When I'm Dead and Gone ...

How will you save your images for posterity?

• None. Just don't care.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Books.

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Perpetual website.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • CD's and flash drives.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • External hard drives.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • Prints.

Votes: 16 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry about that catchy title (from Blood, Sweat & Tears), but ... just wondering what everyone out there is thinking/doing when it comes to saving your images for posterity? Most of us have a few tons of images we work on and covet each day, and add thousands more from time to time. So then what? How are you going to leave them for your family and friends when you're "gone"?

Shoe boxes full of old slides, negatives, prints, memory cards and thumb drives!

Seriously though, I'm struggling with the answer to this question right now. I have five+ decades of collecting photos and the "achieve" grows larger each week. I've seen the digital world go through too many generations of media to have any confidence that any digital form I pick will have lasting value. And, I know no one is going to maintain my digital library, do back-ups, and migrations to new media formats or new software/file formats. At this point my thinking is that caustic editing is in order and that only the "BOB's" get printed and kept. (BOB= best of the best). So, for me I think the answer will be either individual prints or printed books.

I'll be very interested in other's responses.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
JumboShrimp said:
Sorry about that catchy title (from Blood, Sweat & Tears), but ...
#1 favorite song, ever, "And When I Die". Written by Laura Nyro who also recorded it as well as Peter Paul & Mary's performances.
".......swear there ain't no Heaven but I pray there ain't no hell".......

#2 fave is in the same album, BS&T's version of Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog, Jr.,, "God Bless The Child".
Love the big brassy sound, David Clayton Thomas' vocals are just superb. He's still got that voice and energy.
-------

Dead me's photos, I've no clue if my surviving family will have much interest in most of them or will even go through them to see if there's any they want to save aside from whatever family prints I've made by then.
I know I'm having trouble with my Parents' archives, many faded snapshot prints, some few negatives and slides, reels of 8 mm.
I've some of my maternal grandfather's photo and paint work that was rather fine, I'm keeping all of that for sure, but when I'm gone I doubt there'll be further interest.

It's a tough question you pose.
All the effort and love put into these images, what will become of it?
I wonder about my rather extensive tool collection too, office work types have little interest or inclination for hands on activities.

"......never know by livin', only my dyin' will tell........"

Upvote 0
It will be up to my family, if they value any of them they will keep them. If they don't they won't. I'm certainly not planning on burdening anyone with the thought that they need to keep them because I wanted them to last.

And I think this whole thing about digital media and the loss of pictures is hardly new, there never has been a media that will last without ongoing care for your average person's pictures.

Upvote 0
When it comes to my stills, they are just for me, my fun, my hobby. When I'm gone I won't care anyway, but I doubt they'll be of any interest to anybody except close family, and even then, they don't show that much interest just now anyway.

When it comes to video, I guess it'll be up to my customers. I try and save rushes for as long as possible after the event, but there comes a time (less so of an issue now with massive hard drives becoming so cheap) when traditionally I've had to clear drives and servers.

I always consult the customer first and give them the opportunity to procure a hard drive for me to copy the material onto before deletion, and some stuff I keep as an archive, if it is of something notable, reuasable, etc.

Upvote 0
It is sad, they say this generation will have the most amount of photos taken of themselves of all the generations, probably combined, but, will have the least amount of photos to show for it once they're gone. This is such a tough question... my grandpa, who was a "pro" photographer back in his day, has many shoe box's full of slides and what not... he even has given me old film strips and what not that he holds dear. But now, we have CD's which may become extinct in 5-10 years? Apple has stopped offering CD readers/burner in their latest computers... As well as netbooks and the like. External hard drives look good if entrusted to the right hands... assuming that they keep their relevancy in 10-15 years.... Perhaps then they will have some other storage device that replaces modern hard drives. In the end, prints are really the only was to ensure your images live on (assuming they dont eventually meet the demise of the trash can).

Upvote 0
I archive the 'best of the best' as a RAW file and a .tiff copy ... install both on a SSD storage drive, labeled by year and subject. I also keep a copy of every image I sold or published here as well, just for copyright back-up and evidence of my ownership.

The rest are just 'images' ... I store them for myself, and our memories of all our trips, adventures, kids sports while growing up, and family holidays.

Those, I just save as .jpg on spare HD (older) drives which were once my HD in my PC or laptop ... all my PC and Laptop now run on SSD ... so I have numerous HD for storage of less critical images ...

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
A select set is on Flickr, which will be around forever. Right?? :eek:
I do not know if the "evolution of species" is regressing. :-\
But his joke is treated as concrete fact by many people who only knew digital photography. These people believe that Internet companies have long life. :-X

When archaeologists seek traces of the present civilization, will they find any readable photo? ::)

On the other hand, I would be happy if all SELFIE disappear from the earth. :p

Upvote 0
Don't much care. In the film era, I would periodically bore my family to death with slide shows. It was painfully apparent they were most interested in slides that included each of them.

So, my photos are primarily for my enjoyment. If I feel others would have an interest in a photo, I share it with them. But no one can enjoy them as much as I do. When I look at a photo I've taken, I can remember nearly everything about that moment.

As for exit music, my favorite is "Please Speak Well of Me" by the Weepies.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ajfotofilmagem said:
When archaeologists seek traces of the present civilization, will they find any readable photo?

Perhaps we should start advocating that everyone print their photo libraries on 3D printers, as fodder for future archeologists (or perhaps extraterrestrial xenoarcheologists if we manage to wipe out our own species).

Upvote 0