Why I Chose a Canon EOS 6D over a 5D MKIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
cayenne said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
<snip>
Not to mention the evil eye i was getting from my fiancee when i'd bring up the second body issue. It took a lot of talks on the porch to convince her that the 6d even was a valid and needed purchase.

Hmm...hey, if you've not tied the knot yet, she has no say in how you spend you're money man....so, don't sweat that.

;)

And man, just thinking...are you going to have to confer with her for everything you want or need to get for your business ? You might need to set some things straight before you actually make it legal...

Just sayin'...

C

That won't be an issue. She does give the evil eye whenever i say, look at what I just snagged.. (usually because i end up following that up with, maybe we should stay in tonight because I can't afford to go out...LOL)...it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year, hard to justify buying anything right now that isn't wedding related...add in coughing up first month, last month, and security deposit and yeah, you end up with money being very tight.

Upvote 0
thgmuffin said:
Auto-import in LR and wifi transfer with eos utility! Too bad you can't take pics when it is transferring. You can only do this when viewing on a device

No, that's not true. I just connected to my 6D from my laptop and fired off 10 quick shots on the camera (not using the computer), and they sync'd to Lightroom (via WFT and EOS Utility) over the next 20sec or so (JPEGs only, RAW take ~15sec each). The camera seems to send images to the laptop asynchronously from the buffer. Certainly fast enough for the studio-type shooting I've done, and you don't have to wait for the transfers to complete.

It's not clear from the user interface, but when you open the EOS Utility's Remote Shooting menu, you can interchangeably shoot from the computer *and* from the camera and the images still transfer via WFT. I just tried it to make sure.

Here's the tutorial I used to set up my system: http://www.p4pictures.com/2013/01/eos-6d-wifi-tethered-shooting-to-lightroom/. Pretty slick.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning. Good luck with this. Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
it's just hard when your wedding is going to end up costing close to or more than I make in a year

Not to hijack the thread, but this is very concerning. Good luck with this. Weddings don't have to cost that much.

We originally wanted to go small...but my fiancee's mom is like super into it, and willing to pay a good chunk of the cost...so what was gonna be around 50 people backyard reception is now 250 people at about $55 a head...

Note...when i say yearly income, this is only my second season doing this...so I'll probably cap out in the 20-30K range before all the cost of doing business stuff...wedding total is probably gonna land in the 20-25k range...her mom is gonna pick up the tab for the reception, and my parents are chipping in too...so out of pocket my fiancee and i will probably be dropping like 5-7k..then add honeymoon to that...relativly speaking its not so bad, but my income isn't what it should be yet...and see, it's not hijacking, because this is why the 6d made much more sense as a backup than a second 5d3!....lol

Not to hijack the thread either, but whose wedding is it anyway?

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

Upvote 0
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

I've been married over 25 years (only 20 to the current wife ;) ) and I can give you one piece of advice. Do not let your mother in law take charge of anything. It will set a bad precedent and it can become a slippery slope. I've seen it in too many of my friends to count. It's your wedding, and it's your marriage, not hers. It doesn't matter who's paying.

If there's time to get out of the big wedding, do it now! You two have the rest of your lives to do what the two of you want.

wow did I open a can of worms. Note, the REASON I was thinking small was mostly because my income. Once fiancee's mom said she wants to cover things that actually put me at ease. All I was really trying to say is that this was a big factor in making my backup body choice. There are other factors, like having the cash to get myself into bridal shows. The 2 I am currently enrolled in are $500 and $895 (that one may be cheaper if I decide to run an ad in the hosting companies bridal planner). Both together - that's $1395 ---very close to the difference in price between the 6d and the 5d3. How much income will I gain from either a owning a second mk3 or b, having a booth at a bridal show? My guess is that those bridal shows will pay for a second mk3 much faster thant the mk3 alone would earn me enough for bridals shows or lenses!!!

