When is the New 100-400 Coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
Evidently, no one but me saw today's press release. I wonder how CRguy and everyone else missed it?

[quote author=Canon USA]
Canon U.S.A. Announces The Availability Of The Versatile EF 100-400mm F/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

MELVILLE, N.Y., May 22, 2013 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a dynamic new telephoto zoom lens, the EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. Designed for use with all Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras, the new L-series lens has high-performance Image Stabilization technology, offering exceptional shooting flexibility and range, ideal for sports or wildlife photography.

To help deliver beautiful, soft, image backgrounds, the lens features a 9-blade circular aperture. The lens also utilizes inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.

Using advanced optical materials such as fluorite crystal and UD glass, the new lens provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, and delivers high-quality images with high levels of resolution, color fidelity and contrast. The new lens also includes dust- and water-resistant construction designed for extended usage under harsh conditions.

The EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM zoom lens is expected to be available on the 6th Tuesday of November or when pigs fly over snowbanks in hell, whichever comes first, for an estimated retail price of $2,799.00.

For more information about Canon's new EF 100-400mm f/4L IS USM lens, and a full list of product specifications, hold your breath until you turn blue then visit www.usa.canon.com.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. With approximately $40 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents registered in 2012† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies in 2013. In 2012, Canon U.S.A. has received the PCMag.com Readers' Choice Award for Service and Reliability in the digital camera and printer categories for the ninth consecutive year, and for camcorders for the past two years. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.
[/quote]

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
veng said:
mrsfotografie said:
candyman said:
veng said:
I'm really surprised by the 4 to 1 out selling of the 70-300. The 70-300 is vastly superior to the 100-400 from 70-300mm. While no, it's not a great birding lens, it's extra 2 stops of IS and extra IQ are above and beyond the 100-400. As far as the method by which it zooms, is a complete non-issue.

I am surprised too.
The 300mm on crop 1.6 (for example 7D) is still 480mm. That is more than 300 or 400mm on FF.
Of course light conditions must be good - so there is a little limitation

I'm not so surprised considering most people probably use the 100-400 on a crop, that gives you 640 mm equivalent :) Add to this the fact the 100-400 is still the best way to get to 400 mm with IS on a budget, and that it 'collapses' to a very reasonable size as mentioned earlier, still make this lens a winner.
If the IS was equal, and the IQ was equal, I'd agree. But the IS is 2 stops better, which I personally find incredibly important on something as long as 300-400mm. Yes, it's 400mm, but it's not that much longer than 300mm, and it is considerbly larger and heavier than the 70-300.

Then again, the vast majority of people buying camera gear are quite ignorant of what they're buying, so perhaps it shouldn't surprise me that much that people buy the longest thing they could afford.

Not surprised - the 100-400 is the must have lens for many amateurs. Even though 70-300 has better IQ and is significantly, the extra 100mm is all that matters

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
Now that the 200-400 has been released and is shipping, will the 100-400 II be released soon? From a few comments I have heard from Amazon and B&H, it seems demand for the 200-400 is light. Perhaps by the fall (we can only hope) the new 100-400 will be released.

May be, please, pretty please Canon-Gods

Upvote 0

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
veng, I did a lot of research before buying the 100-400 F4.5-5.6 lens. I can use extenders where 70-300 can't. Sometimes a pic is so important that a less than perfectly sharp pic is OK. I haven't tried Extenders yet but will in the Future. Maybe the new 100-400 will be out of my reach cost wise for longer than I could wait. I bought because $1,549.99 was a good price to me! Time will tell if I did the right thing. Neuro has answered your comment better than what I deleted from my post. Enjoy your 70-300 that you must buy to back your claim.
Light conditions come into play with every lens. Some lenses are better than others. Some photographers learn to deal with less than ideal lighting.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
finally we get some real measurements, how the current 100-400 fares against the other 400mm lenses from Canon (except 400DO). As expected, by today's standards it is not really good @400mm.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/lensrentals-com-tests-the-ef-200-400-f4l-is-1-4x/
200400imatest1.jpg

I would like a 100-400/4.0-5.6 L IS Mk. II, turning zoom (not push-pull), with 4 stop IS, full wheather-sealing, 9 aperture blades and IQ matching the current 400/5.6 at 400mm, f/5.6 ...

