Which camera should I buy for a first timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDub

I R Photographer
Oct 5, 2011
Montréal, Québec
mediarare.com
Another +1 for the T3i. I still have my T2i (even though I invested in a 5DM3) and use it often. The main advantage of the T3i is the articulating screen--which is VERY useful for composing video and stills. For optics, I'd skip the kit lens and get a EF-S 15-85mm IS USM. Great lens plus IS! This combo will make you smile. And Magic Lantern is a must. It's super easy to install and bumps the camera up with a whole range of "high end" features.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
tiger82 said:
Why hasn't anyone recommended a T5i w/18-55? Or with one of the newer Rokinon Cine lenses?

Because the t5i and t4i are basically the same body, the 18-55 Stm len is still and stm lens and the technology for smoot auto focus still isn't at an acceptable level, and with that in mind, manual focus is going to be the same regardless if you are using a t4i, t5i, or as many of us suggest, t3i.

As for the Rokinon... they are good, but I don't believe they have image stabilization and something like the 15-85 with IS or the 24-105 with IS might be a better option.

Upvote 0
Salah Yousef said:
Thank's everyone. I bought a Canon 600D/T3i. It comes with 18-55mm lenses.

What do you guys recommend for good lenses and accessories ?

I have a tripod and small bag where I can put the camera and one lens.

You are going to need all of the following to make a decent film:

Install Magic Lantern
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 and a Canon 50 1.4 may be all you need.
Tiffen 77mm variable ND filter Must! Get a 58mm-77mm reducer so you can use the Tiffen on the 50 1.4 as well -this will get you all the shallow DOF you will ever need,even in daylight.

Audio gear is a must: Rode videomic pro, get a Zoom H4 or H6(better), boom pole. Bad audio ruins good footage everytime.
Tripod
Slider, if you can afford it.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Etienne said:
Salah Yousef said:

Install Magic Lantern
Tiffen 77mm variable ND filter Must! Get a 58mm-77mm reducer so you can use the Tiffen on the 50 1.4 as well -this will get you all the shallow DOF you will ever need,even in daylight.

Audio gear is a must: Rode videomic pro, get a Zoom H4 or H6(better), boom pole. Bad audio ruins good footage everytime.
Tripod

what about one of those weighted inertia devices that look like a C. those smooth out hand held and walking shots.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Etienne said:
Salah Yousef said:

Install Magic Lantern

Tripod

what about one of those weighted inertia devices that look like a C. those smooth out hand held and walking shots.
They are good for lightweight camcorders. I use a Shape bracket with dual hand grip ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734304-REG/Shape_wlb_PA1100_PAPARAZZI_I.html I mount the camera sideways and screw a hand grip on the end to get dual grip) This Paparazzi II looks good http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734317-REG/Shape_wlb_PA1200PRO_PAPARAZZI_II_PRO.html. Some people like the circular grips like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381894-REG/Manfrotto_595B_595B_Fig_Rig_Camera.html .

I also use a shoulder brace (homemade one).

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
jdramirez said:
Etienne said:
Salah Yousef said:

Install Magic Lantern

Tripod

They are good for lightweight camcorders. I use a Shape bracket with dual hand grip ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734304-REG/Shape_wlb_PA1100_PAPARAZZI_I.html I mount the camera sideways and screw a hand grip on the end to get dual grip) This Paparazzi II looks good http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734317-REG/Shape_wlb_PA1200PRO_PAPARAZZI_II_PRO.html. Some people like the circular grips like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381894-REG/Manfrotto_595B_595B_Fig_Rig_Camera.html .

What's the paparazzi thing used for mind if I ask ?

Upvote 0
Salah Yousef said:
Etienne said:
jdramirez said:
Etienne said:
Salah Yousef said:

Install Magic Lantern

Tripod

What's the paparazzi thing used for mind if I ask ?

Hand held camera work, and you can attach accessories like Audio recorder, mic, external monitor

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I recommend waiting.

I recommend waiting and seeing what kit the college has that you can hire / borrow.

