Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hobby Shooter

bc29 said:
How do you find the size of the 6D, coming from your 5D MkII? No stores have the 6D in stock where I live. Hoping to visit B&H and get a feel for one when I am in NY next month.

I have the 50D, and I find the ergonomics great. I held a 60D and found it smaller than my liking. Is the 6D closer to either in size, or in between? My other concern is the lack of a joystick! Mostly ergonomic questions, since I am confident in the 6D's image quality.
Hi, I used to have a 60D, sold it when I had bought my 5D3. I got the chance to play around with the 6D at my store. It felt small compared to the 5D3, but still very comfortable and I didn't have to move around my hand to get to the buttons because of the smaller housing. As I am new to the 5D3 I haven't really gotten used to the joystick, I mostly use the scrollers anyway.

In all, for the 6D I don't think you need to worry about ergonomics or build.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Many of you know that I recently acquired a Canon 6D, and I have been asked by multiple posters both in the forum and by email to give my reasons why I made the decision I did. I have wasted far too much time doing just that today ;D

Here is the link to my website where I shared my findings: http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/why-i-chose-a-canon-eos-6d-over-a-5d-mkiii/

Also, if any of you are interested in adapting old M42 lens to the new 6D, here are my findings with my little kit of vintage glass: http://www.dustinabbott.net/2013/02/the-new-canon-eos-6d-and-classic-m42-lens/

Disclaimer: I have no intention of starting a flame war. I believe that the 5D MK3 is overall the better camera and I intend to upgrade my MK2 to a MK3 down the road. I came to the conclusions that I share for myself and felt those conclusions and hands on experiences might help others making a similar type decision.
No flame war here, I am a happy owner of the 5D3, I bought it in May last year. But having seen the 6D and played around with it together with reading the reviews, if I was to make the choice today I would have picked the 6D.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Without reading your review, the number one reason people pick 6D over 5D III is the PRICE TAG.

Samething for Tammy 24-70 f2.8 VC over Canon f2.8 II
Don't be so sure. I've seen many who picked the 6D because it has better IQ (dynamic range, high ISO noise) than the 5D3.

Think about it - not everyone is fond of shooting sports and weddings. If "super duper AF" and FPS is not important, then why pay 1000 bucks more for a bigger and heavier camera, with less IQ? :) Yes, even if it is just marginally less.

To a lot of people (me included) IQ is the highest of all priorities.

Better IQ and higher ISO? that what current 6D owners want&wish to hear ;D
I see. Well then, I guess there is no point in arguing with you, since you obviously don't know the facts.

But perhaps it's for the best. :D

Since you said "you obviously don't know the facts", about you and I share some pictures from both cameras(6D Vs 5D III). In my comparsions, I DO NOT see 6D offers better DR than 5D III. Pictures were shots with 24-70 f2.8 II in mid afternoon, sunset, and some in extreme low light.

Are you willing to share your own shots, 6D Vs 5D III comparions? I'm more than willing to show you mines.

So much for not starting a flame war...lets all just agree to disagree.

Upvote 0
joshmurrah said:
The 6D has better IQ/DR than a 5D3?? Citation?

Here are a couple, although I have read this in many reviews: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171136

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/836|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/795|0/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28appareil3%29/483|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

I have not owned or used a 5D3, so I can't speak from experience, but some pretty well established testing sites have come to the same conclusion regarding IQ and overall noise. I can certainly attest to significantly (noticeably) superior results to my 5D2, which I am very familiar with.

Upvote 0
DXO actually benchmarked the 6D sensor as being (marginally) better than the 5D3 (an 82 as compared to an 81). This is the same score that they gave the 1Dx, so take that for what it is worth.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-The-best-value-for-money-in-the-EOS-range/Measurement

They measure the dynamic range as 12.1 as compared to 11.7 stops for the 5D3.

That being said, they do fawn over the new Nikon sensors in a somewhat unrealistic fashion, so, again, take it for what it is worth. But these are real citations ;D

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

robbymack said:
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
Without reading your review, the number one reason people pick 6D over 5D III is the PRICE TAG.

Samething for Tammy 24-70 f2.8 VC over Canon f2.8 II
Don't be so sure. I've seen many who picked the 6D because it has better IQ (dynamic range, high ISO noise) than the 5D3.

