What's on your monopod?

What, if any, head do you have on your monopod?

• None - camera attaches directly to monopod

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Tilt-only head (Manfrotto 234 or similar)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Ball head

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Pan/tilt head

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AdamJ

I'm just curious as to whether most of us use a monopod with or without a head.

I use a ball head. I had one spare. It suits my purposes, although the head weighs as much as the monopod. I'd probably be just as happy with a tilt head, rather less content with no head. Maybe that's just me.

EDIT: I didn't include a voting opinion for a gimbal head as I suspect it would be statistically insignificant!

AdamJ said:
I'm just curious as to whether most of us use a monopod with or without a head.

I use a ball head. I had one spare. It suits my purposes, although the head weighs as much as the monopod. I'd probably be just as happy with a tilt head, rather less content with no head. Maybe that's just me.

EDIT: I didn't include a voting opinion for a gimbal head as I suspect it would be statistically insignificant!
I have actually seen people using the Manfrotto long lens head, which is basically a poor mans gimbal head. I suspect quite a few with 400+ primes use gimbal heads. I use a heavy duty ball head with my 300 f/2.8, but have considered a gimbal head, as they are more practical for moving subjects, although they do work better on a tripod.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Manfrotto 234 with a Wimberley C-12 clamp for my Arca-Swiss-type plates.

I don't see the need for a ballhead, personally. Of the three axes, the tilt head covers pitch and rotating the monopod on its foot covers yaw, and those are the most important axes. I'm almost always using a lens with a tripod collar with the monopod, and the collar covers roll.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.