Which Powershot or IXUS

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paul13walnut5

I want a pocket camera but with some control. My heart was set on an EOS M, but I've a C100 to buy, so keeping cash for that instead.

Still got space in my life for a carry about camera, and space in my pocket and wallet.

Don't want an S or a G, as I would rather just go that bit further and get the M, however the IXUS 310hs and Powershot sx220 hs are coming up as good value, decent specc'd capable enough pocket cameras with a bit of control.

Also strike me as exceptional value for money, which might even get better in the sales in a couple of days.

Anybody used either model (note the IXUS 310hs is the eu name) or the 230 (220 with GPS - don't need)

This is really just a camera to have with me, in the pocket, in the glove box, but with enough of a manual input to keep me happy. Not breaking the bank, not expecting miracles.

Happy Christmas if thats your thing, Happy New Year if thats your calender, and all the best anyway if not.

H

Hobby Shooter

neuroanatomist said:
What about an S100 - good prices now that the S110 is out, and frankly, I don't see a significant advantage to the S110 over the S100. Truly pocketable, IMO the only step up from there is the Sony RX-100.
I agree. Got one too and it takes nice pictures.And you have manual control. It sells at less than 300 usd where I live. Don't know enough on the other models. My youngest daughter has a cheaper A3200 I think it's called and the colours are just not good.

Upvote 0

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Look at Canon's refurbished cameras, right now they're on sale:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_123258_lowPrice_list

I just bought an Elph 300 HS, its a very good looking and portable camera, from now on my everyday carry-on. But on the technical side, its AWB sucks and setting it up manually is not easy nor fast. And I can't adjust the flash power which I'd like in order to use it as a fill flash...

Oh well... compromises should be made if you don't want to carry you DSLR everywhere...

Upvote 0
serendipidy said:
Took my first vacation to England and France in 20 years last October. I seriously thought about taking my new 7D and several lens, but then decided I wanted to travel very light (it was a 2 month trip) and was also worried about theft, damage, etc. So, after some research, I bought the Canon SX230 just for this trip. It's definitely not the IQ of a DSLR, but it took some really good photos and easily fit in my shirt pocket. Allowed me to savor each moment instead of trying to get the perfect shot. I will attach several examples at various focal lengths. All were hand held and used the "super vivid" scene setting since I like bright colors. These 2 were taken on the England Cotswolds tour: #1- 28mm equivalent focal length #2- 37mm focal length. Hope this helps in your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_1109-1.5MB.jpg
    IMG_1109-1.5MB.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,201
  • IMG_1148-1.4MB.jpg
    IMG_1148-1.4MB.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Upvote 0
serendipidy said:
Here are 2 more examples using the Canon SX230 hand held with "super vivid" setting. These are from the south of France just east of Nice. #1- 220mm equivalent focal length #2- maximum 392mm equivalent focal length. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2387-1.4MB.jpg
    IMG_2387-1.4MB.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,200
  • IMG_2341-1.4MB.jpg
    IMG_2341-1.4MB.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,194
Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

Serendipity, thank you for sharing your beautiful images, just the tonic for the current drizzle I'm enduring.

Also great to get the direct input of an actual user, I also have a 7d! So that bodes well.

Between the 220 (230 without gps) and the 240 ( model on without gps) fighting a chest infection so will hope fully pick something up later in week.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5,

You are very welcome. I did some research looking for a good P&S pocket camera for my 2 month holiday and the SX230 seemed the best at that time. I didn't need GPS so could have saved with the SX220. Don't know much about the 240 but it might have some upgrades. Being an amateur, I thought the 230 did a wonderful job. Took lots of memorable photos.

Good luck with your decision and hope you get well soon. Have a happy new year :)

Upvote 0
I second the suggestion of the Canon SX230 HS. It's a great little cam with superior snapshot quality up to about ISO 400 (really nice at native ISO 80-100) and decent ISO 800. 1600 is OK for tiny shots that won't go bigger than an quick email to your sister. The lens is sharper than those of most of the "travel zoom" competition and the range of 28-400 is pretty much all I need for snaps. It's really small, easily pocketable, and has only one annoying quirk - the flash pop-up that activates every time at startup, that is positioned directly under the left index finger of a two handed grip. You can just push it back down again and shoot sans flash, but it really shouldn't be popping up unless first summonedby the user, and the pushing down of the thing might effect the mechanics eventually (mine is OK so far).

