What would it take for you to buy a ML body?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Everyone demanding an excellent EVF; doesn't the EOS R already have one of the best EVF on the market? You people are impossible to please.

Yesterday afternoon i sat down near a couple of dead trees to try and shoot a kingfisher in flight. They are such quick and erratic birds that it is almost impossible to follow one in flight as it is darting and diving. The best chance to get the shot is to focus on the bird while it is sitting on its perch and when it jumps off to quickly fire off a couple of shots before it is out of frame. In order to do that you need to sit there with your eye glued to the viewfinder and finger on the shutter button ready to press. I did that for two hours straight yesterday for three failed shots. Went the wrong way twice and I was a hair too slow the third time. If I tried to do that with even the best EVF i would end up having an epileptic fit.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Yesterday afternoon i sat down near a couple of dead trees to try and shoot a kingfisher in flight. They are such quick and erratic birds that it is almost impossible to follow one in flight as it is darting and diving. The best chance to get the shot is to focus on the bird while it is sitting on its perch and when it jumps off to quickly fire off a couple of shots before it is out of frame. In order to do that you need to sit there with your eye glued to the viewfinder and finger on the shutter button ready to press. I did that for two hours straight yesterday for three failed shots. Went the wrong way twice and I was a hair too slow the third time. If I tried to do that with even the best EVF i would end up having an epileptic fit.
One finger on the shutter button, 5 others grasping a small branch and cracking it noisily with your foot ...:sneaky:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

That's where 'pre burst' on the Panasonic (Pro Capture in Olympus) comes in - half press the shutter and it records 15 shots in the buffer, continually updating that set of last 15 shots. Fully press the shutter and you have that shot plus the 15 in the previous second. It avoids the sport photographer's cliche of 'if you see it in the viewfinder you have already missed it'
Now if the Canon R got that feature, it reduces the need for rapid tracking AF....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Rather better than I was expecting. Remember I only used the 50 F1.2 - but it locked on quite quickly and tracked quite well, subjects were moving at 10-15 miles per hour. Frame rate drops a bit in servo mode and the EVF was a hindrance (but so are all EVFs!) but it wasn't bad at all.

It is not an action/sports/BIF camera by any means but it is far from shabby IMO. My 1DX is safe for a while yet.
Thanks! Did you use the “high speed mode” of the VF, eco or just normal?

I saw something in the manual about being able to sacrifice a bit of battery life for a faster refresh of the VF.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Thanks! Did you use the “high speed mode” of the VF, eco or just normal?

I saw something in the manual about being able to sacrifice a bit of battery life for a faster refresh of the VF.

Honestly I don't know! The Canon Rep set it up for me as the controls defeated me!

Due to 4 eye operations I now have excellent long range vision (first time in 50 years!) - but close up I am hopeless. Rather than faffing about for ages I just told him what I wanted and he set it up for me. I suspect that the viewfinder was in Eco mode but I am not certain. The main thing that struck me was the lack of a control dial on the back of the camera, completely threw me. My 1DX and 7D2 are set up so that I do not have to take my eye away from the viewfinder to make all the adjustments that I need. I am sure there are equivalent setups on the EOS R but the interface is a bit different. Not necessarily better or worse but different.

Sorry I can't offer any useful insight on this aspect of the "R".

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I do that a lot with Kingfishers - and will probably be doing it again tomorrow. VERY frustrating but if/when you do get the shot it is worth it. This is one of the reasons I like the faster response (AF + Shutter release) of a Canon 1 series, the big batteries help too!

Upvote 0

You're saying that you want a OVF. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with the EOS R EVF, as people here are claiming that it isn't a very good EVF. It's actually one of the, if not the best EVF on the market.

Upvote 0
I used the Sony A9 and despite having one of the best EVF, I can't imagine using it on daily basis. Panasonic new camera rumoured to have around 4 million dot EVF and Sony new camera will have 5.6 million dot 240 hz EVF. Will Canon continue to use the 3.4 million dot in EOS R or will they continue to push for better quality EVF?

What's acceptable for you is different than other people just like FPS, dual card slot, etc.

It's easy to state that technology will improve in future. It always does.
In terms of the present, is there a EVF that is "better" than that of the EOS R? Is 4 million dots going to let you take incredible photos, when the crappy 3.4 million dot EVF of the crummy old EOS R won't allow you to do the same? I think not. "Stupid Canon left 600,000 dots of their state of the art EOS R EVF". No wonder Canon is going bankrupt."

