POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Dec 13, 2010
To me it seems that the added heat and continuously feed from the sensor may be what causes this..

I learned yesterday that it is in fact just 3 fps with focus priority when tracking, that and this banding makes it a lot less desirable than I initially thought... I know they always try to do the best they can and to get to the final products it is always a fine balance and a lot of engineering and design and problem solving, which leads me to think they just don’t have the tech others may have, and that’s surprising.... especially since the lens designers and engineers are the best there is....

Upvote 0
I am sorry, I couldn't watch it. Thirty seconds in was enough.
When they do not have enough expertise to get their sound right on a review video how can I take this as a reliable source.
An understanding and ability to use the mediums they are reviewing is mandatory IMO for any amount of credibility.

I stopped at 8:32 after the comparison EOS R <=> 7R M iii : The images of EOS R showed detail of subjects much larger than the Sony which is disturbing because the the Sony has much more pixels. And this exaggerates the noise of the Canon.

Comparing the prices was another joke: EOS R costs new 2500 with adapter and Sony is about 2600 2nd hand. I would compare EOS R with standard adapter 2400 EUR/$ and Sony new with metabones adapter for about 3500 EUR/$.

The banding may be an issue but for well exposed photos I prefer the overall look of detail of the EOS R. For me as a non-professional photographer taking photos for joy and for material for physics lessons I rely on my set of lenses from 10 ... 400 (800 with converter) mm of Canon lenses - the EOS R would be the natural solution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I already have two ML FF bodies from Canon's R(angefinder) system, including some nice "R" lenses... ;)

Seriously, I am going to test an EOS R when my local shop has it available, and then I'll make my mind up. I am tempted by some RF lenses (the more expensive ones I fear)...

View attachment 180405;)

umm didn't you say in another thread that you didn't need AF, or any digital features to take the world's best images? Now you're investing heavily into EOS R and lenses? That was a quick turnaround.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Yes and yes, but it is interesting that there seems to be a different result coming from (we're assuming) the same sensor.

I don't find it particularly surprising - I see the same sort of thing in audio and the last generation of Sony there were comments about how the DR improvements seemed more about signal processing than the actual sensor technology.
Raw is not really raw because it needs to undergo conversion from digital to analogue and although we like to think the signal will be processed as little as possible to give the photographer maximum flexibility, it also gives the manufacturer scope on noise reduction etc. One example is the Sony processing known as 'star eater' - low noise raw images to the detriment of astrophotography.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Ugh, look at about one minute into this video. Yes granted recovering a photo 5 stops is never advisable, but this does not look good. I did not expect to give up anything on the EOS R compared to the 5D4 image quality wise. This may not be the case in actuality.

I may have missed it, but weren't these jpgs? If so, that will mean something to jpg users that recover something by 5 stops.....but if those were jpg, it could be a processing artifact and will not be the same experience when using the RAW file.

I watched twice and I do not think it is mentioned if they are RAW or JPG. But I could have missed it.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I may have missed it, but weren't these jpgs? If so, that will mean something to jpg users that recover something by 5 stops.....but if those were jpg, it could be a processing artifact and will not be the same experience when using the RAW file.

I watched twice and I do not think it is mentioned if they are RAW or JPG. But I could have missed it.
They are dng converted raw files(y)

So not optimal, but I doubt a finished raw profiler would make a difference to that banding.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not me. I'm waiting for the next version, hopefully with performance and features more in line with the 5D IV.

The controls on the R look a little rough. The little touch strip? Choosing AF points on the touch screen? Too hard to judge fairly just seeing the first-look videos. If it comes to Best Buy and I can try it, I might like the controls. No other "camera stores" within 100 miles.

BUT, if a new EF version of the 50mm f/1.2L comes out, I could wait even longer.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I am! Sold and delivered my 1dx2 to its new owner today and confirmed I’m getting the R on the first batch:D

Wow! I hope it meets your expectations! I wouldn't have considered such a move without renting it first. Let everyone know your thoughts after you've used it for a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Wow! I hope it meets your expectations! I wouldn't have considered such a move without renting it first. Let everyone know your thoughts after you've used it for a bit!

No such thing as rent one here. Besides, I already knew before the R I wasn’t keeping my 1-series anymore. First time in 10 years I don’t own one, lol.

I’ll absolutely share my thoughts on here(y) at first I will be using EF lenses 35 L II and 85 L IS, and then later I’ll probably sell the 85 and go for the RF 50:D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I pre-ordered it. The extreme low-light focusing was the clincher for me. If it can focus in even darker conditions than the 5D4, I'm sold on it. I've lost so many good photos while the camera is struggling to find something bright/contrasty enough to focus on in very dark situations. The 5D4's ability to take a photo in low light with a fast lens exceeds its ability to focus in low light with a fast lens. :cautious:

(And yes I understand that Canon kind of pulled a fast one when they rated it to -6EV by rating it with a faster lens than is normally used for that, but as I understand it, it still beats the 5D4 even with all else equal.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll wait. Newer versions will appear. The price for the R may drop. A new camera is not a compelling need I have, an itch I must scratch. So, I will wait.

I have no allegiance to mirrored or mirrorless, only to a better camera that's worth the money. These days, any crummy photo I take is due to operator error.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am! Sold and delivered my 1dx2 to its new owner today and confirmed I’m getting the R on the first batch:D

I hate car analogies.
But, statement sounds just like this "I just traded my Raptor for a new Mustang."
Sure they are both sporty, but one is made to race in the rain and mud, the other on the street.

That is a bold swap.
From apple to orange.

Upvote 0
Going to wait until Cyber Monday sale. I'm only invested in a 7D, 35 f/1.4, and 16-35. So, will ditch those and go ahead and get into the R Ecosystem with the EOS R and 50 f/1.2. I'm hoping they throw in the grip with the body for a sale like they did with 5div(wishful thinking), and usually places have discounts on lenses on Cyber Monday so hopefully can take advantage of that with the 50 f/1.2 as well. No big rush though.

Upvote 0