Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
CarlTN said:
However, I found that the 5D3 has very strong, very large grain luminance noise which shows prominently by ISO 4000. I found an adjustment of the luminance NR slider in LR4, needed to be high up at 80, to have any effect on this noise. And when it did, of course huge amounts of detail were erased along with it.

Luma NR 80 is indeed absolute overkill, even on very noisy sources I seldom use more than global 30 or any detail is lost - you can apply more nr locally with the brush for gradients.

But to the point: From everything I've read (and that's a lot when deciding what ff to get) the 5d3 and 6d sensors are very similar. The 5d3 has a bit more noise, maybe 1/3 stop, but it has a bit higher resolution and some more sharpness (even better: 5d2...) so if you tune that down to 6d level the differences should be much more minor than what you describe - but feel free to prove different by posting your sample shots.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
CarlTN said:
However, I found that the 5D3 has very strong, very large grain luminance noise which shows prominently by ISO 4000. I found an adjustment of the luminance NR slider in LR4, needed to be high up at 80, to have any effect on this noise. And when it did, of course huge amounts of detail were erased along with it.

Luma NR 80 is indeed absolute overkill, even on very noisy sources I seldom use more than global 30 or any detail is lost - you can apply more nr locally with the brush for gradients.

But to the point: From everything I've read (and that's a lot when deciding what ff to get) the 5d3 and 6d sensors are very similar. The 5d3 has a bit more noise, maybe 1/3 stop, but it has a bit higher resolution and some more sharpness (even better: 5d2...) so if you tune that down to 6d level the differences should be much more minor than what you describe - but feel free to prove different by posting your sample shots.

agreed 80 is an insane amount I never use anything like this but at high iso i leave a little noise in anyway since it's more grain like I would guess at iso 4000 i'd only be adding in 30 to 40 luma NR maybe i'd go to 60 at iso 16,000

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
wickidwombat said:
Marsu42 said:
CarlTN said:

agreed 80 is an insane amount I never use anything like this but at high iso i leave a little noise in anyway since it's more grain like I would guess at iso 4000 i'd only be adding in 30 to 40 luma NR maybe i'd go to 60 at iso 16,000

That was kind of my point. At ISO 4000 on the 6D, 30 to 40 on the luminance slider, essentially gets rid of its luminance noise...at a loss of a very tiny percentage of "resolution". Where with the 5D3's noise, I had to push to 80 to attempt a similar amount of luminance NR. So basically, at 30 to 40 on the slider with the 5D3's file, you still have large coarse grain, which looks the same as it did with the slider at zero. Where the 6D's grain is much smaller and less hard-edged (perhaps less than half the size of the 5D3's), less coarse, and does not interfere with resolution. Then it disappears with the slider at 40, and often is gone enough around 33 that you don't need to go to 40. The grain of the 5D3, is just very large, coarse...and dare I say ugly.

In addition, I always pay attention to the luminance detail and contrast sliders. If you don't get a good combination of them, then there's no point in using the top luminance NR slider at all. To get maximum detail, the luminance contrast slider needs to never go below 60 (and preferably stay above 80), and the luminance detail slider needs to be between 40 and 70. I've found this to be true no matter what camera the file came from. However, with compact cameras (I've had a few), too often the luminance detail slider needs to be near zero. So there goes all that supposed "detail" from a compact camera and its high megapixels.

Of course in the above, I am editing for detail and noise, with the file viewed at 1:1, or 100%.

As for what reviews say...I mean, I just read a "review" in one of the British photo magazines (there are a lot of them, big and brash...they all look alike...but they have some nice pictures!)...that matter-of-factly stated that the D600 had less of both types of noise, than the 6D, throughout the range all the way to ISO 25,600. And yet the sample photos they printed with the article, of a test chart...clearly show the OPPOSITE. The D600 has MORE of both types...not less...and starting from the middle of the ISO range. Whether or not the D600 resolved more detail, or lines on a chart, at high ISO, is irrelevant...if those black lines on a white chart....are covered with digital pink puke and grain that looks like dirty clods of hair. Nobody is going to print a picture like that without reducing the noise...and when you do that...there goes any "resolution" advantage of the D600.

