Why did you choose Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2012
As for many other people, it depended on the situation of friends/family.

Most of them were shooting Canon and when I bought my first reflex I found natural to do what people that I supposed were more knowledgeable than me were doing.

I never regretted my choice until recently. When I wanted to buy a FF I realized that the D600 was offering more than the 6D for less money. I bought one along with the 85mm f/1.8G and so far I'm enjoying the combination terribly. I'm still learning to shoot with a different system, but overall I'm already quite impressed.

Upvote 0
It's funny so many people mention the yellow and red of Nikon as a negative. I'll admit that I wanted a Nikon because of it, I think it looks great. I got into dSLR with a 400D around 7 years ago, and at that entry level the Canon and Nikon offerings were pretty much identical. I wasn't sure which to get so I went to the store to try them both. They both felt more or less the same, but I thought the Nikon looked cooler. However, the overlay in the viewfinder that tells the exposure settings was just a little bit fuzzy in the Nikon. I thought about asking someone at the store, but instead just grabbed the Canon. It wasn't until months later that I learned about the diopter adjustment. Oops.

I haven't really cared one way or the other too much but there's been a few times. When moving into off-camera flash the word on the street is that Nikon dominates this discipline, but there seems plenty that I can do with my Speedlites. Recently looking at FF I see that the D600 has a lot more to offer than the 6D, but I'm too invested in Canon at this point. Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over, specs mostly just stay on paper.

Upvote 0
Because it was the only film camera at the pawn shop. had a Pentax k1000 but ended up giving it a way as a Christmas present back in the 1990's. When I looking for my first digital camera I couldn't afford many lenses. I had the 35-80mm lens from the Rebel x/s film camera so I decided to go with a refurbished 40D and the 70-200mm f 4.0L. I finally got the 15-85mm this past Christmas, but still love the 70-200 more.

Upvote 0
My ex had a Canon Pro 1 (Bridge camera with "L" lens optics) which impressed me and when I got ready to buy my first DSLR (Rebel XS), I went with Canon because I was satisfied with the image quality and overall simplicity of operating the camera, yet with so many options. That and most pros that I see use Canon gear.

I eventually upgraded to a Rebel T2i (along with a 50mm 1.8, I loved that combo, even though it had no AFMA adjustments, it felt like it was perfectly adjusted) and when I went to upgrade to a full-frame, I briefly considered switching brand.

In the end, I stuck with Canon and went with a 6D, due to Canon's greater selection of lenses, especially their top-notch primes (85L, 135L) and impressive zoom (70-200 2.8L IS II, 70-300 4-5.6 IS L) lenses.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I started with NIkon in the mid-70s with an FM. Around 1998-2000 (don't remember exactly when) I had a pair of F5 and some long glass. And Canon had the Eos 3 with eye control and IS long glass. So I switched to IS sooner than later.

Since then I occasionally consider switching back but there is no compelling reason

Upvote 0
Bought my first SLR in 1974 - a Canon FTb-n with a 50mm 1.4. In 1990 I wanted to switch to autofocus and had every intention of switching to Nikon (Canon pissed me off with the incompatible lens change). Sales guy talked me into a Canon 10s - I wanted the Nikon 8008s. Still have the 10s and 540EZ flash, but stayed with Canon and in 2006 I bought a 30D, 430EX and 17-40 f4L. No regrets.

Upvote 0

helpful

Ecclesiastes 3:11
Mar 6, 2012
It's photography, and somewhat cameras and lenses in general, that I love, not Canon. I'm passionate about the art that I create with a camera, not about the word on the front of the camera.

So the reason I "chose" Canon was the exact reason I chose and use several other brands--the unique features that I need for making a specific image.

For Canon, this would be some of its lenses, which in their niche are either superior or unique.

And for the same reason I have almost an equal amount of Nikon equipment. For example, today I shot with a Canon camera about half the time and with Nikon camera combo for the other half of the time. Using both of those systems, as well as many others, and being proficient at them, allows one to see photography freely as an art form, not as the customer of a camera brand.

Just like a B.A. normally requires a foreign language, so an M.F.A. in photography should require knowledge of a "foreign" camera system until we know it just as well as our "native" language. Ideally, we should have no other native language except the language of art itself.

