Which Canon Picture Style(s) do you use (for photos)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AudioGlenn said:
Title says it all. I've been using Faithful for the most part. In Lightroom, I use the sharpness and clarity sliders EVERY time. I found that using Auto picture style gives me a little more sharpness in my preview. I shoot RAW so I know this is not THAT big of a deal. Just wondering what you guys are using normally.

For stills I just leave it on Standard. Unless I forget because I was recording video for a friend and it's set different. Oh, and for video, the Cinestyle actually seems to work quite well for corrections in post.

Upvote 0

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
AudioGlenn said:
Title says it all. I've been using Faithful for the most part. In Lightroom, I use the sharpness and clarity sliders EVERY time. I found that using Auto picture style gives me a little more sharpness in my preview. I shoot RAW so I know this is not THAT big of a deal. Just wondering what you guys are using normally.

I have not changed the picture style, it's whatever cam out of the box. In fact, I am kinda surprised that Canon has a pic style button on the 5 Series (maybe even the 1 series, I dunno about that)

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
AudioGlenn said:

For stills I just leave it on Standard. Unless I forget because I was recording video for a friend and it's set different. Oh, and for video, the Cinestyle actually seems to work quite well for corrections in post.

Yes I use CineStyle when shooting video, too. Have you played with the Canon Video picture style at all?

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
If you use RAW and lightroom, it doesn't matter what you set the camera to use for jpegs. Lightroom does not read the camera setting for picture style.

I use Adobe standard for imports to lightroom.

It matters if you use your histogram, the histogram is generated from the preview joeg and that honours the picture style set, even if you don't save a jpeg to your card one is still made and used. Neutral gives the jpeg the histogram closest to the RAW file histogram in post.

Set your camera on a tripod and shoot the same scene in RAW only and change the picture style between shots, look at the histogram on your camera, they are very different.

nice... i will try that

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Neutral 100% of the time. I am a 100% RAW shooter and Neutral gives the best/most accurate histogram of the RAW file, bearing in mind it is actually the histogram of the camera generated preview jpeg.

Yes 1 series cameras have picture styles, many 1 series users are jpeg output only and the customisation of Picture Styles is a very good feature.

this is what I do as well.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
captainkanji said:
I use the RAW picture format. I use the preview image on the screen to check exposure, but that's about it.

No, you don't. There's no 'RAW format' - a RAW 'image' can't be viewed. What you're looking at on the camera's LCD is a JPG image, converted in-camera with whatever settings you have (picture style, ALO, high ISO NR, etc.). Those settings don't affect the RAW data directly (with the exception of long exposure NR and sort of but not really HTP), but they do affect the JPG preview image stored inside every RAW file, and the histogram is based on that JPG. So, to the extent that you make exposure decisions based on that review image or histogram, your selected picture style, etc., can affect your RAW images.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
captainkanji said:
I use the RAW picture format. I use the preview image on the screen to check exposure, but that's about it.

No, you don't. There's no 'RAW format' - a RAW 'image' can't be viewed. What you're looking at on the camera's LCD is a JPG image, converted in-camera with whatever settings you have (picture style, ALO, high ISO NR, etc.). Those settings don't affect the RAW data directly (with the exception of long exposure NR and sort of but not really HTP), but they do affect the JPG preview image stored inside every RAW file, and the histogram is based on that JPG. So, to the extent that you make exposure decisions based on that review image or histogram, your selected picture style, etc., can affect your RAW images.

That makes sense. I was always curiously why the slideshow of my raw images didn't look like crap... excuse me... like raw images.

Upvote 0
I always shoot in RAW and I use a custom profile I named ETTR - as in Expose to the Right. I took the Neutral profile and adjusted it to give the most accurate histogram (assuming correct white balance) possible based on some of the more scientific information I could find about ETTR. I'll have to see if I can remember how I created it (it's been many years), but it wasn't too complicated. It gives pretty accurate results in terms of clipped highlights - and I usually ETTR unless I'm doing studio work.

As neuro said, the picture style affects the histogram, so the more accurately it reflects what you see in the RAW editor in terms of shadows and highlights, the better.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
captainkanji said:

Again, another useful comment by Neuro... here was me thinking because i shot raw, picture styles in camera were unimportant. so... neuro, which in-camera style settings do you use?

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Neutral 100% of the time. I am a 100% RAW shooter and Neutral gives the best/most accurate histogram of the RAW file, bearing in mind it is actually the histogram of the camera generated preview jpeg.

Yes 1 series cameras have picture styles, many 1 series users are jpeg output only and the customisation of Picture Styles is a very good feature.

Ditto, for pretty much the same reasons. Natural 100% of the time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.