Think about it - not everyone is fond of shooting sports and weddings. If "super duper AF" and FPS is not important, then why pay 1000 bucks more for a bigger and heavier camera, with less IQ? :) Yes, even if it is just marginally less.

To a lot of people (me included) IQ is the highest of all priorities.

Better IQ and higher ISO? that what current 6D owners want&wish to hear ;D
I see. Well then, I guess there is no point in arguing with you, since you obviously don't know the facts.

But perhaps it's for the best. :D

Since you said "you obviously don't know the facts", about you and I share some pictures from both cameras(6D Vs 5D III). In my comparsions, I DO NOT see 6D offers better DR than 5D III. Pictures were shots with 24-70 f2.8 II in mid afternoon, sunset, and some in extreme low light.

Are you willing to share your own shots, 6D Vs 5D III comparions? I'm more than willing to show you mines.

So much for not starting a flame war...lets all just agree to disagree.
Some people are more proned than others to start these wars pushing their opinions on people who haven't asked for them.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

DXO actually benchmarked the 6D sensor as being (marginally) better than the 5D3 (an 82 as compared to an 81). This is the same score that they gave the 1Dx, so take that for what it is worth.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-The-best-value-for-money-in-the-EOS-range/Measurement

They measure the dynamic range as 12.1 as compared to 11.7 stops for the 5D3.

That being said, they do fawn over the new Nikon sensors in a somewhat unrealistic fashion, so, again, take it for what it is worth. But these are real citations ;D
I thought we didn't like DXO here :p

Seriously, I'm sure most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing. Everyone is coming into this thread already knowing that the 5D mark III is the better overall camera. But what I'm also seeing is people who need to justify their purchases again, and that's where all the flaming starts. The truth is, the 6D is a great full frame camera to build on, but it's not that far down below the 5D mark III, especially for normal use. The uneducated folks in this forum seem to use the word "rebelized" (a term which only applies to Americans, really) a lot, and probably never even used a rebel much less a 6D to actually feel and shoot photos with them to know the difference. Another misconception I notice is the justification of the 6D sensor being incrementally better. What is unknown to both DXO and someone who hasn't shot photos with both, is that the difference is barely if not at all seen in real world results. Fact is, the 5D mark III will always produce more keepers in some specific shooting conditions, and IQ is more than just nailing one good photo. IQ is also about nailing good photos all the time. And that's the main reason why people put the 6D down, not throwing into account that the 6D in general purpose will at least do more than half of the 5D mark III's job just as good. I.e if you're a landscape or macro/portrait shooter you will very rarely need the higher AF performance and will make up for it in a big way with its more robust, low noise, full frame sensor. That said, the 6D is doing quite well picking up from where the 5D mark II left off and the 5D mark III is a very good next generation camera.

Upvote 0
Just noticed this in your review. You're perpetuating the myth that the 6D has less high ISO noise than the 5D3. This is simply not true. It's an optical illusion. The 6D has less color noise but more grain. Meaning that they actually will have identical levels of noise, as shown by tests, they just require different noise reduction settings. The 5D Mark III is just uglier unprocessed leading people to falsley conclude that it has less noise.

Also the 6D at iso 102400 is actually iso 70000 while the 5D Mark III is iso 77000, and there are other discrepancies between the ISO ratings, so you need to correct both for wildly different noise charachter and wildly different ISO scales. When you do that, you'll find what every other qualified reviewer has said, the 6D has identical level of noise to the 5D Mark III. Anyone who claims otherwise is jumping to conclusions.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2013
Chosenbydestiny said:
Here's the thing. Everyone is coming into this thread already knowing that the 5D mark III is the better overall camera. But what I'm also seeing is people who need to justify their purchases again, and that's where all the flaming starts. The truth is, the 6D is a great full frame camera to build on, but it's not that far down below the 5D mark III, especially for normal use. The uneducated folks in this forum seem to use the word "rebelized" (a term which only applies to Americans, really) a lot, and probably never even used a rebel much less a 6D to actually feel and shoot photos with them to know the difference. Another misconception I notice is the justification of the 6D sensor being incrementally better. What is unknown to both DXO and someone who hasn't shot photos with both, is that the difference is barely if not at all seen in real world results. Fact is, the 5D mark III will always produce more keepers in some specific shooting conditions, and IQ is more than just nailing one good photo. IQ is also about nailing good photos all the time. And that's the main reason why people put the 6D down, not throwing into account that the 6D in general purpose will at least do more than half of the 5D mark III's job just as good. I.e if you're a landscape or macro/portrait shooter you will very rarely need the higher AF performance and will make up for it in a big way with its more robust, low noise, full frame sensor. That said, the 6D is doing quite well picking up from where the 5D mark II left off and the 5D mark III is a very good next generation camera.

