What would it take lens wise?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I am at the point now that I think I am just about done on the lens front. I got real lucky and think I got started during the golden age of lenses.

I've figured out a great white just isn't in the cards. That's okay.

The only two lenses I'm waiting for now are the new 85L and the fabled new 50L. Hopefully both will have BR.

So, have you reached the end point or getting real close? What lenses do you still want to make your collection complete?

Similar for me: Getting close.

Most painful for me right now is not having a 50mm prime (or 55mm or 58mm, whatever) which I really love. I got the Canon 50mm 1.4, but ...

I will probably get myself a Zeiss Milvus 50mm, which should cover me for 50% (AF not essential, but Image Quality is), and 25% I can cover using the Canon 50mm 1.4 (slight sacrifice in IQ acceptable for having AF), which still leaves me uncovered for ~ 25% (IQ AND AF needed). Or wait for the next Canon 50mmL?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
New lenses keep coming out, and one may appear that is a significant update. I find IS for short focal length lenses to be mostly useless for my still photos, it takes a while to lock-in, and by then, the opportunity for the shot is passed. Its great for long distance telephoto shots of static subjects at slow shutter speeds. For my 24-70mm L, it would be of little use, I just keep the shutter speed up to 1/100 or faster. Most of my blurred shots are due to fast subject motion.

For video, where the IS stays on and locked, its more useful, but I do not do video.

However, Canon can and will make IS lenses, because the buyers want them, and they bring in lots of $$.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
So, have you reached the end point or getting real close?
I don't think I will ever be at the end point for equipment, too much GAS. That said, I'm pretty happy with my current lenses. I have 16-600mm(with extenders) covered with high quality glass, but would like to add a 50mm and 85mm prime at some point when/if Canon comes out with new L's or IS versions similar to the 35mm f/2 IS. I plan to add a 500mm f/4 II this summer, which will give me the reach I need for fall bird migration and eagle photography over the winter.

For my M5, I have all the EF-M lenses except the 28mm Macro, so am pretty well covered there.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
I've got 11mm to 1200mm covered on FF, with plenty of lenses in between – I think I'm good there, unless something new and unique comes out, or there's an upgrade to an existing lens (e.g. a 24-70/2.8 IS). I've got most of the EF-M lenses, although I could possibly see picking up an M18-150 at some point.

IS on a new 24-70 would be very interesting to me too. Neuro, other than the 85 and 50 I mentioned I might be convinced to get the 11-24. I went with the Tamron and it is good. I just regret not going with the Canon. Of course, that money would go a long way towards a 5D Mark V if there ever is one.

I did today order a Riser pinhole standard (EF mount) from B&H. I figure it has to be worth $30 in fun. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Mt Spokane Photography said:
New lenses keep coming out, and one may appear that is a significant update. I find IS for short focal length lenses to be mostly useless for my still photos, it takes a while to lock-in, and by then, the opportunity for the shot is passed. Its great for long distance telephoto shots of static subjects at slow shutter speeds. For my 24-70mm L, it would be of little use, I just keep the shutter speed up to 1/100 or faster. Most of my blurred shots are due to fast subject motion.

For video, where the IS stays on and locked, its more useful, but I do not do video.

However, Canon can and will make IS lenses, because the buyers want them, and they bring in lots of $$.

As usual, I have to agree with you. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
bholliman said:
CanonFanBoy said:
I don't think I will ever be at the end point for equipment, too much GAS. That said, I'm pretty happy with my current lenses. I have 16-600mm(with extenders) covered with high quality glass, but would like to add a 50mm and 85mm prime at some point when/if Canon comes out with new L's or IS versions similar to the 35mm f/2 IS. I plan to add a 500mm f/4 II this summer, which will give me the reach I need for fall bird migration and eagle photography over the winter.

For my M5, I have all the EF-M lenses except the 28mm Macro, so am pretty well covered there.

Thankfully I only have one mount size to worry about. I see you mention the 35 f/2 and it gets a lot of good press. The 35 f/1.4L II is superb too should GAS get the better of you.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
CanonFanBoy said:
So, have you reached the end point or getting real close? What lenses do you still want to make your collection complete?
Hi CanonFanBoy!

Considering real life budget, I am pretty much done with my setup. There are some I'd like to have and some I haven't considered yet:
  • I would have been very interested in a better 24-105/4. The V2 got me quite disappointed, so I stayed with V1
  • I'd like to have a 24-70/2.8 but I cannot justify by budget
  • I'd need a 85/1.8 successor. I don't want to go to L or third party here
  • I haven't considered T&S lenses yet. But again: justify by budget?
  • maybe a (new) 50/1.4

Upvote 0

axtstern

EOS M(ediochre)
Jun 12, 2012
I wish for two classic lenses to come back in modern Quality:

The 50-150 1:2.8 in a stabilized Version but not much bigger than the old Sigma 50-150 without OS was
and the 35-135 1:2.8 which Tamron produced back in the days when touch, feel and IQ was not Tamrons strength.

Sigma had a 50-150 in two Versions without OS which was extremly well build and small but soft, very soft.
Afterwards they gave that lens OS but packed it in the 70-200 Chassis and gone was the size Advantage.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
bholliman said:
CanonFanBoy said:

+1. I already have my lenses covered, and I am happy with the ones I have. But GAS will drive me into buying new stuff I really don't need. It is my hobby, I am curious, have a decent economy, and therefore reason is a small factor in my decision making.

I have all the current L-lenses up to 135mm, apart from the 14mm and the 100 macro (both which I probably will acquire at some point.) I would definitely buy updates to the 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, if they were small and with increased IQ. I am also interested in the Tamron 85 f1.8, due to its reported quality, IS and decent size.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Hillsilly said:
I'm generally fairly happy with my current choices. But after recently seeing a $2 laser cut 0.3mm pinhole on eBay recently, I knew I had to make it mine.

LOL! I'm wondering whether or not the pinhole images can be enlarged much, or do they need to stay fairly small for IQ? Maybe postcard size? This is probably a situation that the 50 megapixels of a 5DSr would really be nice to have.

Is there a DSLR pinhole photo thread on this forum? I couldn't find one. That could be interesting. Thanks for responding!

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
CanonFanBoy said:
Hillsilly said:
I'm generally fairly happy with my current choices. But after recently seeing a $2 laser cut 0.3mm pinhole on eBay recently, I knew I had to make it mine.

LOL! I'm wondering whether or not the pinhole images can be enlarged much, or do they need to stay fairly small for IQ? Maybe postcard size? This is probably a situation that the 50 megapixels of a 5DSr would really be nice to have.

Is there a DSLR pinhole photo thread on this forum? I couldn't find one. That could be interesting. Thanks for responding!
I'd like to see some pinhole images.
Also, how did the pinhole get mounted to the Canon camera?
Or did it come mounted to an EF flange? Doubt that, for $2.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Fleetie said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Hillsilly said:

Something like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/915823-REG/rising_rpsc001_camera_pinhole_body_cap.html

But a DIY option starting from a cheap 3rd party body cap would cost much less than $30.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Fleetie said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Hillsilly said:

The one I ordered through B&H (Rising brand) is made with a a piece of aluminum moulded into a camera cap. It is an EF (plastic) mount ($30). There is a standard 50mm (what I got) and a wide angle.

I won't have it until next week because I'm traveling. Will post as soon as I can. Neuro posted the link.

Upvote 0