Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13540"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=13540">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>A question I am asked daily

</strong>We were told ages ago that any replacement of the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162616-USA/Canon_2577A002AA_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6L_IS_USM.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS</a> would happen after the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/973129-REG/canon_5176b002_ef_200_400mm_f_4l_is.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x</a> had begun shipping. That time is nearly upon us.</p>
<p>The new 100-400 does indeed exist and is being actively tested, however Canon is in no rush to announce the lens. We’re told that the current 100-400 still sells at an amazing clip and outpaces the 70-300L by a 4 to 1 margin.</p>
<p>Canon may also be waiting to see how the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x sells, would people really hold off buying it if a new 100-400 was available?</p>
<p>With Nikon announcing their new 80-400, 2013 will probably be the year we finally see the new 100-400 from Canon. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/another-ef-100-400-patent/" target="_blank">Here’s a patent for the new 100-400 optical formula</a>, notice that the new design starts at f/4 instead of f/4.5.</p>
<p><em><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/162616-USA/Canon_2577A002AA_100_400mm_f_4_5_5_6L_IS_USM.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS</a></em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Tanja said:
if you have sources to tell you that there are prototypes.

why don´t they tell you at least if it is a push-pull design or not?

or is a push-pull design tested and a "normal" design?
I thought it was certain that it was NOT a push-pull? All rumors I heard point to twist-zoom, but I could ofc be mistaken.

I am however NOT considering this if it IS push-pull. From Canon's pov, they could also keep selling the old one, if the new one has twist-zoom. Some people prefer push-pull. Some don't.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I originally did not like the idea of a push-pull design, but have changed my mind after using my 400L for a few years.
Some of the advantages that this design made available when it was designed are:

Short Storage length, shorter than the 70-200mmL
Close focusing, for filling a frame with small birds which often let you get close.
Is has worked for me down to 1/20 sec, far better than the IS on my 400mm f/5.6.

Newer lens technology now allows for shorter lens designs, better IS, all with close focusing. I'd certainly welcome a new model that had those attributes, push pull or not. I'd prefer the smallest one, whichever it is.

My 400mm f/5.6 is too long to easily store, and won't focus closely, plus a lack of IS can be a issue for stills where light in not its best. Having to use a high shutter speed requires high ISO's unless I have bright light.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I originally did not like the idea of a push-pull design, but have changed my mind after using my 400L for a few years.
Some of the advantages that this design made available when it was designed are:

Close focusing, for filling a frame with small birds which often let you get close.
Is has worked for me down to 1/20 sec, far better than the IS on my 400mm f/5.6.

Newer lens technology now allows for shorter lens designs, better IS, all with close focusing. I'd certainly welcome a new model that had those attributes, push pull or not. I'd prefer the smallest one, whichever it is.

My 400mm f/5.6 is too long to easily store, and won't focus closely, plus a lack of IS can be a issue for stills where light in not its best. Having to use a high shutter speed requires high ISO's unless I have bright light.
+1

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I don't mind a push-pull design in general, but the implementation on the 100-400L is just flat horrible. You can't lock the zoom without moving the focus ring. It's also hard to hold the lens so that you're hand isn't on either the focus ring or the lock ring (which, when unlocked, moves the focus ring with it) which creates accidental focus movements when you are zooming. The focus ring should be on the outside and the grip on the inside - just like the 70-200s are. Also, you can't have your thumb on the switches when your hand is on the zoom slider.

It's just a sub-optimal design.

Upvote 0
<p>Canon may also be waiting to see how the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x sells, would people really hold off buying it if a new 100-400 was available?</p>

HUH?? at a price of $12,000....compared to say...$3000 at the high end for a updated new 100-400...I dont think the 200-400 is even on anyones radar except for the high rollers who actually "use" the lens everyday for its intended use... I'll never buy a 200-400 at my level maybe rent a few times and thats it..

Upvote 0
AlanF said:

+1
+2

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
bvukich said:
AlanF said:

+1
+2
+3
I really don't understand all the hate over push/pull. The lens is quite short for a 400. My copy is also quite sharp. I am intrigued by the larger aperture and latest generation of IS. So while I would love to upgrade, price will be the determining factor for me. I don't give a rat's ass whether it's twist or push/pull, only reasonably priced.

Upvote 0
Tanja said:
if you have sources to tell you that there are prototypes.
why don´t they tell you at least if it is a push-pull design or not?

Personally I doubt CR has any good inside information about Canon :-> though there's a beta tester around here that often comments on current prototypes and seems to be very reliable...

... but concerning your question, the answer most likely would be that there are several prototypes with different characteristics and designs, and only God and Canon knows which one they'll select for production.

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that the current 100-400 still sells at an amazing clip and outpaces the 70-300L by a 4 to 1 margin.

Now *that* is a surprising and interesting piece of information, if it's true and since Canon is not in the habit of replacing best-selling lenses without a good reason it means one of these two things:

1. (less likely) The release of a new 100-400 will take some time after all because there's no immediate market pressure

2. (more likely) The new 100-400 will be much more expensive, i.e. generating more profit for Canon, and will be an "upgrade" to the existing lens rather than a replacement on the same level - more like 24-70 mk1 to mk2.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
1. (less likely) The release of a new 100-400 will take some time after all because there's no immediate market pressure

2. (more likely) The new 100-400 will be much more expensive, i.e. generating more profit for Canon, and will be an "upgrade" to the existing lens rather than a replacement on the same level - more like 24-70 mk1 to mk2.

1. There is no market pressure, nobody makes a better lens in the size/price range. That's why Canon hasn't changed the 100-400mm and the 400mm f5.6.

2. New price will be similar to Nikon 80-400mm, probably something like $500 more.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.