Very well said. ;)

In thinking about it, I guess there's really just a few important questions (and these questions will change depending upon your personal use and need). Here's what I think (IMO) are a few of those questions...

1. Can I afford this camera? (And does it offer ME value?)
2. Will I use this camera? (And then, will I use it as the tool it's designed to be utilized as? )
3. Will I be pleased with the results that come from this camera? (Note that this is also a function of understanding your own skill level - lot's of people are perfectly pleased with P&S camera results).
4. If this is related to my work/business, can I make money with this camera's results?
5. And, probably my favorite question, Will I have fun shooting this thing?!

There may be more, but in essence, that's really what's important. I bet a lot of 6D, 5D III, and other model's owners can all answer a resounding YES to those questions. I ask myself these questions for my camera's, my A/V equipment, and my car. Gotta be fun though - that's a deal killer.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Radiating said:
Just noticed this in your review. You're perpetuating the myth that the 6D has less high ISO noise than the 5D3. This is simply not true. It's an optical illusion. The 6D has less color noise but more grain. Meaning that they actually will have identical levels of noise, as shown by tests, they just require different noise reduction settings. The 5D Mark III is just uglier unprocessed leading people to falsley conclude that it has less noise.

If it's "an optical illusion" that the 6D has less noise, that means that photos taken with the 6D look as though they have less noise. Since noise is only a problem because of what it looks like, then....

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
bc29 said:
How do you find the size of the 6D, coming from your 5D MkII? No stores have the 6D in stock where I live. Hoping to visit B&H and get a feel for one when I am in NY next month.

I have the 50D, and I find the ergonomics great. I held a 60D and found it smaller than my liking. Is the 6D closer to either in size, or in between? My other concern is the lack of a joystick! Mostly ergonomic questions, since I am confident in the 6D's image quality.

I get the impression that - as with so many other aspects of 6D comparisons - size differences are probably exaggerated. I have a 5DII and a 6D (and a Rebel) and the differences in external dimensions between the 5DII and 6D strike me as trivial (I've never so much as touched a 60D, so I can't compare that). The 5DII is c. a quarter of an inch wider, but in other dimensions the differences are less than that. They do feel different, though, partly because the 6D is lighter, and partly because its contours are a bit different - they taper differently and the grip on the 6D is deeper but narrower (for me that makes it even easier to carry by the grip than the 5DII). The 5DIII (I don't own one but have rented it) looks and feels much the same as the 5DII. Which - if any - feels better is, of course, entirely subjective; I like the feel of all of these FF contestants, but that's just me.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
I thought we didn't like DXO here :p

Seriously, I'm sure most of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.
[/quote]

That's probably true (and it's also probably true if you toss the Nikon D600 into the mix as well). And because it's true, and because image quality is ultimately what matters most (well, to some of us, anyway), that says a lot for the 6D. If the images you end up with look essentially the same (though the 6D's may look slightly better at high ISOs and if you go berserk lightening shadows), the question becomes whether the additional features of the 5DIII are as significant as the difference in price; and whether they are depends on what you shoot and your preferences in doing so. They aren't for me - the superiority of the 6D's center focus point over the 5DIII's (not to mention the D600's) in very low light is something I often benefit from, whereas the superiority of the 5DIIIs peripheral focus points isn't something I would notice (and even on the 5DIII the focus points are still lumped together in a rather small proportion of the viewfinder). None of the 5DIII's other advantages matter to me at all. For others, though, the 5DIII would obviously be the better choice (and if I end up deciding I want to use a camera differently, it might well be better for me, too). We're lucky to have both to choose from, especially given the quality of the photos the cheaper one lets you make....

