Which used full frame body you will buy today if money no object?

Sep 1, 2014
I mean if the budget only can afford an used body... Thanks for your reply anyway.
well if there is a budget constraint then you'd look to get the most out your money, depending on what you are shooting. a 1dx2 used is more expensive than a 5d4 new :D
but to answer your original post: if money was unlimited, i'd go for a fuji gfx50s :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am a bit surprised the "high resolution" group hasn't chimed in with a few 5Ds(R).

If money were no object, I would probably own:
  • 1Dx II for times I wanted a high frame rate or times when resolution was not an issue.
  • 5Ds(R) for times when I wanted all the resolution I could get
  • 5DIV as my general everyday camera
If I could only have one, then the 5DIV, which is what I actually have.

The quick point here is that each body actually has a niche. It is always best to consider need and intended use when picking the body. For example, I have seen 1Dx go by for ~$2,500, 5DIII for $1,200-$1,500, 5DII's for ~$600, 5Ds(R)s for ~$1800-$2,000 and 6D I for <$1,000. All of those are good cameras that have taken many a great picture. As for a used FF body, if I was looking for the "best value" FF on the market, a good used 5DIII would be a great general camera. If you need the high FPS, then a 1DX, if budget is a concern, find the best 5DII or 6D I you can find. If high resolution, find a nice used 5Ds or 5Ds(R).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Not too heavy? :eek:
Well, if I were buying a 1DX2, the main reason would be its AF capabilities with big, heavy lenses, often with TCs. Almost certainly, I would be pairing it with a 200-400, and then, basically, the 1DX2 weight is just a pleasant counterbalance on the wimberly gimbal :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I am a bit surprised the "high resolution" group hasn't chimed in with a few 5Ds(R).

If money were no object, I would probably own:
  • 1Dx II for times I wanted a high frame rate or times when resolution was not an issue.
  • 5Ds(R) for times when I wanted all the resolution I could get
  • 5DIV as my general everyday camera
If I could only have one, then the 5DIV, which is what I actually have.

The quick point here is that each body actually has a niche. It is always best to consider need and intended use when picking the body. For example, I have seen 1Dx go by for ~$2,500, 5DIII for $1,200-$1,500, 5DII's for ~$600, 5Ds(R)s for ~$1800-$2,000 and 6D I for <$1,000. All of those are good cameras that have taken many a great picture. As for a used FF body, if I was looking for the "best value" FF on the market, a good used 5DIII would be a great general camera. If you need the high FPS, then a 1DX, if budget is a concern, find the best 5DII or 6D I you can find. If high resolution, find a nice used 5Ds or 5Ds(R).

At the end of the day, I don't want amazing 50 megapixel photographs; I want really good photographs that have fewer than 12 megapixels, once cropped and resized. The main reason to get a high megapixel camera is to make up for a lens reach deficiency, but if money were of no object, I'd simply have bigger lenses :) I would much rather be taking a 600mm f/4 image than cropping a 400mm f/5.6 image.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Am I limited to 35mm format? if not possibly phase one for landscape and still life.

For wildlife I would consider the D5/D850 w/ the new 180-400. In a year, perhaps canon will match this combination.

Don't flame me for this but I think the D850 is a wonderful camera and the ergonomics of the 180-400 (i.e., position of the switch to engage the converter/extender is better on the 180 -400 vs the 200-400. ON the 180-400 can be easily engage by the right hand near the shutter button vs on the left side of the lens on the 200-400. Small differences like this are important.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
5DIV: lighter weight, lower shutter noise, more pixels, better touchscreen interface and generally less noticeable compared to 1DXII.

I have a gripped 5D4 and a 1DX. Yes, the 5D4 is "lighter weight, lower shutter noise, more pixels, better touchscreen interface and generally less noticeable ..." but the 1DX is always the superior camera to use. So I definitely stick with 1DXII in reply to the OP. If you've used a 1-Series body over time you'll just know. They're awesome and superior in so many obvious and subtle ways.

-pw

Upvote 0