For the flexibility of a zoom lens and IS I would be prepared to pay up to twice the price of the current 400/5.6 for it, But not more. :)

P.S. The EF 400/5.6 currently retails for Euro 1260,- including 20% VAT where I live ...

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
AvTvM said:
I would like a 100-400/4.0-5.6 L IS Mk. II, turning zoom (not push-pull), with 4 stop IS, full wheather-sealing, 9 aperture blades and IQ matching the current 400/5.6 at 400mm, f/5.6 ...

I'm rather agnostic to the traditional versus push-pull. Those of us who used Vivitar series 1 70-210, not a few years back, grew accustomed to the push pull design and find the current drama quite amusing. I've rented the 100-400 and find that the length is a great advantage as well, so if push-pull gives us that, and/or helps keep the cost down, then wahoo go team go.

I don't know if this could be done for under $3K or not, but a refreshed 100-400 has got to be consistent with the apparent roadmap re: resolving power, imho. accordingly I would desire optical performance on par with the 70-200 f/2.8 II, including use of a 1.4x. These three (70-200 f/2.8 II, updated 100-400, 1.4x) would make a great combo. I'll have to start saving up...

as for the 70-300, its has far too much focal length overlap with my 70-200 f/2.8 to be of interest; the latter is optically superior as well, even with 1.4x attached.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dlleno said:
as for the 70-300, its has far too much focal length overlap with my 70-200 f/2.8 to be of interest; the latter is optically superior as well, even with 1.4x attached.

Really? Doesn't look like that to me, not away from the center with both at f/5.6 and certainly not anywhere across the frame with both wide open.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
dlleno said:

Really? Doesn't look like that to me, not away from the center with both at f/5.6 and certainly not anywhere across the frame with both wide open.

I admit this was a single very quick look at 300mm f/5.6 near the center, and not as broad or complete of an investigation as my statement implied. hasty generalization on my part; in fact I meant to say "appears" instead of "is", but got distracted and hit the post button anyway. shouldn't have made such a blanket statement. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Evidently, no one but me saw today's press release. I wonder how CRguy and everyone else missed it?

[quote author=Canon USA]
Canon U.S.A. Announces The Availability Of The Versatile EF 100-400mm F/4-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens

MELVILLE, N.Y., May 22, 2013 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a dynamic new telephoto zoom lens, the EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. Designed for use with all Canon EOS Digital SLR cameras, the new L-series lens has high-performance Image Stabilization technology, offering exceptional shooting flexibility and range, ideal for sports or wildlife photography.

To help deliver beautiful, soft, image backgrounds, the lens features a 9-blade circular aperture. The lens also utilizes inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms for fast and accurate autofocusing.

Using advanced optical materials such as fluorite crystal and UD glass, the new lens provides excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, and delivers high-quality images with high levels of resolution, color fidelity and contrast. The new lens also includes dust- and water-resistant construction designed for extended usage under harsh conditions.

The EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM zoom lens is expected to be available on the 6th Tuesday of November or when pigs fly over snowbanks in hell, whichever comes first, for an estimated retail price of $2,799.00.

For more information about Canon's new EF 100-400mm f/4L IS USM lens, and a full list of product specifications, hold your breath until you turn blue then visit www.usa.canon.com.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. With approximately $40 billion in global revenue, its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), ranks third overall in U.S. patents registered in 2012† and is one of Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies in 2013. In 2012, Canon U.S.A. has received the PCMag.com Readers' Choice Award for Service and Reliability in the digital camera and printer categories for the ninth consecutive year, and for camcorders for the past two years. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.
[/quote]

Its actually the same lens but in the new paint shade of the markII superzooms but priced $1000 higher

Upvote 0

RGF

Jul 13, 2012
iaind said:
neuroanatomist said:

[quote author=Canon USA]

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Its actually the same lens but in the new paint shade of the markII superzooms but priced $1000 higher
[/quote]

Only an extra grand. We got off cheap -I was expecting lipstick on the pitot cost at least $1,500

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.