Which used full frame body you will buy today if money no object?

Sep 1, 2014
I mean if the budget only can afford an used body... Thanks for your reply anyway.
well if there is a budget constraint then you'd look to get the most out your money, depending on what you are shooting. a 1dx2 used is more expensive than a 5d4 new :D
but to answer your original post: if money was unlimited, i'd go for a fuji gfx50s :D

Feb 16, 2013
well if there is a budget constraint then you'd look to get the most out your money, depending on what you are shooting. a 1dx2 used is more expensive than a 5d4 new :D
but to answer your original post: if money was unlimited, i'd go for a fuji gfx50s :D
Nice one...

docsmith

EOS Rebel SL2
Sep 17, 2010
I am a bit surprised the "high resolution" group hasn't chimed in with a few 5Ds(R).

If money were no object, I would probably own:
  • 1Dx II for times I wanted a high frame rate or times when resolution was not an issue.
  • 5Ds(R) for times when I wanted all the resolution I could get
  • 5DIV as my general everyday camera
If I could only have one, then the 5DIV, which is what I actually have.

The quick point here is that each body actually has a niche. It is always best to consider need and intended use when picking the body. For example, I have seen 1Dx go by for ~$2,500, 5DIII for $1,200-$1,500, 5DII's for ~$600, 5Ds(R)s for ~$1800-$2,000 and 6D I for <$1,000. All of those are good cameras that have taken many a great picture. As for a used FF body, if I was looking for the "best value" FF on the market, a good used 5DIII would be a great general camera. If you need the high FPS, then a 1DX, if budget is a concern, find the best 5DII or 6D I you can find. If high resolution, find a nice used 5Ds or 5Ds(R).

johnf3f

Canon 1Dx
Oct 25, 2012
Wales
1 DX 2 - what else would I choose? Used/tried all the other Canon alternatives and the 1DX2 is simply the best of the lot, closely followed by the 1DX = nothing else is in the running for an all in one camera!

Talys

Canon 6DII
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Well, if I were buying a 1DX2, the main reason would be its AF capabilities with big, heavy lenses, often with TCs. Almost certainly, I would be pairing it with a 200-400, and then, basically, the 1DX2 weight is just a pleasant counterbalance on the wimberly gimbal :)

Talys

Canon 6DII
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I am a bit surprised the "high resolution" group hasn't chimed in with a few 5Ds(R).

If money were no object, I would probably own:
  • 1Dx II for times I wanted a high frame rate or times when resolution was not an issue.
  • 5Ds(R) for times when I wanted all the resolution I could get
  • 5DIV as my general everyday camera
If I could only have one, then the 5DIV, which is what I actually have.

The quick point here is that each body actually has a niche. It is always best to consider need and intended use when picking the body. For example, I have seen 1Dx go by for ~$2,500, 5DIII for $1,200-$1,500, 5DII's for ~$600, 5Ds(R)s for ~$1800-$2,000 and 6D I for <$1,000. All of those are good cameras that have taken many a great picture. As for a used FF body, if I was looking for the "best value" FF on the market, a good used 5DIII would be a great general camera. If you need the high FPS, then a 1DX, if budget is a concern, find the best 5DII or 6D I you can find. If high resolution, find a nice used 5Ds or 5Ds(R).
At the end of the day, I don't want amazing 50 megapixel photographs; I want really good photographs that have fewer than 12 megapixels, once cropped and resized. The main reason to get a high megapixel camera is to make up for a lens reach deficiency, but if money were of no object, I'd simply have bigger lenses :) I would much rather be taking a 600mm f/4 image than cropping a 400mm f/5.6 image.

BillB

EOS Rebel T7i
May 11, 2017
5DIV: lighter weight, lower shutter noise, more pixels, better touchscreen interface and generally less noticeable compared to 1DXII.

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Am I limited to 35mm format? if not possibly phase one for landscape and still life.

For wildlife I would consider the D5/D850 w/ the new 180-400. In a year, perhaps canon will match this combination.

Don't flame me for this but I think the D850 is a wonderful camera and the ergonomics of the 180-400 (i.e., position of the switch to engage the converter/extender is better on the 180 -400 vs the 200-400. ON the 180-400 can be easily engage by the right hand near the shutter button vs on the left side of the lens on the 200-400. Small differences like this are important.

Dec 20, 2012
If money was no issue, I would buy Sony A9. I am happy with my Canon system but I love playing with new toys. I have 1dX and during this time in my life, 1D series doesn't fit my need great right now.

pwp

EOS 5D Mark IV
Oct 25, 2010
5DIV: lighter weight, lower shutter noise, more pixels, better touchscreen interface and generally less noticeable compared to 1DXII.
I have a gripped 5D4 and a 1DX. Yes, the 5D4 is "lighter weight, lower shutter noise, more pixels, better touchscreen interface and generally less noticeable ..." but the 1DX is always the superior camera to use. So I definitely stick with 1DXII in reply to the OP. If you've used a 1-Series body over time you'll just know. They're awesome and superior in so many obvious and subtle ways.

-pw

Apr 25, 2011
Leica 0 in excellent condition.

Then I'll resell it and use all that "no object" money for something more useful.