That brings me to glass - been eyeing the 24mm 1.4, the 100 2.8 macro, and the 135mm 2.0. The 24 is just about the difference in price between a 5d3 and a 6d, the other 2 are a little cheaper but not exactly cheap!

So my wedding isn't, and wasn't the only factor leading to the choice. It was made by reading a ton of reviews, looking at images, and evaluating the body via rental. Are there things that bug me about the 6d? For sure there are, but for the cost, I really enjoy what it brings to the table. And so far, my clients like what's coming out of it too, as client print selections are at about 65% 5d3, 35% 6d (only reason for that is because the mk3 does get more use, afterall it is the better camera so why wouldn't it!!!!)

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
Chuck Alaimo said:
wow did I open a can of worms. Note, the REASON I was thinking small was mostly because my income. Once fiancee's mom said she wants to cover things that actually put me at ease. All I was really trying to say is that this was a big factor in making my backup body choice. There are other factors, like having the cash to get myself into bridal shows. The 2 I am currently enrolled in are $500 and $895 (that one may be cheaper if I decide to run an ad in the hosting companies bridal planner). Both together - that's $1395 ---very close to the difference in price between the 6d and the 5d3. How much income will I gain from either a owning a second mk3 or b, having a booth at a bridal show? My guess is that those bridal shows will pay for a second mk3 much faster thant the mk3 alone would earn me enough for bridals shows or lenses!!!

That brings me to glass - been eyeing the 24mm 1.4, the 100 2.8 macro, and the 135mm 2.0. The 24 is just about the difference in price between a 5d3 and a 6d, the other 2 are a little cheaper but not exactly cheap!

So my wedding isn't, and wasn't the only factor leading to the choice. It was made by reading a ton of reviews, looking at images, and evaluating the body via rental. Are there things that bug me about the 6d? For sure there are, but for the cost, I really enjoy what it brings to the table. And so far, my clients like what's coming out of it too, as client print selections are at about 65% 5d3, 35% 6d (only reason for that is because the mk3 does get more use, afterall it is the better camera so why wouldn't it!!!!)

You did open a can of worms. Haha! Still, remember what I said about mothers in law. Set boundaries early and stick to them. My two were both lovely ladies (well one was - she and I remained "friendly" until her recent death - and one is) but they both knew that my wife was my wife first and their daughter second. My current mother in law, whom I love, and I get along just fine as a result of having set boundaries early, and have for over 20 years.

Back to the situation. I agree wholeheartedly with your decisions. Getting better glass is likely to be more cost effective vis-a-vis getting a second 5D3.

Getting started is hard and choices need to be made. A 5D3/6D combination is very sensible and hardly a compromise. I agree that the client print selection is more about use and use case than it being the "better" camera. If you're shooting from the back of a dark church, something you may find yourself forced to do a time or two, that extra low light focusing may come in handy. On the other hand, faster action on the dance floor, or during bouquet toss, etc, is when you're likely to pick up the camera with the more sophisticated focus and more fps, unless it's really dark. Having a backup card in the camera affords a nice bit of security as well...

Upvote 0
Do the small wedding my friend. Wife and I were going to do a huge one but sat down and though just how much it was not worth it to us (may be to you).
We do not yet have a house (3k sq foot apt), and that's a boat load of money that could be used for that.

We just went away to siesta key and took some friends...saved a boat load of cash and still had the time of our lives.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Back on topic I have had my heart set on a 5d3 for a long time but am still considering the 6d.
Its anguish as I could get the 6d now or wait a few months (nov) and get the 5d3....problem is I have no patience.

Scott

Upvote 0
Unfortunately there are no camera stores where I live that carry full frame cameras so I had to drive three hours to compare models before I made my purchase. I quickly discovered that the 7D is to the 60D what the 5Diii is to the 6D. I just want to point this out to those that may be in a similar situation I was. If you're standing at a counter and you pick up a 60D and a 7D and look them over for a few minutes, then set them down and go pick up a 5Diii and a 6D you'll get deja vu.

