When can we expect the ND Filter Adapter for EF 11-24 use, etc. ?

Mar 25, 2011
I'd preorder if you want one on Feb 28, there is no guarantee as to if/when they will be in continuous stock. I think that Canon staged production to make sure that plain adapters were in continuous stock, then adapters with the control ring, then the filter adapters. They may start making batches of the former again after the filter adapter batch ships.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks guys! In that case I have make up my mind on the R as a back-up camera soon. I'm looking for clarity on how the R handles the big whites with AF speed and accuracy. I don't expect it to match the 1DX2 but would still like to be able to use it on occasion without being totally disgusted. AlanF posted this link where it appears pretty disheartening but other folk seem to say the opposite. https://www.holgercremer.org/single...the-EOS-R-is-useless-for-Wildlife-Photography

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
That article is really strange compared to my experience with the R. Granted, my biggest lens is the 70-200 2.8, but with fast primes, I have been consistently impressed by the AF accuracy and low light ability on the R. It's really the one thing that makes me stick with the R and not go back to the 5D4.

Maybe this is different when you get into the big white lenses? I'm really confused by this. The one thing the author hates about the R is the one thing I think it does really well.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That article is really strange compared to my experience with the R. Granted, my biggest lens is the 70-200 2.8, but with fast primes, I have been consistently impressed by the AF accuracy and low light ability on the R. It's really the one thing that makes me stick with the R and not go back to the 5D4.

Maybe this is different when you get into the big white lenses? I'm really confused by this. The one thing the author hates about the R is the one thing I think it does really well.

I'm also confused and concerned. When we get out of the deep freeze I will head over to the camera shop with my 400. Good to hear about the 70-200 because that would get used, but can you comment on adding an extender?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I got to speak to my first hands on user/owner of the R last night. He likes the camera but rates the AF in the 5D MkIII range until the subject gets smaller and/or further away and/or moves faster, then he said it breaks down pretty quickly. For closer people sized subjects the AF is amazing, but he didn’t even try it as a spare body for well illuminated sports as he felt it wasn’t up to the job.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I got to speak to my first hands on user/owner of the R last night. He likes the camera but rates the AF in the 5D MkIII range until the subject gets smaller and/or further away and/or moves faster, then he said it breaks down pretty quickly. For closer people sized subjects the AF is amazing, but he didn’t even try it as a spare body for well illuminated sports as he felt it wasn’t up to the job.

Ooh. That doesn't sound very good for me. What a shame. I'll have a report from the camera shop in due course once it warms up here.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What I find interesting is the massive variation in people’s reaction to the AF. Viggo rates it higher than his old 1DX MkII, my friend won’t even try and shoot bowl level college football with it. The Northrop’s laid out AF case use very similar to my friend, Fro got on much better with it in his well balanced long review video, Pete McKinnon really likes the R but is much more video centric though even he says the photo IQ is higher than his 1DX MkII.

It seems to me that trying these things for yourself for your specific use is the only way to gauge how well, or not, they might work for yourself.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
I'm tempted to buy the R but will not unless I can have the adapter before mid March. Has anyone any inside knowledge on what's up with that item?

Jack

Jack, just wondering if you were still looking for the ND adapter? I live in Ontario and the Henrys I deal with have one at their store. Let me know if you are interested.

Sue

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Hi Sue, I sure am and I have until about March 20th to get camera and kit lens and adapter. I got great deals on my 1DX2 and 400 DO through Canon Price Watch (ultimately it was linked to Camera Canada), like close to $1000 off each one but that was not in the first year of availability. New camera's have very little discount.

I've pretty much decided to buy the R with RF 24-105 L as a kit since my daughter now wants it.

I'll check Henry's internet page. Thanks very much!

Jack

Hi Jack, if you can't find the ND adapter in Alberta, you could possibly have it mailed to you from Ontario, if that's the route you want to go? Like you, I use the 1DX2 for my wildlife photography, and have read numerous articles on the EOS R which left me with just more questions. I did end up buying the R as a back-up camera, mainly for photographing my granddaughter. Our weather...like yours...has been awful this winter, so I have not been able to really test the R. There has been a lot of good information from several members about the R, but I will add a link to an article (actually several articles) written by Andy Rouse, which maybe helpful in answering some of your questions.

Sue

P.s you can email me for further info regarding the adapter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It hasn't arrived out west here just yet or maybe it came and is not in the system yet.

Anyone know if the adapter will take a separately purchased polarizing filter or are the bodies actually different? Would seem dumb for this not to be the case but ... many say "dumb Canon". ;)

Jack
Take a look at the Canon web site, they still list Feb 28 as the availability date.

The specification page does not say that it takes a standard 52mm screw in filter, so I'd get the one you need, the drop in Circular polarizing filter goes for $310 bare, so it costs less when bought with the adapter assembly. They don't list a separate ND filter, just the assembly. Canon could possibly tell you, but I wonder???

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/...s-r-with-drop-in-circular-polarizing-filter-a
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/...er-ef-eos-r-with-drop-in-variable-nd-filter-a

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have until about March 20th to get camera and kit lens and adapter.

I've pretty much decided to buy the R with RF 24-105 L as a kit
I’ve pretty much decided to buy the RP with RF 24-105 kit (which comes with the vanilla adapter) and the ND drop in adapter. The catch is that I’m leaving for a trip on Sunday 3/3 (Jack, I’ll be one province west of you). Wonder if everything will arrive in time? Of course, at this point the forecast is for snow/rain the whole week I’m there, so it may be a moot point.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Take a look at the Canon web site, they still list Feb 28 as the availability date.

The specification page does not say that it takes a standard 52mm screw in filter, so I'd get the one you need, the drop in Circular polarizing filter goes for $310 bare, so it costs less when bought with the adapter assembly. They don't list a separate ND filter, just the assembly. Canon could possibly tell you, but I wonder???
They now list the ND separate, it’s $70 more than the ND adapter; as you point out, the CPL is cheaper with the adapter, too. I suppose I’ll just buy both adapters.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Canada and crummy weather are what we're about this last month or so, although in Alberta we still get a fair amount of sunshine so it seems warmer ... until you step out!

Neuro, my R will actually become my daughters after Costa Rica and I'll be left with an adapter and a decision on R, RP or wait for a more MP Rs, so your feedback will be valuable to me. Hope you get some sunshine.

Jack

Upvote 0