Which Strobe Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guastellaf

Hey All,

Im looking to upgrade my current lighting kit. Right now I have 2 580ExII with the Canon battery packs CP-E4 on both. One is set up to shoot through a soft box and one I use with a Gary Fong snoot for a hair light. Both work good but I need to upgrade. Im shooting mostly portraits and my work load has just increased so, I want to get something that can handle the work load without me worrying about over heating and recycle time.

What I've been looking at:

Dynalite MK8-1222:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750785-REG/Dynalite_MK8_1222_MK8_1222_RoadMax_800_W_s.html

also, the Alien Bees/Einstein Kits.

Anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on these 2 kits??

Thank you so much,
Francesco

I've used dynalites in the past and used einsteins bigger brother, white lightnings... I think the WL is much more solid and dependable... to me, at least many years ago, dynalites felt more like a toy... good for location shooting, at times, but not packing much power. They could be much better now but I would look into the einteins... Then alien bees and then dynalites.

Upvote 0
Have you thought about going used? Hit your local CraigsList or camera stores, or local ebay and see what's around for lighting. Either monolights like the Alien Bees/Einstein, or a pack & head setup.

I just got a 4 heads, stands, shoot-thru umbrellas, 2 barn doors, 1 880w/s pack for $400. It's a (very, very) old Novotron, with limited controls (880 & 440 power on the pack, 1+ heads have full/half setting), but with aperture and/or ND filters you can get more control. Works fine, going to use them this week in fact, so amazing timing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.