I had a 60D and eventually discovered it's limitations that made me wish I had the 7D. When it came time to upgrade to full frame, I went with the 5Diii. Not a day goes by that I regret my decision.

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
wsgroves said:
Back on topic I have had my heart set on a 5d3 for a long time but am still considering the 6d.
Its anguish as I could get the 6d now or wait a few months (nov) and get the 5d3....problem is I have no patience.

Sunday is the first of September. November is not that far away. I love my 6D but if you have your heart set on a 5D3 it's likely that you will be disappointed, depending of course on what your planned uses are. You could wind up selling your 6D at a loss because it's "been driven out of the showroom" and then still buying the 5D3 having spent more in the process.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2013
Jim O said:
wsgroves said:

Sunday is the first of September. November is not that far away. I love my 6D but if you have your heart set on a 5D3 it's likely that you will be disappointed, depending of course on what your planned uses are. You could wind up selling your 6D at a loss because it's "been driven out of the showroom" and then still buying the 5D3 having spent more in the process.

Agreed. You're far better off with a month of anguish than years of it when you have a 6D and lament the fact that you could have/should have gotten that 5D3. I've seen so many people on various forums wondering if the next model of whatever happens to be available will be better and I usually question how many photos they'll miss waiting for a year or more for that camera that may come. In your case, I hope that a month won't be a great lose photo-wise and think of how great you'll sleep knowing you got what you really wanted. Good luck.

Upvote 0
wsheldon said:
thgmuffin said:
Auto-import in LR and wifi transfer with eos utility! Too bad you can't take pics when it is transferring. You can only do this when viewing on a device

No, that's not true. I just connected to my 6D from my laptop and fired off 10 quick shots on the camera (not using the computer), and they sync'd to Lightroom (via WFT and EOS Utility) over the next 20sec or so (JPEGs only, RAW take ~15sec each). The camera seems to send images to the laptop asynchronously from the buffer. Certainly fast enough for the studio-type shooting I've done, and you don't have to wait for the transfers to complete.

It's not clear from the user interface, but when you open the EOS Utility's Remote Shooting menu, you can interchangeably shoot from the computer *and* from the camera and the images still transfer via WFT. I just tried it to make sure.

Here's the tutorial I used to set up my system: http://www.p4pictures.com/2013/01/eos-6d-wifi-tethered-shooting-to-lightroom/. Pretty slick.

Thanks for the info. This is great especially when you want to show the client immediately what's been shot so far.

Upvote 0
Just adding my 2 cents into this thread. I am a college student and therefore have a lot less money in the pot. So I had been wanting to upgrade for some time now and some very good friends let me borrow a 6D and a 70-200. After shooting an entire wedding, I felt completely confident that I did not need the 5DIII. Yes a couple of instances would be nice, but I found the super sensitive center point very helpful in the low-light conditions of the reception hall. Plus being able to use ISO 800 and 1600 without a single worry was nice. So I decided to buy a 6D and got it yesterday. I haven't been able to play too much with it, but I have already pushed the low-light during the wedding. I also used the extra $1000 to buy a Tamron 24-70 VC although the first copy was super soft and am in the process of exchanging for a second.

So overall, I felt the advantages of the 5DIII didn't outweigh the cost benefit of getting a new lens and a new body for the same price as the 5DIII body only.

Upvote 0
Do we really need 12 pages for something as simple as this.

If money is no issue
-1DX is the best camera

If money is an issue, then you start asking whether
-its worth paying for specific features
-are those features important for type of photography it is being used for

Since both the answers are highly subjective, every answer is going to be the correct one
Even choosing 70D over 5DIII maybe a good decision for someone

Why should one seek forum approvals for these subjective decisions and/or try to convince others....

Upvote 0
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Upvote 0
petach said:
Jim O said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

Bad enough Mi-Law taking over wedding......even worse when (years later) you realise your wife has morphed into your Mi-Law.

Haha I'm watching my sis in law morph into her mom and it's not a pretty sight !!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.