As for resolution...in common practice there just is not much of an advantage, between 5D3 and 6D. Certainly there's more resolution from the D600 at the lower ISO settings. So if resolution at low ISO is all you care about, by all means get a D600 or D800. They blow away the 5D3. Just make sure you are accomplished at achieving high sharpness, and you have the Nikon glass to get there (less of it can than Canon glass). Also, make sure your prints are quite large. If we aren't talking prints larger than 20x30 inches, then a high megapixel camera is absolutely unnecessary...unless all you do is crop your shots to 90%.

So, again, I still say the only reasons to buy the 5D3 over the 6D, are video capability, and the bling factor of a detuned and de-balled 1DX autofocus system. Certainly it has its vital uses, not saying it doesn't. But there is little to no resolution advantage, nor is 4.5 vs 6 fps enough of a multi shot speed advantage...over the 6D.

As for the size of the 6D being too small...my hands are a size 10 glove. I assume this is average manhands. My fingers aren't long enough to feel comfortable on any Nikon f/f body. The shutter release feels like it's 3 inches out in front of the front element of, say a 50mm lens. Of course in reality it is not, it just feels that way. My pinkie to thumb reach, is 9.25 inches. Maybe this is smaller than average hands for a man, I just don't know. When I shake hands with other men, I rarely feel my hands are smaller than theirs. Theirs are usually greasier, haha.

I notice the light weight of the 6D, more than the small size. Even the 70-200 f/4 (non IS) feels front heavy on it, where it felt more balanced on my 50D. But this really can only be an advantage. If you need to balance lenses and/or flash better, you are compelled to use a battery grip (which you should be using anyway...for event-type work). Even though the specs say the 6D is only an ounce or two lighter than the 50D I just sold...it feels even lighter than that. I do prefer the ergonomic feel of the 6D to all other Canon bodies. The buttons feel a tad less mushy than the 7D's and the 5D3's.

The smaller size than the 5D3, feels just right to me. I can certainly understand if you have large hands, it would be unusable. And again, in my opinion..."Nikon hands" are connected to women with very long, pointy fingers...the Nikon body just does not fit a man's thicker more muscular palms and fingers. So the perfect Nikon shooter would be a slender woman about 6'1 in height...

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
One more brief point...regarding video capability. If you need a DSLR to shoot both stills and video, then that's fine. A 5D3 should work well. However, if you're buying a DSLR to give the "videographer" on your team something to use...and few if any still shots are done with it...consider a cinema camera, such as Black Magic. Its price has fallen to around or below the price of the 5D3. Its video capability is far superior. However...if you need the "full frame look" when shooting a video with a fast lens, and you need the widest angle of view from that lens...then again...it looks to me like the 5D3 is your best choice on a cost basis, as of now. I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I've now sold my 5DII and bought a second 6D. I love the image quality and the operation of the camera. I like the thought of being able to have two identical, responsive bodies when shooting events.

Well we have now purchased a 6D for Building Panoramics after reading Dustin's ( and others) reviews. Our reasons for choosing it over the 5D mk3 are pretty simple; the stuff we shoot doesn't move ! We were using a mark 1 and 2 previously, and the faithful old mark 1 has gone, so we're now going to be 6D/5D mk2 users.

We'll post the first proper picture we produce from it on the 6D thread.

We've also got a deal on the 24-70 f4 IS, after colleagues in the States have been waxing lyrical about it, so we'll soon find out for ourselves if it does out perform the 24-105 in practice.

Upvote 0
Just as a point of information for those who have recently got a 6D or are considering one. One significant difference from the 5D line in terms of operation is the zoom functionality. I found it a little difficult at first, and still on occasion lapse into the other way of trying to magnify. The 6D actually has a good, logical system after you make the mental switch. To magnify, hit the zoom button and then you can use the scroll wheel near the shutter to zoom in and out. It actually is smoother than button mashing, but it is very different from other bodies and takes some mental adjustment.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Just as a point of information for those who have recently got a 6D or are considering one. One significant difference from the 5D line in terms of operation is the zoom functionality. I found it a little difficult at first, and still on occasion lapse into the other way of trying to magnify. The 6D actually has a good, logical system after you make the mental switch. To magnify, hit the zoom button and then you can use the scroll wheel near the shutter to zoom in and out. It actually is smoother than button mashing, but it is very different from other bodies and takes some mental adjustment.
That's exactly like the way 5Dmk3 behaves, too. The difference isn't between 5D series and 6D but between earlier models vs. both 6D and 5Dmk3.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
bradfordswood said:
Dustin, those last two shots are really great! Do you always set your ISO manually?