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
Radiating said:

If it's "an optical illusion" that the 6D has less noise, that means that photos taken with the 6D look as though they have less noise. Since noise is only a problem because of what it looks like, then....

Not really, you can change the appearance of noise using noise reduction, what really matters is the underlying signal to noise ratio, which is all but identical between the two cameras.

Upvote 0
This thread reminds me of Porsche Boxster vs 911 owners:

Boxster Owner (6D):
1. It's lighter due to use of high grade polymers.
2. More nimble easier to handle
3. It's convertible so I see better, especially in the dark (high ISO)
4. Easier on the wallet, cost less, better value
5. This car fits ME perfectly! I love it!
6. Most important of them all, I don't need all that features

911 Owner (5D3):
1. "No comment"

911 Turbo (1DX) Owner:
1. While slapping his hand on the forehead: "Damn rookie, must be his first sports car (aka to FF)"

Upvote 0
I have owned the 5D3 since it first came out (got the first one delivered to the local dealer), and recently acquired a 6D as a 2nd camera (well, actually as a 7th camera, as I also have 1D3, 2 @ 7D, 40D & 30D). I appreciate the 5D3 as the best Canon I've owned to date (though I still really love the 1D3, but it's just older tech at this point), but the 6D is an impressive camera, and I can tell that I will enjoy using it very much. I need more time with it to really determine when I will use it most, but there will be times I'll pick it up instead of the 5D3. There is something to be said for it's simplicity and compactness, these are 'features' that, though they are about things that are not there (extra weight & additional controls, etc.), are helpful in increased nimbleness and in some ways improved handling. Sure the 5D3 has more controls and features, but the 6D has a nice consolidation of features and controls that make it an efficient and effective tool for some photographic situations. It's not as versatile as the 5D3, but for a lot of photographers it will be just as effective. I'm not even taking the GPS & WiFi into consideration here, those are additional features that in my mind put an already good camera over the top into the category of excellent camera. Really, there are only a few features that I find make the 5D3 a truly superior camera, and at a $1k premium, it is debatable which is the better buy. It depends on if things like the AF flexibility and dual cards are worth the extra money for you. Beyond those two features, I find it largely a toss up between the two cameras, as the other differences are rather minor.

Upvote 0
ThuiQuaDayNe said:
This thread reminds me of Porsche Boxster vs 911 owners:

Boxster Owner (6D):
1. It's lighter due to use of high grade polymers.
2. More nimble easier to handle
3. It's convertible so I see better, especially in the dark (high ISO)
4. Easier on the wallet, cost less, better value
5. This car fits ME perfectly! I love it!
6. Most important of them all, I don't need all that features

911 Owner (5D3):
1. "No comment"

911 Turbo (1DX) Owner:
1. While slapping his hand on the forehead: "Damn rookie, must be his first sports car (aka to FF)"

LOL...clever analogy :)

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2011
kbmelb said:
The 6D sounds like a great camera and that is a great review, but I prefer the 5D3 for the AF points, larger body, dual cards, multi controller joystick (especially on the grip) and most ergonomics in general.

As far as the center focal point, I can't remember the last time I used the center focal point. The 5D3 with all the those cross types spread out is really sweet.

There's really only one thing I'm envious of on the 6D and that is built in wifi. I have to use and Eye-Fi card for that.
I've never really run into a situation where the 1/2 DR would have made a difference. Therefore the banding issues of the 5D3 aren't an issue either. During test I do know the banding is considerably better than the 5D2.

Good points, and I do think that the 5D3 is perhaps the best all around camera available. I suspect that most 5D3 users are quite happy with their purchase. I also think, however, that most 6D users will be happy with their purchase and will discover that they got far more camera than what most people have written the 6D off to be.

No doubt. I considered a 6D when I upgraded my second camera. Unfortunately though I shoot a lot in a lot of dark club environments with colored LED lights. So I am usually underexposing backgrounds and need the flash to fire dead on every time. While doing this I am almost always using the outer AF points with spot metering. Since the 1Dx (would love to have) was well out of my range I chose to go with a 1Ds3. I picked it up for close to the $$ of a 6D. It is perfect since I'm underexposing backgrounds I'm usually under ISO 1600. For years a 1Ds2 was my go to in these environments (since the 5D2's AF and metering were so bad) so the mk3 is really kicking it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.