What's your deal-breaker for the EOS Rs*

If this camera materialises it'll have to have some excellent Mraw or it's off. As someone who shot s dual 5DSr's for two years worth of wedding work it was fun, but the thought of the massive file sizes kills it for me in an era when you can't get a card bigger than 128gb in UHS-ii (I'm used to using 1 card per body per day on the R).

Just some decent pixel binning down to 30mp (ish) would be perfect, the 5Dsr had pretty pathetic Mraw.

Reactions: 1 user

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The EVF MUST be as good as in the Panasonic S 1 or Leica SL.
2 SDs
IBIS
File size reduction (would only use 70 + MP rarely)
An easy way to switch off "nose-tip" focusing (not vital...)
It could keep the Mfn bar, which I grew used to
Without these features, I'd see no reason to upgrade, since I'm quite happy with the R.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
If this camera materialises it'll have to have some excellent Mraw or it's off. As someone who shot s dual 5DSr's for two years worth of wedding work it was fun, but the thought of the massive file sizes kills it for me in an era when you can't get a card bigger than 128gb in UHS-ii (I'm used to using 1 card per body per day on the R).

Just some decent pixel binning down to 30mp (ish) would be perfect, the 5Dsr had pretty pathetic Mraw.
Just wait for the rmk2 and dont get the hi res model.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

My fear is that as a hobbyist an Rs would blow my budget for at least 2 years, so I won't be able to get some nice lenses for it :) I would mainly use the megapixels for extra reach/crop in macro shots, and possibly extra detail for focus stacks.

With that in mind, 'deal breaker' becomes a very low bar. I'd say IBIS and no CFexpress. In the 'nice to have' range: a 1:1 crop video mode, that would allow the 100mm IS for clips of ladybugs snacking on aphids. The 100mm 1:1 mode is a bit too wide and the unstabilized MP-E65 is horribly shaky for handheld 2:1 magnification.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
If it doesn't have any better controls or way to select the AF point than the EOS R, I'll be very unhappy. The touch bar is garbage, especially when we gave up a joystick to get it. I've gotten somewhat used to the touch and drag method of selecting points on the EOS R, but I'd much rather have the sensor that they put on the 1DX III, assuming it works as well as it should. I also desperately want more customizable buttons. I don't have any hope that Canon will do as well as Sony and give us a ton of completely free buttons that we can assign to anything we want, but I want back at least the number of buttons the EOS R gave up compared to the 5D4.

Upvote 0