Why has Canon omitted 24p 4K recording in their new cameras such as the EOS M6 Mark II, EOS 90D and EOS RP?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It’s easy to jump on a company or a product for features that it doesn’t have, and on the internet, the negative a lot of the time has a louder voice than the positives.
Since the Canon EOS RP which doesn’t have 24p in Full HD record, but does in 4K without DPAF, PowerShot G7 X Mark III and PowerShot G5 X Mark II launched without 4K and/or 1080 recording in 24p, a lot of Canon users have been very vocal in their disapproval of the decisions along with asking why on earth the feature doesn’t appear in their new cameras.
Now that the Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II have launched without 4K in 24p, it seems to be a new trend for Canon to omit this recording capability.
The question is why?

I posted a silly poll on Twitter last night asking why you think Canon has started to omit the ability and joke’s aside...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I'd love if someone who actually knows about electronics could speculate if it could actually be a hardware issue with available timings or something.

The other video issue, the removal of MOV and ALL-I encoding, might really be about transistor budget; perhaps the hardware just isn't there in DIGIC 8. Though it is a mystery to me why Canon even bothered to make a distinction between MOV and MP4; after all they're just container formats and the actual data is MPEG-4 anyway…

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'd love if someone who actually knows about electronics could speculate if it could actually be a hardware issue with available timings or something.

The other video issue, the removal of MOV and ALL-I encoding, might really be about transistor budget; perhaps the hardware just isn't there in DIGIC 8. Though it is a mystery to me why Canon even bothered to make a distinction between MOV and MP4; after all they're just container formats and the actual data is MPEG-4 anyway…

I don't think it has anything to do with hardware, the DIGIC 8 powered EOS R does it all.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I don't think it has anything to do with hardware, the DIGIC 8 powered EOS R does it all.

True. But I'm also not at all sure that a DIGICn is a DIGICn is a DIGICn. That is, the branding is more about marketing, and different instances of the same generation of DIGIC may have different hardware details, just like different Intel processor models have different features even though they share the microarchitecture generation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My guess is that Canon decided to dumb down their consumer cameras. Most probably don't know what 24p vs 30p vs mov vs mp4 vs all-i vs intra mean. They just want an easy way to capture their kid running around their backyard. They are also just going to put the camera in auto. In this case, giving the user a single 30p/4K choice is the best option.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Good point on the licensing side. I hadn't considered that, but was just as confused as everyone else here.

Again, I really don't buy segmentation here because there are no other upstream products to push people to at the moment that don't have their own sacrifices. Maybe there is another product coming that ticks all those boxes for the few interested and that is what people will be pushed to.

Upvote 0
Just Canon proving they are a greedy company. Maybe they are just saving their pennies for a rough future. Some companies care about customers and some dont.

There's a long list of companies that "care about their customers" right into bankruptcy. Would you rather Canon give you everything you want at the price you want for the next few years...and then go out of business, or produce imperfect-but-competitive cameras (and exceptional lenses) for the next 50-75 years?

Consumers think short view. Successful businesses think long view. There are often instances where one comes at the expense of the other. Finding the right balance is what leads to succeeding in a competitive marketplace, which Canon is doing.

It's also helpful to remember that if a company doesn't make products demanded by the market, they won't sell any and will go out of business. Canon has no interest in that scenario, and releasing the occasional head-scratcher or flop isn't proof otherwise.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
24p isn't patented and doesn't need to be licensed. No more than a car MFG having to pay licenses for the speeds a car can go. More probable reason would be.. 24p gets choppy or jumpy when camera movement isn't smooth. Considering these 2 cameras were designed for the beginner or low level amateur whom probable owns less equipment. I believe they designed the camera to be successful with is user in mind.

24p wasn't set as the standard because how wonderful it was.... simply because it was the slowest that still provided realistic movement on screen. In other words... the cheapest way to produce a film people would like to watch without walking out of the theater.

Those who think 24p is for cinematic look need to realize "The Hobbit" series was shot in 48p. Additionally, the next two "Avatar" films are said to be filmed in higher frame rates as well.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0