Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Dylan777 said:
Sporgon said:
6D ? 5D Mkiii ?

Blah - they're both toys compared with a 1Dx.

The tittle of this topic is "Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII"

Oooops, someone doesn't have my sense of irony :D My point is that the 6 and 5D are actually much closer to each other than many people would like to believe, and Dustin has given a hands on summary of the 6D's strengths.

For myself, if the 6D was identical to the 5D Mkiii but retained the 6D sensor, AF, size and speed, and they were exactly the same price, I would buy the 6D. I've mentioned in an earlier post much preferring the non LCD overlay screen.

When you look at it this way the price of the 6D makes it better value - for me. ;)

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
zim said:
Thank you for the review Dustin I'm struggling to disagree with any of that and to quote Tara I too "have been over thinking which body to purchase."

Anyone familiar with this set of comparisons? I’m looking at differences between the 5D3 and 6D and would like to know if these pics are valid i.e. not processed in some way or fixed to benefit one over the other.

http://www.etherpilot.com/photo/test/misc/6d_5d3_d600_colfix.jpg

I don't think that I would make the decision based on image quality - either of these will produce stunning images. Part of the point that I am making is that spending the extra money will not improve your still image quality. The more advanced AF of the 5D3 might improve the KIND of images you can make (if you are shooting sports or birds), but, like some of the images I submitted, the 6D might also give you some other creative options because of being able to control the camera remotely. I got the 6D the day after I had been out shooting long exposures in -35F/-37C weather with my 5D2. I realized that if I had the 6D, I could have controlled those same exposures from my iPad while sitting in the car. Now that didn't sound so bad!!

I think I would make the decision based more on the feature set. What kind of photography are you going to do? Which camera offers the feature set that you need?

I agree Dustin the 5d3 is a fantastic camera but totalling up the features *I* would like with my photo needs especially for this year (special year) I'm pretty well settled on the 6D feature list it also gives me much more head room to get a couple of L lenses. Your review really did help to consolidate this though so thanks again. The question about the link was a throw away really after all if the 6D does actually have measurably better performance like that page suggests then all the better! Of course it doesn't mean that the 5D3 isn't a better overall camera.

Regards

Upvote 0
joshmurrah said:
The 6D has better IQ/DR than a 5D3?? Citation?

Here are a couple, although I have read this in many reviews: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171136

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/836|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/795|0/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28appareil3%29/483|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

I have not owned or used a 5D3, so I can't speak from experience, but some pretty well established testing sites have come to the same conclusion regarding IQ and overall noise. I can certainly attest to significantly (noticeably) superior results to my 5D2, which I am very familiar with.

Man it's been a day or two and these various threads have BLOWN UP since then.

Just wanted to say thanks for the citations, and the petapixel article was especially illuminating (pun)... the PP article really shows how much we're splitting hairs versus the 5D2 tho.

I believe, as I have seen it said elsewhere, that there's a LOT more than the sensor when choosing the camera, and the 5D3 is still worth the $1k premium for me, especially since I'm replacing a 7D (higher FPS, more/better AF points).

Upvote 0
For me it's simple. Price. I'm a hobbyist and I'm not (yet??) good enough to exploit any technical differences between 5DIII & 6D. I wanted to move to Full Frame from an entry level 1000D that'd I've had for 4 years and learnt a lot with. The GPS & Wifi work for me and are useful, I don't care about a second card slot.

As Helen Sotiriadis (who's a far better photographer than I'll ever be) says in her review of her new 6D:
this camera has only one card slot but, in all honesty, i don’t miss the second slot. i’ve never had a card fail on me (and i don’t treat them very well) and i’m conscientious about backing up my files as soon as possible, so the probability of losing a shoot is minimal. i also speak from the perspective of not having to shoot once-in-a-lifetime events. i don’t do weddings or christenings to be too nervous about it... still, in previous years, nobody had double slots and they shot these events just fine. if i were to shoot a wedding, i’d span the day’s events over more cards so as not to risk losing too much if a card failed.

Upvote 0
joshmurrah said:
joshmurrah said:
The 6D has better IQ/DR than a 5D3?? Citation?

Here are a couple, although I have read this in many reviews: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171136

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/836|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/795|0/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28appareil3%29/483|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

I have not owned or used a 5D3, so I can't speak from experience, but some pretty well established testing sites have come to the same conclusion regarding IQ and overall noise. I can certainly attest to significantly (noticeably) superior results to my 5D2, which I am very familiar with.

Man it's been a day or two and these various threads have BLOWN UP since then.

Just wanted to say thanks for the citations, and the petapixel article was especially illuminating (pun)... the PP article really shows how much we're splitting hairs versus the 5D2 tho.

I believe, as I have seen it said elsewhere, that there's a LOT more than the sensor when choosing the camera, and the 5D3 is still worth the $1k premium for me, especially since I'm replacing a 7D (higher FPS, more/better AF points).

I think you will be pleased with the 5D3 - it is the more feature rich camera and does have a superior AF system. As you will find from others that responded in this thread (and to me personally), the thought of getting equal or marginally superior image quality from a camera with a much lower price tag edges them towards the 6D. I think that we are fortunate as Canon users to have two very competent models to choose from.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ontario, Canada

You're really lucky to have real snowy landscapes there, in Germany (Berlin) most of the winter is rather dull and I'm very hard pressed to find anything remotely interesting that is not grey :-\ ... but nice landscape shots there, though for my personal taste some are a bit too hdr'ish/"postcard"-colorful.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Ontario, Canada

You're really lucky to have real snowy landscapes there, in Germany (Berlin) most of the winter is rather dull and I'm very hard pressed to find anything remotely interesting that is not grey :-\ ... but nice landscape shots there, though for my personal taste some are a bit too hdr'ish/"postcard"-colorful.

We certainly have our grey moments, too. I do a variety of styles, and my personal preference is vivid but realistic. The first one in this series above is almost straight out of camera - it was just a vivid morning. The last one above is about heavy handed as I go with color.

Upvote 0
I do a variety of styles, and my personal preference is vivid but realistic.

Right, I have my experiences with "realistic" too - esp. if it's an exotic setting back @home nobody will believe you it *really* looked like that, and the blue color in your first shot falls in the category "nearly too nice to be true" - I guess that's what digital signatures on CR2 files are for :)

Upvote 0
I'm really enjoying the 6D as a landscape model. The dynamic range and slightly smoother color have given me a lot of options in shooting. I've been uploading a series to Flickr all from the 6D. Here's the one I put up today:

Winter's Splendor #5 - Frosted by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

Dude, I want to be you when I grow up.
Or neuro...
Mind you, I may very well be older :)

Upvote 0
perperub said:
Only thing stopping me from getting a 6D is a price drop *hoping* :)

Would you people stop recommending the 6d and resume bashing it again - this way the price will never go down :p ... or only at a rate of 5€/week like now, I hope 6d will reach market saturation in the next time so that there'll be a bigger jump.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.