It used to be cameras like the 40D and 50D that were $1400, but prices of the 60D and 70D have dropped a lot. The 7D MK II will also drop, there have been some for $1199 already, so I don't see the gap staying.
Yeah I agree. The 7D mkii fills the gap of the 7D, the price is already starting to drop. You could also argue that, spec wise, the 70D replaces it too, in the way the 6D replaced the 5d mkii. There's only really a 'gap' because the 7D has reached its lowest price, whilst the 7D mkii has come in at a premium. Once the price has settled, they'll be no more gap so to speak.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This is the kind of thing that only matters to people on internet forums.

I would not be at all surprised if Canon's market research shows that there isn't much demand for a camera between the 70D and 7D price. The 70D is very feature-rich for its price, but is a general purpose and video camera.

The 7DII is more narrowly targeted at an audience that has specific needs (sports, birding, wildlife, etc.) and is willing to pay a premium for a camera that meets those needs. Not sure there are many people between these two demands/desires in the market.

Upvote 0
David - Sydney said:
Is the 7D end of sale now and if not, what would replace it? 70D is newish and so is 7D Mkii but there seems to be a gap to me.

Not so, as the 70d inherited a lot of features from the 7d1 (and even the new Rebels have a decent af system though missing afma), Canon is covered in the lower ralms. Not that they would have a choice with these price tags as there's a lot of competition from Sonikon here.

In the premium market, the 7d2 offers some unique features so Canon will try to make some $$$ unless the competition catches up and the price will be lowered. I don't see the business requirement for having a camera body every $500 step.

Upvote 0