Upvote 0
risc32 said:
electronic motor control of the aperture blades.(100% electrical contacts between the camera and lens)
wide, high quality lens selection.
fast AF.
option of using nikon, and other glass with adaptors.
ergos-a quick look at the back of their flash units makes much more sense to me than what is on nikon gear.

that all still applies, but when i moved into the canon system i would have also said that nikon's camera offerrings where a joke. that's not so now. now they have their act together, but then, they were pretty bad. (digital up until the D3) i now have a 1n, but when i REALLY shot film i used a pentax so i can't say.

Also, canons look very nice. they are smooth and modern, nikons look like tractors.

I LOLed because it's sooo true. :D

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

When I was to buy my first DSLS Canon was all over the TV commercials with the EOS 400D so I went to check it out and it came with two kit lenses, it felt like à really good deal. The guy in the camera shop also spoke about it. I haven't looked back since. I then moved to a 60D and now a 5D3. I am really happy with My Canon gear and since I've invested in a few L lenses it would take much for me to change brand. I'll have my 5D3 for at least five more years and will likely pick up a couple of more lenses during that time. We'll see how it goes then.

Upvote 0
When I first started to get into photography 20 years ago, I was bought a second hand Canon AE1 Programme by my parents. Prior to this I'd been using a very old Pentax K1000 loaned to me by my University. The AE1 just felt and looked a million miles better than similar cameras in that range and category. This view was based on nothing more than gut feeling of what felt right for me. It was from then that my loyalty started.

Currently I have the 5d3, but I've had numerous bodies over the years including the legendary T90, the not so legendary 500N and 50E. I still have a boxed and as new Eos 3 which I just cant bring myself to part with (for me this was the pinnacle of the Canon film SLR range and I hope one day some smart person will come up with a digital back for it!).

Camera brand loyalty is like a religion in my view - just without the singing and prayers!

Upvote 0
Late in 1978, I was shooting with a pair of Nikkormats, a pair of FMs, and and F2 Photomic. I had 18mm, 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 105mm, 135mm, 200mm and 300mm. Around that time, my F2 died. Shutter is not opening. Second curtain follows the first. Sent in to Nikon. Came back dead - with a bill. Shutter still not opening. Not good. Send back... saying... hey guys, don't mind the bill (about $135) but at least FIX the camera. Another month passes... comes back again, dead. Shutter works, but the meter, which used to work, is not working. Send back again... meter is repaired for another $135. I'm getting pissed, as the camera was out of warranty by a month when it died, and now its about five months later... and it comes back, meter fixed, shutter dead - same problem. Send back, yet again, Nikon wants another $135 to fix it, even though I had not made image #1 with the "repaired" shutter, had all the documentation on the previous repairs. Called Nikon many many times... not budging. Send it back unrepaired - screw you, I told 'em. Also gotta consider that Victor Borod was my Nikon Rep, and his father in law Bernie Deitchman was VP head of Nikon Sales in North America, and used to come into our shop all the time... no luck getting any strings pulled.

Well, I finally got the F2 back, meter worked shutter didn't open. I whacked it soundly with my hand, it started working. I promptly sold/traded for a Canon F1, and a pair of AE-1 Programs with 17, 20, 24, 35, 50, 85, 100, 135 and 200.

To tell the truth, I liked the Nikon lenses better. Not in terms of sharpness, but in terms of snap and color rendition. In their day, the Canon FD glass (compared to the Nikon of the same era) was not quite as snappy, a certain lack of pizazz that is hard to describe. Not veiled, but just a miniscule amount lower in contrast I guess. And, the Canon's were a good deal cooler than the Nikon glass... but what seemed like nearly 1.5dM (although it wasn't that much ... it seemed like it).

Never looked back. Upped to EOS-5 film bodies, not as many lenses. Was shooting a lot of medium format at that time... so the 35 was relegated to birds and candids. I had bird and candid lenses - 28, 50, 300 and a 1.4x. Much more than that now... but thats how I did Canon.

Upvote 0
My photographic adventures started with a hand me down Minolta X 370. For my 15th birthday I was given a Canon rebel G and begin investing. In '09 I bought a Nikon D3000. Although satisfied with the photos, I started shooting video as well. At the time (2010) Canon had the least expensive way to shoot professional quality video and came to realize that the lenses I invested in prior still worked, so I ended up with Canon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.