Who is going to buy the 11-24 f/4L?

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
mackguyver said:
I'm planning to stay up tomorrow night just so I can be one of the first to preorder this badboy. I can see myself making good money with one of my clients who always loved my Sigma 12-24 II work.
Anyone else plan to buy one?
I also have the Sigma 12-24 (MkI) and I bring it out a few times a year. It's a fun lens though commercially acceptable output can only be realised shooting at f/11. Wide open it looks like soup. If the new 11-24 f/4 can deliver the goods at f/4, then I'm a buyer. It will open up possibilities you wouldn't bother attempting with the Sigma. The clincher would be if it comfortably out-performs my current 16-35 f/2.8II which delivers kind of acceptable files. Beyond f/5.6 my old 17-40 outperformed my 16-35 f/2.8II. Darn! I should have kept it!

If the 11-24 f/4 proves to be a capable lens, I could see it replacing my 16-35 II which I mainly use in the 16-24mm range anyway. Anyone seen a price?

-pw

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
SwnSng said:
It all depends on the reviews. I rather have the canon 100-400mm first because little league season is right around the corner. Meanwhile, i'm quite happy with the Nikon 14-24mm even though it's not that fun to actually use.
The 16-35 f/4L IS is fine for my needs, along with my 15mm FishEye. I'm an enthusiastic amateur and I've already spent more than I ever thought I would spend on photography gear.
If I buy one more lens it'd be the EF 100-400/L II

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
zlatko said:
CaptureWhatYouSee said:
11 is way too wide for a FF.... the supposed target buyer.
16 is borderline usable.

I'd buy it for $500 as a novelty.

11mm is way too wide for me too. The widest I like is 20mm.

Yes, but cropping the extreme FOV will offer numerous creative opportunities which may not be possible with the current gear. Ugh... now I'm thinking a 5Ds and 11-24L - there goes my 600L fund.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Since we have one for the 5Ds bodies, why not one have one for the lens.

I'm planning to stay up tomorrow night just so I can be one of the first to preorder this badboy. I can see myself making good money with one of my clients who always loved my Sigma 12-24 II work.

Anyone else plan to buy one?

Didn't you say that your new "gears" resolution was not to preorder any new lenses???

Upvote 0
Although I'd love to have my hands on it, I simply can't imagine a responsible reason to buy one.

Only paid work I use wide angles for is Real Estate. If the same room/framing can be shot at a longer focal length, usually wider than 17mm is not preferable.

Only time I can imagine having no choice but to use <16mm are very very small spaces like bathrooms.

And for $3k, I think I'll settle with having only most of a bathroom in a single shot as opposed to all of it.

Upvote 0
Since Canon has the balls to charge $3k for this lens, it is clear that we will see a great lens. Unless they are back to the over pricing strategy they were on prior to the new 16-35 and the 100-400 lenses.

I really question what I will be using it for though. The 16-35 f4L IS is a stellar performer and, unless you carry two bodies, it is a lot more versatile than 11-24. I have never felt the need for something wider than 15mm (I didn´t believe I needed that either ...), so I wonder if this will become the great lens occupying its place in my bag, without being used. Alternatively, will it be good enough to justify selling the 16-35 and the Zeiss 15mm?

But I guess, the only way to find out is to follow of my weak character and get one ::)

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
Eldar said:
I have never felt the need for something wider than 15mm (I didn´t believe I needed that either ...),

;D I've had similar experiences with a lot of photography gear I bought which I initially felt I never needed, nor had use for. It's funny how you feel the need for something after you buy it.

Upvote 0