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It's easy to state that technology will improve in future. It always does.
In terms of the present, is there a EVF that is "better" than that of the EOS R? Is 4 million dots going to let you take incredible photos, when the crappy 3.4 million dot EVF of the crummy old EOS R won't allow you to do the same? I think not. "Stupid Canon left 600,000 dots of their state of the art EOS R EVF". No wonder Canon is going bankrupt."
I don’t think resolution is the most important aspect of an EVF. Responsiveness and contrast ratio jump to mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don’t think resolution is the most important aspect of an EVF. Responsiveness and contrast ratio jump to mind.

While I agree with you, the EOS R EVF is supposedly also elite in those areas. Still cannot figure out what people are hoping for in terms of Canon's mirrorless VF. They asked for the best, they received the best, the best wasn't enough.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
While I agree with you, the EOS R EVF is supposedly also elite in those areas. Still cannot figure out what people are hoping for in terms of Canon's mirrorless VF. They asked for the best, they received the best, the best wasn't enough.
I’ll take you at face value that canon’s mirrorless VF is the best. That can mean only one thing: the technology isn’t good enough (yet?) to replace OVF ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Chines

EOS R6
Sep 20, 2017
For me the eye AF has to work very well and the WYSIWYG + decent Histogram has to work nicely in the EVF.
Besides that the most important thing is a nice feel and comfortable controls. Low light AF should be good (I'm shooting an 6D, if it's capable of focusing 1 stop darker it would super nice).
AF should track well (not miss), FPS is fine to be not super high as long as the AF tracks the shots I do take well (maybe someone who used the R could give some impressions on this one).

The only thing holding me back from getting an EOS R is the price to 'canon pro feature' ratio (Card Slots, Dials, Joystick, ...) and the mixed reviews on eye AF.
It just feels like a waste of money to get the R for the price I can get like new used 5D IVs here. I will probably just wait for the next model or a big price drop (as the main upgrade reason for me is the eye AF...man these shots I missed just slightly with focus and recompose with my lovely 135).

Btw. one off topic thing to someone with the R: does the automatic image transfer work like on the M50, if so the 1 card slot is just fine for casual users.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
An optical viewfinder :D

ok ok seriously, buying an EOS R is not the problem for Canon. I probably will, because as Alan pointed out in another thread, I suffer from GAS. But will I use it as my primary camera? Will I commit to switch to buying RF glass in the future? It's all in the user experience, which boils down to a lot of stuff not on specsheets. How good the viewfinder is, autofocus, ergonomics, battery life, what my keeper ratio is, and a lot of subjective stuff.

In the videos of the EOS R, the one thing that makes me worried thus far is how the image brightens when the aperture opens to autofocus. It did not look good in the video, and I can't imagine participating in daily photography like that. But perhaps the actual camera will be different.

My biggest complaint about the A7R3 was the autofocus, so I guess that would be most of it, but it's hard to say, because each camera is different, and while I may love the AF on EOS R, there might be something else I do not.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
You're saying that you want a OVF. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with the EOS R EVF, as people here are claiming that it isn't a very good EVF. It's actually one of the, if not the best EVF on the market.

It may be the best and tbh I cannot say it won't be up to scratch as I haven't looked through it yet. But. And this is the important bit. It has nothing to do with the clarity of resolution or colours of the viewfinder. It has to do with the fact that staring through an evf for hours at a time is bad for your eyes. And I will be surprised if canon or anyone will be able to fix that. I hope they can. I truly do. I just doubt it will happen for a while yet.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It may be the best and tbh I cannot say it won't be up to scratch as I haven't looked through it yet. But. And this is the important bit. It has nothing to do with the clarity of resolution or colours of the viewfinder. It has to do with the fact that staring through an evf for hours at a time is bad for your eyes. And I will be surprised if canon or anyone will be able to fix that. I hope they can. I truly do. I just doubt it will happen for a while yet.
I don’t know about It’s been bad for your eyes, i.e. damage, but I have lamented elsewhere that with extended use it causes eye fatigue and soreness.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That's where 'pre burst' on the Panasonic (Pro Capture in Olympus) comes in - half press the shutter and it records 15 shots in the buffer, continually updating that set of last 15 shots. Fully press the shutter and you have that shot plus the 15 in the previous second. It avoids the sport photographer's cliche of 'if you see it in the viewfinder you have already missed it'
Now if the Canon R got that feature, it reduces the need for rapid tracking AF....

What good is having 15 shots if they are all blurry because your subject was moving and the AF was not tracking it?

Upvote 0