Which lens/body combo: non-purchase advice requested (50, 135 & 17-55 on 20D/7D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just upgraded my body (camera as well :)!!!), and am looking for recommendations on the best combo:

My previous camera was the EOS-20D, which I have just upgraded to the 7D (5 months ago), with the intention of selling the older one. I purchased an EF 135 f/2L last year and was using this lens almost exclusively instead of the kit 17-85 lens.

I have now decided to keep the 20D, having sold the 17-85 lens only. I have the following lenses: which would you keep on which body, and why?

135 f/2L (1 year old)
50 f/1.4 (6 months)
17-55 f/2.8 IS (new)

I bought the 7D primarily for the extra frame-rate and AF points for use with the 135 lens. I was happy with the results of the 135 on the 20D, but am ecstatic with it on the 7D.

My future lens purchase considerations (in order of priority) are the 300 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L & 85 f/1.8. I don't need two bodies, but it's easier than swapping lenses (and no-one has offered a sensible price). I would also be tempted by a mythical 7D Mk II, assuming 10fps & better ISO performance, but would sell the 7D for this.

Many thanks for your expert opinions and advice....

awair said:
I have now decided to keep the 20D, having sold the 17-85 lens only. I have the following lenses: which would you keep on which body, and why?

135 f/2L (1 year old)
50 f/1.4 (6 months)
17-55 f/2.8 IS (new)

I'd keep the 50 mm on the 20D. You will propably use it only with large apertures to get shallow DoF. The 50 mm will not deliver much resolution wide open, so I'd keep the 7D for the other lenses.

Upvote 0
I'd keep the 50 mm on the 20D. You will propably use it only with large apertures to get shallow DoF. The 50 mm will not deliver much resolution wide open,

Thank you, that was exactly the kind of logic I was struggling to find.

I'm also inclined to keep the 135mm on the 7D, as I use it for medium-range sports action requiring the improved frame rate & focussing capabilities of the 7D.

Also, with the flexibility of the zoom on the 20D, I shouldn't need to crop in post, so again the resolution shouldn't become an issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.