Why 5DmkII file size varies so much....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jrda2

When shooting my 5Dmkii in JPEG (all in "L" fine quality) I have noticed that the file size of each picture is commonly around 5.3-6.2 MB - just as indicated in the Canon instruction manual. However, many times the file size will go up to 7-12 MBs without changing any settings on the camera. Sometimes the file size changes with a lens change, but I have also noted wide variations in file size using the same lens and same settings with the only change being the subject. I am curious why there is such a variance in file size without changing settings?

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
The amount of noise and detail varies from image to image. A 5D MK II image should be around 25mp, if you are shooting Raw, but the size will vary a lot.

Turn up the ISO to 3200 and compare image sizes with lower ISO shots. The noise is visible as a very fine detail. Compare a shot with few fine details with one with many small details, and you will see what happens.

Upvote 0
Check out wikipedia and the JPEG section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#JPEG_compression you will get your math fill for a month! Short story is that sharp and high contrast edges require a lot more space to render.

As a test, take a picture of a blank wall and another of a house plant. The second should be much larger. The more detail that is saved in the pic, the larger the file.

Exposure will also change the file size as parts of the image may blow out or be clipped in the dark regions and decrease the amount of overall detail in the image.

Upvote 0
P

PaperTiger

All of this is true. It became especially apparent when I was exporting all the image samples for my website and had to keep them very small (<200 kb for fast load times) and you'd really have to work with your compression settings for certain images. A b+w image with a lot of white or black space is going to be considerably smaller than a colour image with loads of fine detail. You'll see this variance in RAW files as well, although it's often not as drastic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.