When can we expect the ND Filter Adapter for EF 11-24 use, etc. ?

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well, Andy sure can talk, bla bla bla but still very worthwhile. ;) It seems he's settling into R + 1DX2 and that makes sense. He didn't actually admit it but there is no substitute for FPS in certain circumstances, but I agree, it is overblown. I'm confident we'll love having the R in Costa Rica.

He shows how handy the adapter with the control ring can be and doesn't curse the slide bar, rather just uses it to his advantage. Not a perfect camera, but it'll serve me, oops, my daughter just fine.

Jack

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Hi Jack, no problem. I have decided to purchase the Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Variable ND Filter which I will pick-up this Thursday. Once again Environment Canada has issued a blowing snow advisory and very high winds (100km/h), with more snow on the way:mad:.

I did speak with Canon Canada today, they did confirm that the adapter would not take a standard 52mm filter, as it is specifically designed for the EOS R. Therefore, the Canon PL-C52 (WII) drop-in circular polarizing filter is not compatible. They stated they did not have the information as to what the actual filter thread size is. They also could not answer as to when the separate filters will be available, in Canada.

You are correct, if shooting when the filter is not needed, you would have to either buy the Drop-in Clear Filter A, or just use the standard Canon mount adapter EF-EOS R (I think that may come free with the camera). When I bought the R, I purchased the adapter with the control ring, just payed the difference. Using the clear filter should not degrade the photo. Like most of Canon's super telephoto lenses, they come with a 52mm drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter. According to Canon, because the lens optics are designed to include a glass filter, you must always install the filter holder, even if no gelatin filter is fitted. I think with the new 400mm f/2.8 L IS III and 600mm f/4 L IS III, Canon stopped using the 52mm gelatin holder and instead included the drop-in 52mm adapter. So same with the Canon Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with Variable ND Filter. The adapter was designed with the ND filter in mind, the filter becomes part of the optical formula.

Yes, Andy can sure talk lol.

Sue

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Sue, -30 C here this AM. I wonder who's getting the extreme heat or is global warming slowing?:) I bought the polarizing filter for the 300 2.8 II and never used it. I believe it fits the 400 DO II and probably would be useful for water shots of birds, so I'm wondering if you have used one with a long lens? As of today the ND adapter is not in Edmonton or Calgary. I'm surprised they'd let you pay the difference on adapters but I'll also try to push for that too, thanks for the heads up.

Jack

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Jack -20°C here this morning, so I guess I can't complain, except we are going to get slammed with a massive snow storm tonight!

I bought the Canon PL-C52 (WII) several years ago and never used it until last year. For several years, I have been photographing this same pair of bald eagles along the Grand River. As you are probably quite aware, being a nature photographer you have to cooperate with mother nature. She provides the light often changing from one minute to the next. I use the polariser in situations where it is difficult to control the highlights, to reduce reflections in the water and to increase the blue colour tone in the sky. I use it with my Canon 200-400mm 1.4x and the 300mm 2.8.

Wanting to be more creative with my photography, I looked into buying ND filters but didn't want to pay the price...until the EOS R came out.

Hope the ND adapter arrives soon for you.

Sue

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Jack -20°C here this morning, so I guess I can't complain, except we are going to get slammed with a massive snow storm tonight!

I bought the Canon PL-C52 (WII) several years ago and never used it until last year. For several years, I have been photographing this same pair of bald eagles along the Grand River. As you are probably quite aware, being a nature photographer you have to cooperate with mother nature. She provides the light often changing from one minute to the next. I use the polariser in situations where it is difficult to control the highlights, to reduce reflections in the water and to increase the blue colour tone in the sky. I use it with my Canon 200-400mm 1.4x and the 300mm 2.8.

Wanting to be more creative with my photography, I looked into buying ND filters but didn't want to pay the price...until the EOS R came out.

Hope the ND adapter arrives soon for you.

Sue

Thanks for this. I really must dust that filter off and take it with me for the next shots where water is involved. It's easy to buy things and then kind of forget that you "really needed them". Reminds me of my sky tracker that wasn'tt very handy without a flip screen when I was using the 6D. An R changes that. No ND as of today but warmer temperatures ... maybe and not much snow.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0