What's the best Canon L standard zoom for corner sharpness ?

May 20, 2013
docsmith said:
My current travel kit for general photography purposes is the 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 II, and 70-300 L.

I upgraded from the 24-105 f/4 IS Mk 1 to the 24-70 II.

No regrets. The 24-70 II is an amazing landscape lens.

And, for what it is worth, that is a very nice travel kit.

Thanks. I'd have the same three lenses if I opt for the The 24-70 II.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
bitm2007 said:
The reason I was asking is that my 105 Kaeseman B+W CPL comes just into view in the corners of the frame when using my Lee 100mm filter holder (with two filters slots) and 77mm w/a adaptor on my 24-105mm
f4L mk1. Logically I'm thinking that it should be worse on a lens with a 82mm filter thread.

Wow! Really surprised to hear that.

I have your same CPL in a two slot setup, so either you are front-filtering your lens before attaching the WA ring or older lenses aren't optimized for filter ring placement as close as possible to the front element.

Again: test before you buy. LensRentals or a CPS loaner, perhaps?

- A

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
bitm2007 said:
The reason I was asking is that my 105 Kaeseman B+W CPL comes just into view in the corners of the frame when using my Lee 100mm filter holder (with two filters slots) and 77mm w/a adaptor on my 24-105mm
f4L mk1. Logically I'm thinking that it should be worse on a lens with a 82mm filter thread.

Wow! Really surprised to hear that.

I have your same CPL in a two slot setup, so either you are front-filtering your lens before attaching the WA ring or older lenses aren't optimized for filter ring placement as close as possible to the front element.

Again: test before you buy. LensRentals or a CPS loaner, perhaps?

- A

I've just tested it, it's with no other filter in front (just 77mm Lee w/a adaptor and two slots in holder, plus the CPL). If I add in a 3mm think protection filters the CPL is just visible in the corners when using a Lee 100mm holder with just one filter slot at 24mm. It was never a major issue as I had a 17-40mm lens for those situations, which has since been upgraded to the 16-35mm f4 IS.

It's a chunky (8mm think plus filter threads) B+W 105 Kaeseman F Pro CPL purchased way back in 2004. The Lee landscape CPL is considerably slimmer, i'm not sure if the latest B+W version is. The CPL filter also came into view when I had the Canon 28-135mm IS lens (I think that was with a protection filter in front, but I sold that lens 9 years ago so can't test it).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My 105 is this one:
BWKCPMC105 which you can look up at B&H.

It is 3mm threads + 2mm tightening ring + 6mm CPL turning ring = roughly 11mm. (For vignetting purposes, it would be 3mm tucked inside the Lee 105 filter ring and 8mm proud of it at the end.)

There's also an expensive trick club you can get:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856348-REG/B_W_66_1071051_105mm_Kaesemann_Circular_Polarizer.html

It's 105 on the threads but much larger than 105 on the front ring.

"The extra wide filters feature an oversized ring that is much larger than the male threads for attachment to the lens. This oversized ring permits the use of glass that is also larger and helps to prevent vignetting when using wide angle lenses. Lens hoods should not be used in conjunction with extra wide filters as vignetting may occur."

Looks like it's no longer in production, but I'm pretty sure you could find one through other channels. But again: Step 1 is confirming it's a problem with your future 24-something lens.

- A

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
My 105 is this one:
BWKCPMC105 which you can look up at B&H.

It is 3mm threads + 2mm tightening ring + 6mm CPL turning ring = roughly 11mm. (For vignetting purposes, it would be 3mm tucked inside the Lee 105 filter ring and 8mm proud of it at the end.)

There's also an expensive trick club you can get:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856348-REG/B_W_66_1071051_105mm_Kaesemann_Circular_Polarizer.html

It's 105 on the threads but much larger than 105 on the front ring.

"The extra wide filters feature an oversized ring that is much larger than the male threads for attachment to the lens. This oversized ring permits the use of glass that is also larger and helps to prevent vignetting when using wide angle lenses. Lens hoods should not be used in conjunction with extra wide filters as vignetting may occur."

Looks like it's no longer in production, but I'm pretty sure you could find one through other channels. But again: Step 1 is confirming it's a problem with your future 24-something lens.

- A

At first glance the two filters look the same, but mine has both a 105mm front and back filter thread, yours has a 105mm back thread and wider 122mm front thread. Lee have reduced the depth of their Landscape CPL to prevent it coming into view when using wide angle lenses, B+W are using a wider front filter thread to get around the same problem. I don't think i'd ever need to shrew another filter into a CPL attached to the front of the Lee filter system, so both approaches would probably work for me. I know Lee's approach does with the 16-35mm f4 L IS and 24-105mm f4 L IS and probably whatever I replace it with, even with a protection filter in place. Whether you would be able to fit the protection filter (we mentioned in another thread) into your setup is up for debate, but I suspected it would be possible if it's super slim (3.0 or 3.1mm). If you can fit a third fitter slot onto your holder without the CPL coming into view, you would be fine, if not you will probably get away with using a single slot holder at wide angle settings.

Upvote 0
I eventually opted for the 24-70mm f4, after the dreaded "Error 01 , communication between camera and lens faulty. Clean lens contact" error message began to appear on the rear LCD of my 5D mk VI when using my 24-105mm f4 mk 1

I've only used my new purchase on a few outing, but initial impressions are very positive. Corner sharpness appears to be excellent at all focal lengths, and i've yet to notice any performance issues in the middle of the zoom range (which was mentioned in some reviews).

Upvote 0