Which Canon Full Frame Camera is For You?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>FroKnowsPhoto has posted a video asking (and answering) which Canon full frame camera he thinks is for you (plus the EOS 7D Mark II). Jared talks about the EOS 6D, 5D Mark III, EOS-1D X and the APS-C EOS 7D Mark II.</p>
<p>I agree with most of what Jared says, outside of the EOS 6D. I think for $1499 after rebates, it’s still a buy now camera. A replacement is going to cost closer to $2000 than the current $1500 pricetag. We’ve heard that the EOS 6D replacement may go a bit upmarket, which could bring a higher price.</p>
<p><iframe width="500" height="281" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TYWppbbnYMw?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>
<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081808-REG/canon_9128b002_eos_7d_mark_ii.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EOS 7D Mark II $1799</a> | <strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EOS 6D $1499</a></strong> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847545-REG/Canon_5260A002_EOS_5D_Mark_III.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EOS 5D Mark III $2799</a> | <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827036-REG/Canon_5253B002_EOS_1D_X_EOS_Digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">EOS-1D X $5999</a></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Feb 8, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
<p>A replacement is going to cost closer to $2000 than the current $1500 pricetag. We’ve heard that the EOS 6D replacement may go a bit upmarket, which could bring a higher price.</p>

D750 equivalent?
Given how much people seem to like that, sounds like a good idea. Not that a "budget 5D3" wasn't always the logical next step.

Hopefully it comes with a real tilty screen and not the cheap half-baked one-axis tilt.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I am a full time working pro and have seen no compelling reason to move from my seven year old 1Ds MkIII's. I'd love the high iso capabilities in the newer bodies but have managed to live without them for the last thirty years, same with the five group RT flash system, even the castrated pre 2012 version works plenty good enough.

Actually those 1Ds MkIII's have proven to be the best value for money cameras I ever bought when compared on a cost per image basis.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
privatebydesign said:
I am a full time working pro and have seen no compelling reason to move from my seven year old 1Ds MkIII's. I'd love the high iso capabilities in the newer bodies but have managed to live without them for the last thirty years, same with the five group RT flash system, even the castrated pre 2012 version works plenty good enough.

Actually those 1Ds MkIII's have proven to be the best value for money cameras I ever bought when compared on a cost per image basis.

I know of several other professionals like you! :)

Upvote 0
Three weeks ago I purchased a 6D (N) version body (one without GPS and Wifi) for US$ 1299 on ebay. I reckon I've done a good deal in terms of value-for-money. Moving from a 6 year old 500D, of course I never had experience on a fancy pants 5DIII or 1DX, but I doubt I would have been twice or three times more amazed by those "pro" bodies as they cost twice or three times more.

Upvote 0
Hjalmarg1 said:
A new 5D4 with better noise control, nigher ISO, better HDR, using the 7D2 AF and wifi.

Skip the HDR
Wfi would be great, but i would not trade it for construction and durability.
The 7D AF on a FF would be too narrow... I want a wider AF spread

Indeed, the point is wait for the next run of FF cameras... :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
fear_through_the_eyes said:
Three weeks ago I purchased a 6D (N) version body (one without GPS and Wifi) for US$ 1299 on ebay. I reckon I've done a good deal in terms of value-for-money. Moving from a 6 year old 500D, of course I never had experience on a fancy pants 5DIII or 1DX, but I doubt I would have been twice or three times more amazed by those "pro" bodies as they cost twice or three times more.

Funnily enough due to my own stupidity and a mix up with Lithium batteries I did three shoots last week with a 6D that I rented, it was the only FF Canon I could get my hands on (on a small island in the Caribbean!), and it did a superb job. Clients were very happy too. You can even use a 1Ds MkIII RRS L-Plate on a 6D, sort of ;D

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
Hopefully it comes with a real tilty screen and not the cheap half-baked one-axis tilt.

Please just speak for yourself. I really would be frustrated if a Tilt/Screen will be on the next fullframecamera. The times for a buildin Tiltscreen are gone (for me) and most Pros I know don't like it. It's taking more space and is prone to get broken (even if this is unlikely today). There are so much solutions with better and larger screens on the hotshoe, connected via HDMI. You can even use every smartphone with WLAN to reach even more impossible viewingangles.

But 99% of the time I wouldn't like to see this on my cam. And no Flash eighter.

Upvote 0
The most frustrating thing about this video is that he basically says don't buy any of them, just wait until the upgrade.

This is an incredibly annoying attitude and is really unhelpful.

Bottom line for me is that there will always be a better camera than the one you buy now, but unless you have the money to buy the best of the best every time it comes out, as soon as it comes out, then just buy what suits your needs and budget best right now. Stop lusting after things that don't exist and just max out what you have first.

Upvote 0
lholmes549 said:
The most frustrating thing about this video is that he basically says don't buy any of them, just wait until the upgrade.

This is an incredibly annoying attitude and is really unhelpful.

Bottom line for me is that there will always be a better camera than the one you buy now, but unless you have the money to buy the best of the best every time it comes out, as soon as it comes out, then just buy what suits your needs and budget best right now. Stop lusting after things that don't exist and just max out what you have first.

This reminds me of the old proverb... "a camera in hand is worth two in the bag!" :) If you need a camera now, get it, don't wait! :p

if all my gear got stolen (touch wood) i would not be waiting for 'the next one' i would grab whatever was best and available for me now (5DIII). :) Agreed it is annoying Fro tells you just to wait. He should have said "but if you have to get something now get xxx". but it is fair to say, if you are not in a rush, buy glass and wait for the next ones which *should* be around the corner!

Upvote 0