Why does Canon release 17 new powershot cameras per YEAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2011
hamada said:
Dylan777 said:
Canon's philosophy " if you build it, they buy it".

I'm glad EOS-M didn't do well. Let see what Canon can do with their next mirrorless cameras.

what does "not well" means?

when canons masaya maeda says a camera does not sell well (or as expected) then pentax or ricoh would still be very happy with the sales numbers.

i read that at least in japan the EOS M was for some time in the top 5 of the most sold mirrorless cameras. BNC ranking = 9.2% market share.

to know what "well" really means we need some hard numbers.

Let take CRs site and see how many members using EOS-M, or should I say happy with AF.

Where can I get the data showing Canon EOS-M is "top 5 of the most sold mirrorless cameras. BNC ranking = 9.2% market share."?

I see alot of this, but Canon EOS-M is no where to be found.
http://www.cameradebate.com/2012/top-10-selling-csc-milc-july-2012-ranking/

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

Dylan777 said:
Let take CRs site and see how many members using EOS-M, or should I say happy with AF.

LOL.. well lets go to a ferrari meeting and look how many are happy with a VW golf.

people here are in no way representative for an average customer, you should have learned that by now. ;)

Where can I get the data showing Canon EOS-M is "top 5 of the most sold mirrorless cameras. BNC ranking = 9.2% market share."?

well BNC ranking i guess? :p

Dylan777 said:
I see alot of this, but Canon EOS-M is no where to be found.

hamada said:
EOS M was for some time in the top 5 of the most sold mirrorless cameras

when i remember right it was reported in oktober 2012, that the EOS-M was on third spot in japan.

ps: the EOS M was announced on 23. july 2012... so don´t wonder that it does not show up in a july 2012 ranking.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/07/canon-eos-m-official/

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
P&S is a vastly different item than dslrs as others noted and it abides to different rules. When someone goes in a shop for a 2k+ camera he usually knows damn well what he wants to buy, on the other hand, someone looking for a P&S usually doesnt have a clue and will buy whatever the salesperson convinces him to or whatever tickles his fancy. And its in this aspect that having dozens of new models every year makes sense. Think about toothpastes in the supermarket. Every brand has dozens with slight different characteristics (and usually the same paste inside). The reason for this?
Shelf space.
Think about it. Having the best toothpaste in the world is not enough to guarantee sales when its just 1 item in a shelf of 50. Whereas if you could have 15+...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.