What you see is not what you get . . . not even close! (or was my old monitor pl

Sep 29, 2014
I recently had to replace my old monitor. After letting it warm up for 30 min. all I could get out of it was a brightness of 60 something when I needed somewhere around 120 to calibrate it. Its replacement, an Asus 27” incher , was everything I wanted except when it came to editing images.

I do most of my work in ACR, only moving my images into PS when needed. With my old monitor images looked pretty consistent when moved from ACR to PS, and most of the time outside PS. Few if any adjustments were needed. With my new Monitor(calibrated) this no longer true. Right now I’m noticing when I try to slightly smooth out someone’s skin. I get the image just like I want in ACR, but as soon I open it in PS, or worse outside it, that “silky smooth” skin now looks like sandpaper. It’s like pushing the clarity slider to the extreme right. For example, if my clarity setting is at -20 for an image in ACR. If I want to keep the look of the image in PS consistent with what I see ACR I might need to push the clarity slider to -30, or may be even -40. I never had this problem with my old monitor. I used to be able to process a couple of dozen images in a couple of hours. Now I do about a max of 3 images before I feel burnt out.

In the past the images I processed, in general, it looked good on other people’s monitors. This no longer the case. Images that look good on my machine look overexposed on other people’s computers. The only exceptions I’ve come across are two calibrated macs that are used by co-workers in their dealings with printers and publishers. Hell, I’d even say my pictures look better on those machines than they do on mine.

So what’s going on here? Do I need to “man-up” and learn to work with a “real” calibrated monitor? My real concern here is the inconsistency of the images that are moved/exported out of ACR.

Thanks for letting me rant
Robert

ACR is always set to a proprietary color space that is even larger than Pro Photo when editing photos. It then converts the color space down to whatever you specify on export. Both ACR and Lightroom use the same color space and it can't be changed for editing. I believe Photoshop does not work the same way and will only display and work in the color space it is set to using. If your monitor is sRGB, you should be exporting in sRGB and using Photoshop in sRGB. If your monitor is calibrated to Adobe RGB and you export as sRGB files, they may end up looking different outside of ACR. What color space is your monitor, what color space are you exporting, and what color space is Photoshop set to?

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2014
Sorry for the late reply. Life got in the way for a while.

To answer some questions:
My new monitor is an Asus MX279. No information on color space, I assume sRGB.

I calibrate my monitor Spyder 4 pro. It always seemed work with my old monitor.

I'm almost sure I have almost everything set to sRGB. It worked in the past. I've played with different color settings. It seems to make no difference, things look good in ACR and not so good when exported out of ACR.

After doing some research into my problem, I'm starting to think that the quality settings one enters in ACR are not being exported along with the image.

Not the best of pictures, but here is an example of what I'm talking about. Hope you can see it on the small screen.

Robert

Attachments

• 5809x.JPG
    5809x.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
ACR is always set to a proprietary color space that is even larger than Pro Photo when editing photos. It then converts the color space down to whatever you specify on export. Both ACR and Lightroom use the same color space and it can't be changed for editing. I believe Photoshop does not work the same way and will only display and work in the color space it is set to using. If your monitor is sRGB, you should be exporting in sRGB and using Photoshop in sRGB. If your monitor is calibrated to Adobe RGB and you export as sRGB files, they may end up looking different outside of ACR. What color space is your monitor, what color space are you exporting, and what color space is Photoshop set to?

When opening a file in ACR, the color space is shown at the bottom of the pane. You can change the default ACR color space by it by clicking on that color space link and creating a new working color space, it does not have to be 16 bit pro photo, in fact, when I opened a CR2 image at random, it showed pro photo 8 bit. I had to setup a custom preset to make it 16 bit. I don't know why ACR defaulted to 8 bit pro photo, but that's one issue for him to check. I don't use ACR, but use Lightroom and export to Photoshop.

I now have ACR set to 16 bit pro photo, and Photoshop set to pro photo. Now, images opened in ACR open in 16 bit pro photo and are exported to Photoshop in the same color space.

The thing is, ACR and Photoshop can be set to different working color spaces, and images opened directly in Photoshop will use a color space embedded in the image or the default color space in Photoshop which can be totally different from ACR. This all depends on the preferences set in Photoshop.

Its very complicated, and there are warnings if you try to open images in incompatible color spaces, but if you open images separately, they may look different.

Upvote 0
To me it looks more like a resolution thing. I'm not sure how ACR operates but is it possible that it is using a preview that doesn't reflect the full resolution once opened in Photoshop? I see the extra crunchiness in the file in Photoshop vs the file in ACR. If your new monitor is capable of higher resolutions than your old monitor was then it's possible you are seeing the result of that where before it was hidden due to the lower resolution. Any chance you know the specs of both monitors in the resolution department?

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
PhotographyFirst said:

When opening a file in ACR, the color space is shown at the bottom of the pane. You can change the default ACR color space by it by clicking on that color space link and creating a new working color space, it does not have to be 16 bit pro photo, in fact, when I opened a CR2 image at random, it showed pro photo 8 bit. I had to setup a custom preset to make it 16 bit. I don't know why ACR defaulted to 8 bit pro photo, but that's one issue for him to check. I don't use ACR, but use Lightroom and export to Photoshop.

I now have ACR set to 16 bit pro photo, and Photoshop set to pro photo. Now, images opened in ACR open in 16 bit pro photo and are exported to Photoshop in the same color space.

The thing is, ACR and Photoshop can be set to different working color spaces, and images opened directly in Photoshop will use a color space embedded in the image or the default color space in Photoshop which can be totally different from ACR. This all depends on the preferences set in Photoshop.

Its very complicated, and there are warnings if you try to open images in incompatible color spaces, but if you open images separately, they may look different.

No, the color space and bit depth displayed at the bottom of the screen in ACR are the export settings for the file. They do not change that working color space of ACR which is always set to a proprietary color space wider than Pro Photo. Although, without a monitor capable of displaying Pro Photo, it's impossible to see the difference on export unless doing a wide gamut print. Since ACR is for RAW files it doesn't matter what the working color space is anyway as long as it is as wide as possible. The critical factors are having a calibrated monitor and exporting in the same color space as the monitor. My NEC monitor is nice in that it has both sRGB and aRGB modes that let me process files in either color space. If working in Pro Photo or larger, the image will look the same on export in a smaller color space if done in the monitor's set color space.

Upvote 0
llre said:
Sorry for the late reply. Life got in the way for a while.

To answer some questions:
My new monitor is an Asus MX279. No information on color space, I assume sRGB.

I calibrate my monitor Spyder 4 pro. It always seemed work with my old monitor.

I'm almost sure I have almost everything set to sRGB. It worked in the past. I've played with different color settings. It seems to make no difference, things look good in ACR and not so good when exported out of ACR.

After doing some research into my problem, I'm starting to think that the quality settings one enters in ACR are not being exported along with the image.

Not the best of pictures, but here is an example of what I'm talking about. Hope you can see it on the small screen.

Robert

Maybe it's because I am on my crappy laptop right now, but I can't see any difference in the two images. Are you setting Photoshop to sRGB in the menu Edit>Color Settings? Anyone else with a better monitor to use at the moment see any difference?

Your monitor is capable of displaying 97% of the sRGB color space. It also appears to be backlit with LED light instead of fluorescent, which may possibly cause some accuracy issues. Although, if you are exporting and working in sRGB, then I don't think your monitor would be causing the issues you may be seeing. You would only see problems when viewing on other computers and printing, not with the same computer.

Upvote 0