Why do people post photos on the social websites?

Today I post them on FB because I don't have a personal webpage (yet). And I want to share some good photos.
Good photos: it's relative term. I mean good for my current abilities.

Few years ago I posted everything, no matter of quality, but now I'm not doing that anymore. Also I was not so "addicted" with photography, as I am now. A little bit of joke here. ;)

Upvote 0
I mostly post links to my work (versus actual photos) because I'm not too trusting of the social networks who remove my metadata including copyright, but will occasionally share a low res photo to promote myself, especially upon request. For example, the horse competition I covered the other day asked for a photo to use as their Facebook "cover" photo, so I gave them a 850x315 version of the photo and they gave me credit. Yes, I could have asked for payment, but I've already been paid for this shoot and it's a fun photo that's worth more as a promotional tool. You can see it here at the top of their page: Red Hills Horse Trials Facebook Page

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I mostly post links to my work (versus actual photos) because I'm not too trusting of the social networks who remove my metadata including copyright, but will occasionally share a low res photo to promote myself, especially upon request. For example, the horse competition I covered the other day asked for a photo to use as their Facebook "cover" photo, so I gave them a 850x315 version of the photo and they gave me credit. Yes, I could have asked for payment, but I've already been paid for this shoot and it's a fun photo that's worth more as a promotional tool. You can see it here at the top of their page: Red Hills Horse Trials Facebook Page
So I guess than makes you Lou. Nice to meet you ;)

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
mackguyver said:
Nope, not that photo - the one at the TOP - the sequence photo - here's the link the enlarged version:
https://www.facebook.com/115683211789568/photos/a.375049229186297.91533.115683211789568/759900324034517/?type=1&theater

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Eldar said:
mackguyver said:
Nope, not that photo - the one at the TOP - the sequence photo - here's the link the enlarged version:
https://www.facebook.com/115683211789568/photos/a.375049229186297.91533.115683211789568/759900324034517/?type=1&theater
Ian Anderson, even better! You play flute and sing for Jethro Tull!! I knew you were one of the good guys ;)

Upvote 0
Because I want my friends, or my friends' friends to see the photos.

E.g. I've seen a band playing jazz music in a street with half a dozen people dancing, took photos, and posted some on my web page to share a bit of the experience with my friends. Shared it on the band's FB feed, and the people who danced (apparently fans of the band) tagged each other. Apparently they wanted to share the "been there, enjoyed that" story with their friends as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Generally, I post personal photos on my Facebook page. Pictures of family mostly, but some vacation pictures to share the experience. Only occasionally do a post my "serious" work on Facebook. I reserve that for my website.

I've thought about trying to better coordinate the two and use Facebook to drive more people to my website. I may do that eventually, but haven't found the time for it yet.

Upvote 0
It depends on your business model. I actively shoot functions that are attended by my friends or acquaintances and posting on FB gives me the opportunity to literally put my work in front of them on a reguluar basis. It's free advertising and allows me to show the full breadth of my work to an audience that may only have a limited understanding of what types of things I shoot or the quality of my work. I post highlights of almost everything I shoot to FB instead of having my own blog-type of site. It's easy and has a wider audience. I also post everything under a separate photography page that isn't my own personal page.

If you have concerns about your images getting taken and reused, you can post lower res and watermarked shots or just opt out all together.

I just did shoot this weekend based on someone on the other side of the country who briefly met me at an event and later saw my photos on FB that were tagged and shared. This client is likely to turn into a long-term customer, too. That means a $0 advertising investement is turning into cash in my pocket.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
Ian Anderson, even better! You play flute and sing for Jethro Tull!! I knew you were one of the good guys ;)
Yep, that's me - the secret's out! Fortunately I have aged very well, but I have completely lost all of my musical ability and lost my British accent altogether. Wait, I'm not that guy - but I try to be one of the good guys :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Just a question that popped into my mind. Why do people post photos on social websites?

Today I removed most of my photos off FB because I'm no longer sure why I share them.

Thoughts ...

PS: I am a hobby photographer

Simple answer: because they want other people to see and enjoy them. To me that's what photographs are for. I've been following some of the media hype (especially in Europe where I'm from originally) around privacy, safety and copyright concerns. Fair enough.
But I see no value (apply any meaning here) in keeping my photos private and locked up. Yes, you want to think twice what you post and who you give access to what. But I must admit I enjoy social media - and often for the pictures especially. Despite the occasional over-sharing I like seeing what friends and acquaintances are up to. Especially those who I otherwise don't get to see or hear from much.

And sometimes between all the kids, pets and travel pics (including the "look what's on my plate" variety) there are photographic gems that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. I try to return the favor in limited and (I hope) reasonable way. And that's just Facebook. I also like Flickr and 500px to just go browsing through some incredible work.

And I'm in my mid forties and not some Gen Y kid who doesn't know any different.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dick said:
J.R. said:
Why do people post photos on social websites?

A very good question! It amazes me how easily people post up photos of their kids too. I for one like to protect my kids from that kind of crap. I can't think of a thing to gain by posting up those photos. There is a S___ load to lose...

I'm using FB and I restricted it only to my closest friends depending on the album type.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Just a question that popped into my mind. Why do people post photos on social websites?

Today I removed most of my photos off FB because I'm no longer sure why I share them.

Thoughts ...

PS: I am a hobby photographer

Mostly Professional photographers post their photographs on social networking sites like Facebook so that their followers will get a constant update to their new shots on the facebook page which almost everyone visits daily without following to their website.

But posting on Facebook without any sort of protection can lead to photo theft.Many of my images posted on facebook were stolen and re-posted on someone else's facebook page.Had to contact Facebook and wait for a long time to get those removed.What i do now is Resize my large resolution pics ,watermark,add exif with this tool called Mass Watermark.It allows processing pics in Bulk and then i Upload it to facebook.Take a look How to Watermark your Photos and Protect them against Theft

Watermarking has brought down photo theft to a large extent

Upvote 0