Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Mobile device in mobile mode

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • You are pissed off that you can no longer switch to desktop mode

Votes: 20 52.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
At first I couldn't find recent forum posts on the main site, but once I scrolled down and found them I was happy. It's a big improvement, far more readable on the bus when I have chance to catch up on my mobile.

It would be great to see the same mode available on the forum pages. The desktop format means scrolling sideways. There is tapatalk, but that inhibits switching back and forth between news items and forum discussion.

The improved desktop site works great on my work PC too.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
The forums are ok, but the main part of the site I try to avoid on the smartphone.
Many today try to build and deliver their sites in a "Responsive" design - one that automagically adopts to the viewing device. I have to admit that the main site is not having me jump up and down in pure joy from a navigational point of view.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The new mobile layout is just ok. It's annoying to have to scroll all the way down to see recent forum posts. In fact, if you have your device in landscape mode you can't see recent forum posts AT ALL! This was very confusing at first. They need to bring back the ability to switch to desktop mode (why did they get rid of that option in the first place??)

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Developer here. I see that some of you want a desktop version and unfortunately due to how responsive sites behave your browser doesn't really care what device you're on, instead it only cares about your resolution. This is why some of you have noticed that requesting the desktop site does nothing.

I'm not a UI monster and the intent was never to take away control from the users so I implemented a small workaround that, I'm hoping, will work for now. When on the site, you can toggle the desktop version by adding the query string "desktop=1" to the URL. So http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=1 should create a cookie on your system that tells the website to ignore your resolution and render the site as is. You can undo this by visiting http://www.canonrumors.com/?desktop=0. This is a cookie based solution so if you have cookies turned off, this will not work.

Some of you might have a cached version of the site so if this doesn't work try doing a hard refresh (ctrl-F5 on Windows machines).

I hope this helps some of you out.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thanks for the discussion on the mobile issues some users are experiencing.

We have returned to the previous mobile site for the people that want that experience. Clicking through to the desktop version should give you the full view of the site. If you're not seeing that, clear the cache on your device and try again.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon Rumors said:
Thanks for the discussion on the mobile issues some users are experiencing.

We have returned to the previous mobile site for the people that want that experience. Clicking through to the desktop version should give you the full view of the site. If you're not seeing that, clear the cache on your device and try again.

Being a new iphone user and not stuck on any particular view, I thought the new layout was fine with one exception, a person could not pinch to compress or expand the view.

I just tried again with the old mobile site, and I really don't see why anyone would want it. I can see wanting the desktop view.

I'm not going to complain, I can use either way for the few times I try to use it on a phone.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I use the site a lot on my iPhone (4S - has rather small screen) - e.g. when I am traveling on public transportation.
I always switch to desktop view. As a matter of fact I would like to have a setting that alsways opens the site in desktop view automatically as soon as I log in.

I don't like the new desktop view either. All items are way too large now and all articles are displayed in full length,(rather than only headline plus a few lines and one has to click if interested to read further) and therefore too much scrolling is involved. Furthermore I definitely do not want to see Canon's Maeda Masayo face in large, since I associate it with "too little, too late, too expensive" and therefore want to smack it, which might just damage my poor little iPhone. :p

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
AvTvM said:
I use the site a lot on my iPhone (4S - has rather small screen) - e.g. when I am traveling on public transportation.
I always switch to desktop view. As a matter of fact I would like to have a setting that alsways opens the site in desktop view automatically as soon as I log in.

I don't like the new desktop view either. All items are way too large now and all articles are displayed in full length,(rather than only headline plus a few lines and one has to click if interested to read further) and therefore too much scrolling is involved. Furthermore I definitely do not want to see Canon's Maeda Masayo face in large, since I associate it with "too little, too late, too expensive" and therefore want to smack it, which might just damage my poor little iPhone. :p

If you select desktop view from the mobile view, it should always load the site like that, it does on my phone.

Upvote 0