What would it take for you to buy a ML body?

Oct 26, 2013
Which ones? I had a Sony (a7rii) for a couple years, and the viewfinding was not quite WYSIWYG; reviewing photos in the EVF looked better than the live view feed (mostly saturation).

I have an Olympus E-M1, which has a great EVF, in my opinion. And the Canon M5, which exaggerates the colors. If you are really picky, they are all a little bit off from WYSIWYG, although the Olympus is so good I sometimes forget I am looking through en EVF. I did briefly own the Sony A7 and A7 II and, yes, the EVFs were quite poor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Not sure why so many demand IBIS, unless it is demonstrably better than lens IS. I saw at least one Canon rep state that Lens IS is overall better. Lens IS coordinated with sensor IS would probably be the best.

So many demand IBIS becuase that is one thing Canon doesn't do that Sony does. The majority of Canon R buyers will almost certainly buy - or will already have - lenses with IS. The spec lovers will want it because Sony has it.;);) Some folks with non-IS lenses who shoot in low light will understandably benefit from it. My opinion, of course.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure why so many demand IBIS, unless it is demonstrably better than lens IS. I saw at least one Canon rep state that Lens IS is overall better. Lens IS coordinated with sensor IS would probably be the best.

I want IBIS because I'm aging, my hands are not as steady as they once were and I have five and will have six fast prime lenses that lack stabilization.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
No I am ambivalent regards mirrorless or DSLR, the feature set MILC's offer over DSLR's is not compelling enough for me personally, I'd like a truly silent shutter but 'silent mode' on the DSLR's I have works most of the time. What I really like, and is unique, about the RF is the EF adapters as filters for the TS-E17 and EF11-24 are big and expensive.

I have no desire for MILC in and of themselves, I am interested in them because of the different features they give me over my DSLR's. Give me the choice between MILC and a 5DSr MkII with my list that both give me the ability to easily filter my bulbous lenses and I'd almost certainly take the DSLR.

Agree that the decision needs to be feature based. But if the features were similar, would you buy a MILC (or perhaps I should say EVIL - Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable lenses) or dSLR? Obviously not identical - ML has greater coverage of focus points and will be lighter while the trade off between EV and OV is mixed.

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
So many demand IBIS becuase that is one thing Canon doesn't do that Sony does. The majority of Canon R buyers will almost certainly buy - or will already have - lenses with IS. The spec lovers will want it because Sony has it.;);) Some folks with non-IS lenses who shoot in low light will understandably benefit from it. My opinion, of course.

As you point out IBIS will be of value for a new lenses. 24-70 non-IS.

For long exposure does not really help nor does it matter for very fast exposures

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012

Is it better because that what Canon offers or is it truly better? Give Canon 10 years to develop IBIS and then let's see which is better.

Upvote 0

Yup, should have thought of that - IBIS would be very desirable for a non-stabilized lens.

Upvote 0
While technically not really an excuse, the one thing I support is that they won't bring the tech to their product lines until it's reliable. I was shooting BTS video for a cosplay photographer at a recent Con and his A7R III overheated when he was doing some back to back photos (not even video) of some big name cosplayers that walked through the area to pose with fans and other cosplayers. He had his 5D MKIV as backup and just switched to that twice throughout the day, but I can't imagine the frustration of something like this happening in the middle of a video shoot, especially if it's all rigged up.

The digital stabilization in the m50 is decent enough to let me shoot video handheld with manual lenses, but IBIS would be beyond without a doubt. That new X-T3 is the first thing that has really tempted me to make the switch, but like everyone else I've already got a bunch of Canon glass so... :cautious:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

For me?

No IBIS, no video, no GPS, no wi fi, no cuddly toy, no fondue set etc etc....

I want fast and accurate servo AF, top notch AF tracking and a viewfinder that instantly (I mean instantly) adjust to differing lighting conditions - just like an OVF. I would also like a decent frame rate (in real world use) and 3 cell batteries rather then the two cell batteries currently used - as they drive big lenses better.

Had a play with the new "R" on Monday - very nice camera indeed. Unfortunately, for my needs, it was just not the camera for me.

ML are getting there - but they have quite a way to go for my uses. Were I a Portrait/Landscape photographer (?) then I would be very interested.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
For me?

No IBIS, no video, no GPS, no wi fi, no cuddly toy, no fondue set etc etc....

I want fast and accurate servo AF, top notch AF tracking and a viewfinder that instantly (I mean instantly) adjust to differing lighting conditions - just like an OVF. I would also like a decent frame rate (in real world use) and 3 cell batteries rather then the two cell batteries currently used - as they drive big lenses better.

Had a play with the new "R" on Monday - very nice camera indeed. Unfortunately, for my needs, it was just not the camera for me.

ML are getting there - but they have quite a way to go for my uses. Were I a Portrait/Landscape photographer (?) then I would be very interested.

How did you find the AF Servo ?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Everyone demanding an excellent EVF; doesn't the EOS R already have one of the best EVF on the market? You people are impossible to please.

~the best not being good enough speaks to the state of the art.

I don’t know what the R has; never used one. But I’ve used EVFs people (who’ve used more than I do) consider “one of the best,” and it doesn’t deliver nearly an OVF experience.

If you want to be pleased, limit the scope to comparisons with other EVFs.

Upvote 0
Everyone demanding an excellent EVF; doesn't the EOS R already have one of the best EVF on the market? You people are impossible to please.

I used the Sony A9 and despite having one of the best EVF, I can't imagine using it on daily basis. Panasonic new camera rumoured to have around 4 million dot EVF and Sony new camera will have 5.6 million dot 240 hz EVF. Will Canon continue to use the 3.4 million dot in EOS R or will they continue to push for better quality EVF?

What's acceptable for you is different than other people just like FPS, dual card slot, etc.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

How did you find the AF Servo ?

Rather better than I was expecting. Remember I only used the 50 F1.2 - but it locked on quite quickly and tracked quite well, subjects were moving at 10-15 miles per hour. Frame rate drops a bit in servo mode and the EVF was a hindrance (but so are all EVFs!) but it wasn't bad at all.

It is not an action/sports/BIF camera by any means but it is far from shabby IMO. My 1DX is safe for a while yet.

Upvote 0