Use the time in the meantime to get to grips with your camera, try the settings, read some books on what kelvins are (very important for video) set yourself little tests like 'today I shall shoot with my lens set to 50mm only' etc.
You will learn perspective.

Unless your college is shooting on ENG's or s16 etc then it's likely that there are EF mount lenses kicking about somewhere in the department.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then I would look at decent support. A tripod. A Sachtler. Ace.

Crawl, climb, stumble, walk, run. You don't need your nike airs just yet.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
I recommend waiting.

I recommend waiting and seeing what kit the college has that you can hire / borrow.

Use the time in the meantime to get to grips with your camera, try the settings, read some books on what kelvins are (very important for video) set yourself little tests like 'today I shall shoot with my lens set to 50mm only' etc.

Unless your college is shooting on ENG's or s16 etc then it's likely that there are EF mount lenses kicking about somewhere in the department.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then I would look at decent support. A tripod. A Sachtler. Ace.

I won't go to college now. I will apply within the next 2-4 years. I bought the camera to educate myself for now.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Salah Yousef said:
paul13walnut5 said:
I recommend waiting.

I won't go to college now. I will apply within the next 2-4 years. I bought the camera to educate myself for now.

Don't make the newbie mistake of buying a lot of gear on other folks advice.

Use what you have. As you progress you'll hit walls, then buy the gear you need to climb over them.

There are five solutions to every problem, and your problems are not mine, or anybody elses.

I'll stand by the tripod suggestion though.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Salah Yousef said:
paul13walnut5 said:
I recommend waiting.

Don't make the newbie mistake of buying a lot of gear on other folks advice.

Use what you have. As you progress you'll hit walls, then buy the gear you need to climb over them.

There are five solutions to every problem, and your problems are not mine, or anybody elses.

I'll stand by the tripod suggestion though.

Am thinking of getting an external mic and lenses that's all.
However I still don't know what lenses I should get.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
verysimplejason said:
Salah Yousef said:
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-77VND-VARIABLE-FILTER-Camera/dp/B004Z55VP0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Is this the Tiffen filter that you recommended me to buy ? Will it fit on my camera ?

That's a good VND. If it were me, I'll just buy the 82mm if it's available and then just get step rings. Your filter size will depend on the size of your lens filter threads.

I prefer hard plastic hoods over filters and some step up rings aren't well made so they can get stuck in the grooves, so you want to be careful with those. I have heard stories of people having to cut off the step up ring and it sounds awful.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
If your main purpose is shooting video, I'd probably steer you towards something that was actually designed to shoot video rather than a still camera that just has video functionality grafted on as an afterthought (as all DSLRs do, IMO). Don't get me wrong, you can certainly shoot movies with a DSLR, but IMO that's like buying a Toyota SUV to tow the space shuttle. It can sort of do the job under the right circumstances, but it isn't really the right tool for the job.

You can probably find a used XH-A1 or even an XH-A1S in that price range. They have image stabilization that actually works well for video purposes (unlike DSLRs). They have dual XLR audio inputs with phantom power (as opposed to an unbalanced 1/8" connection with no phantom power like DSLRs have), a switchable ND filter, manual control over pretty much everything, zebra stripes to quickly spot overexposed areas, etc. They're designed to be a "grab it and forget it" all-in-one ENG/EFP package, and they do that job well.

About the only thing the XH series doesn't have is a removable lens, but the superzoom it comes with is reasonably solid, IMO. It has a 35mm photographic equivalent range of 32.5mm - 650mm (and that's before you kick in the digital zoom) at f/1.6 to f/9.5, depending on zoom setting. You probably won't want to use it at its widest setting too often because of the barrel distortion, but that clears up nicely by about 6mm (equivalent to a 43.2mm FOV on a full-frame camera).

If you can manage to save up a little more money, I've seen used XL-H1A camcorders for somewhere in the neighborhood of $2,500. That's the removable-lens version of the XH-A1. In addition to supporting special-purpose XL-series lenses designed for the XL series of camcorder, it also can be adapted (officially) to use EF lenses (with a whopping 7.2x crop factor).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.