Who Invented the Video Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Wikipedia (with references there)

The first VCR to use VHS was the Victor HR-3300, and was introduced by the president of JVC at the Okura Hotel on September 9, 1976

Video technology was first developed for cathode ray tube (CRT) television systems, but several new technologies for video display devices have since been invented. Charles Ginsburg led an Ampex research team developing the first practical video tape recorder (VTR). In 1951 the first video tape recorder captured live images from television cameras by converting the camera's electrical impulses and saving the information onto magnetic video tape.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

There are umpteen possible answers to this, depending on what you mean by 'video camera', do you mean the scientific theory that led to the first television cameras? do you mean the evolution to the recognisable technology using vidicon tubes? Do you mean a ccd based portable camera recording to tape? Do you mean an all in one device camcorder?

All good answers so far depending on what you mean.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_television

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
It is appropriate ton separate the acts of

1) Converting an (optical) scene to an electronic signal
2) Recording the signal

IMO, (2) is irrelevant. You totally can have a "video camera" without having any means to record the signal. You still have a video camera, for, for example CCTV for remote viewing. Applications include viewing inside dangerous or inaccessible spaces (pipes or nuclear reactor chambers), and security. I'm sure there are many others. Early TV broadcasts were transmitted live, because there was no means of recording the signal and playing it back later. (Or if there was, it was not practical or economically feasible.)

So I'll agree with Farnsworth or Baird. I don't remember who did it first.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
mkabi said:
Why ask here, instead of google? or any other search engine? What compelled you to ask this question here? And are there any follow up questions?
Probably not, since he asked almost a year ago.

lol... I didn't even look at the date, I never do...
Who keeps reviving old topics?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.