I'd be interested to find out what folks are using as the high threshold for Auto ISO on the 6D. I am on a 60D now, and use 800 as my high threshold. Would love a camera I could set to 3200 or 6400 as my high threshold with low noise!

Don't most people set their ISO manually?

C

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
bradfordswood said:
Dustin, those last two shots are really great! Do you always set your ISO manually?

I'd be interested to find out what folks are using as the high threshold for Auto ISO on the 6D. I am on a 60D now, and use 800 as my high threshold. Would love a camera I could set to 3200 or 6400 as my high threshold with low noise!

C

I almost always set ISO manually, but the 6D is the first body that I sometimes set AUTO ISO (I shoot manual almost exclusively). Two reasons: 1) the 6D almost always gets it right, and I do this when I want to hold a certain shutter speed (wildlife or event shooting) and 2) the high ISO performance of the 6D means that I'm not scared to shooting anything up to its normal limit (ISO 25,600) as these shots I posted today show.

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
bradfordswood said:

C

I almost always set ISO manually, but the 6D is the first body that I sometimes set AUTO ISO (I shoot manual almost exclusively). Two reasons: 1) the 6D almost always gets it right, and I do this when I want to hold a certain shutter speed (wildlife or event shooting) and don't have time to be more deliberate and 2) the high ISO performance of the 6D means that I'm not scared to shooting anything up to its normal limit (ISO 25,600) as these shots I posted today show.

Upvote 0
How amazing is the High ISO performance on this camera? I love the retention of detail, and the fine, grain-like noise that in many shots is actually an ASSET.

Here's two examples of ISO 25,600. I was shocked to find that I loved the results!

Grandma's Piano by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

ISO 25600 - No Noise Reduction by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Those are incredibly clean for ISO 25600, wow. Are these out of camera uncropped or have you done any post-processing to them?

Upvote 0
Dustin,
I currently have a 60D and would someday like to go full frame but the 5DMIII is way out of my price range. So the 6D is definitely appealing from a price perspective but I have the same list of concerns you mentioned in you blog post - so it was nice to read your views and see the wonderful images you've captured with the 6D. Anyway, since you have (had) a 60D also, can you compare the OUTER points of the 60D to the 6D. I frequently use the outer points and that is a concern to me. Are the 60D outer AF points better since they're cross type?

Upvote 0
rh18 said:
Dustin,
I currently have a 60D and would someday like to go full frame but the 5DMIII is way out of my price range. So the 6D is definitely appealing from a price perspective but I have the same list of concerns you mentioned in you blog post - so it was nice to read your views and see the wonderful images you've captured with the 6D. Anyway, since you have (had) a 60D also, can you compare the OUTER points of the 60D to the 6D. I frequently use the outer points and that is a concern to me. Are the 60D outer AF points better since they're cross type?

I don't recall the outer points working better on the 60D, but I haven't compared them head to head, either. I can say that I use the outer points on the 6D without hesitation. Under most conditions they work perfectly well.

Upvote 0
MathieuB said:
How amazing is the High ISO performance on this camera? I love the retention of detail, and the fine, grain-like noise that in many shots is actually an ASSET.

Here's two examples of ISO 25,600. I was shocked to find that I loved the results!

Grandma's Piano by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

ISO 25600 - No Noise Reduction by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Those are incredibly clean for ISO 25600, wow. Are these out of camera uncropped or have you done any post-processing to them?

The first shot has had about 1/8th cropped off to give a more flattering perspective. It also has a one click color preset applied in LR, but that affects color only. I have done no additional noise reduction to it. The second shot is uncropped and is only processed by a one click B&W conversion in LR as well as a slight reduction in exposure and highlights. I exposed for his skin, so I needed to lower everything else a hair. Again, no additional noise reduction done. My standard import settings are about an 8 luminance noise and 25 color noise slider in LR. I don't try to eliminate the "grain" because it is nicely uniform and adds to the image. Too much noise reduction comes at the price of a loss of sharpness. I actually think the final look of these images is really clean without noise reduction.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.