All in all, a great little snapshot camera that is a fine companion when you don't want to drag a DSLR around or pay a lot of money for a super deluxw compact when you're saving up for a new "L" lens or just the next mortgage payment.

There are a few examples to follow, most interestingly a surprisingly nice couple of "product" shots done for an old Ebay listing.

Regards,
David

Attachments

• NY_Aug2012_Matthew_ManhattanSkyline_FromBrooklyn_S.jpg
    NY_Aug2012_Matthew_ManhattanSkyline_FromBrooklyn_S.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,276
  • 06_1Ds3_LeftSideRear34_S.jpg
    06_1Ds3_LeftSideRear34_S.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,125
  • NY_Aug2012_ManhattanSkyline_FromBrooklyn_S.jpg
    NY_Aug2012_ManhattanSkyline_FromBrooklyn_S.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 01_1Ds3_StraightFront_S.jpg
    01_1Ds3_StraightFront_S.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,112
Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

@dafrank
has only one annoying quirk - the flash pop-up that activates every time at startup, that is positioned directly under the left index finger of a two handed grip. You can just push it back down again and shoot sans flash, but it really shouldn't be popping up unless first summonedby the user, and the pushing down of the thing might effect the mechanics eventually (mine is OK so far).

Hi dafrank

Thank you very much for your balanced review of cam, helping to convince me in which direction to go, it is one thing that reviewers have picked up on with the successor model (240) that the lflash only physically deploys when flash is being used, so that and the minor price difference might just swing it way.

Thanks again Serendipidy, some lovely pics, the UK -or at least my part of it- looks very different today.

Cheers and all the best.

Upvote 0
For some reason, my first attached picture in my last post did not display properly on the site. Therefore, I will try to post this one again. Again, it's a "product" shot of one of my cams that I sold on Ebay, done on my driveway on a cloudy day, without any of the ususal tools I use on a "real" studio product shoot, and using my SX230, instead of a DSLR. Considering the set-up, I was rather astonished at the quality of the results. Anyway, it won't win any prizes, but, like the other shots above, it gives you an idea of what the cam can do without much help.

David

Attachments

• 01_1Ds3_StraightFront_S.jpg
    01_1Ds3_StraightFront_S.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,228
Upvote 0
Congratulations and hope you really enjoy your new camera.

I got the 230 due to a great deal at a large US discount chain (they didn't offer the 220) and I have never used the gps function (most of the time, I know where I am :))). I found a really nice small Lowepro case that fit it snugly and attached to my belt to travel around Europe; worked great.

When the drizzles end in Bonnie Scotland, post some of your 230 results.
Peace and Happy New Year (Auld Lang Syne) 8)

Upvote 0
Hi Paul,

Sorry took so long but I was away and then had to dig it out of my closet and look up info at Lowepro site since I didn't have model number.

The kit I bought at Costco came with a leather case Canon PSC-3200 with a belt loop. However, it is very snug and has no room or pockets for anything else :( So I looked around and found a Lowepro water resistant fabric pouch (Ridge 20) that was a perfect fit and had a zippered pocket for extra cards and an expandable 2nd pocket for extra battery, etc. It was only about $10 USD (now on the Lowepro.com website..search for Ridge 20.. sells for $13USD).

I just now took a photo for side by side comparison. The leather was really too snug and I worried when it got wet, it might shrink :(

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are lot of other candidates but I found the Ridge 20 perfect size and quite small. I usually forgot it was on my belt and a quick unzip and the camera was out and ready in 2 seconds.

Attachments

• Lowepro Ridge 20 case.jpg
    Lowepro Ridge 20 case.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 809
  • Canon SX230 cases.jpg
    Canon SX230 cases.jpg
    830.7 KB · Views: 965
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.