Why I Switched from Sony to Canon by Armando Ferreira

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:

<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/et3T6PQ2YLk" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Professional Armando Ferreira has done a video explaining why he switched from the Sony A7S II to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV for video.</p>
<p>Canon seems to get hammered on the forums for a perceived “lack of innovation”, but here we have another professional that shoots mainly on Canon gear.</p>
<p><strong>A few of the reasons Armando moved to Canon.</strong></p>

<ul>
<li>Canon color</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF</li>
<li>Menu system</li>
<li>The codec (Gah?!)</li>
<li>Native EF mount</li>
</ul>
<p>Thanks Armando for sending this in and it’s nice to see some positive thoughts on Canon gear for video.</p>
<p><em>Full disclosure: I’m obviously a Canon fanboy, and I’m ok with that.</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
He makes the same points that others here make, the 5D MK IV is a very user friendly tool, you get excellent results, and the DPAF is a very good feature. I like the touch to focus and use it whenever I can. One of the big benefits is that the point I touch is exposure linked, so not only does the camera focus at the point I touch, but exposure is adjusted for that point as well.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Cool video!

A decade plus ago, I switched from Nikon to Canon because of the colors, too. He hits most of the stuff that I care about -- menus, glass, battery life, universal nature of LP6 battery, dual pixel, how it's just easier and faster to get from what you shoot to a finished product, etc.

Interesting what he said about 4k video and clog, not that I'll ever care about video.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Talys said:
Cool video!
Interesting what he said about 4k video and clog, not that I'll ever care about video.
Everything he said is about video, if you don't care about video then what he said should not mean anything to you.

I would be more careful when someone says this is why I moved from this to this, whether it is from Canon to Sony, or Sony to Nikon or whatever. They say it because of what they use the gear for. If you take that as a guidance of which camera is better then you may end up eating false info, unless you shoot exactly what they do.
He wouldn't praise the Canon codec if he needs 60fps 4K.
I praise it because I use JPG frame grab, while my friend hates it because he has to buy expensive CFAST; you cannot even export the damn thing through HDMI.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
A few of the reasons Armando moved to Canon.

Canon color
Dual Pixel AF
Menu system
The codec
Native EF mount

I have been hammering Sony for their awful menu system. Sony fans claim I have not used Sony cameras extensively. Glad I am not the only one who thinks Sony's menu system totally s***s (same goes for their ergonomics).

Upvote 0
Woody said:
horshack said:
Sony hasn't added PDAF to their A7s line yet - it's expected in the next iteration, probably announced in a few months at NAB.

Ain't no matter. Without touchscreens, it does not matter how well Sony's PDAF works in the A7S line.

Why wouldn't Sony add a touchscreen to the next A7s? They've added it in every other of their MILC model refreshes.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
Can someone help me.... who is he? And where can I see some of his "real" work that isn't just videos on gadgets on YT?

Is he one of those Peter McKinnon / "Travel Feels" types?

I mean people who are giving advice based on... well... nothing....

I don't see Robert Richardson or Roger Deakins making youtube videos, but at least those guys have some experience.

Upvote 0
The video is pointless, he's preaching to the wrong group. None of the Sony fanboys will give two hoots about what he says. He's the equivalent of the one climate denying scientist to them. Canon's entered a point where the media aren't even listening anymore, nothing they do is really good enough now. They had better hope their mirrorless camera is brilliant or the trash we get now against them will be nothing to compared to what will happen if it's another feature lite, ho hum offering.

Upvote 0
Dec 21, 2010
If you need 4k, this isn't even a topic (5D4's 4k is cropped). If you need to shoot in LOG, SLog is slightly better for color correction than 5D4's CLog, simply because 5D4's sensor isn't the same ones used in the C-series cameras.

I would pick the 5D4 for photo over the a7s2 any day, but I also would use the a7s2 for video over the 5D4 any day based on my own needs.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Besisika said:
Talys said:
Cool video!
Everything he said is about video, if you don't care about video then what he said should not mean anything to you.

I would be more careful when someone says this is why I moved from this to this, whether it is from Canon to Sony, or Sony to Nikon or whatever. They say it because of what they use the gear for. If you take that as a guidance of which camera is better then you may end up eating false info, unless you shoot exactly what they do.
He wouldn't praise the Canon codec if he needs 60fps 4K.
I praise it because I use JPG frame grab, while my friend hates it because he has to buy expensive CFAST; you cannot even export the damn thing through HDMI.

It's simply untrue that everything "Everything he said is about video, if you don't care about video then what he said should not mean anything to you."

1. Preference for Canon colors science applies to photography as it does for video.
2. LPE6 batteries and battery life apply to photography equally
3. Native EF Mount preference
4. Menu system
5. Dual Pixel AF is awesome for video, but it is ALSO great in live view photography.

For me, #1-4 are very important reasons to prefer Canon. #5 is not a huge deal, only because I tend to AF through the viewfinder, mostly; however, DPAF is a superior live view autofocus system to competitors' implementations, in my opinion.

Personally, I would also add build quality, ergonomics, and unparalleled availability of third party accessories, that range from very cheap to super-premium. The last one is actually pretty important to me - it's like, one reason to buy a Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone is an ecosystem of accessories that aren't available if you buy a Huawei or Acer.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
No question Canon makes great products. That’s why we push for them to have better video. Canon 5DIVs are suitable for his level of production and workflow but the video features don’t measure up for most professionals. 4K crop, no 4K out, no 4K/60p or 1080/120p etc. We can only hope that the Canon FF mirrorless and next generation of DSLRs can improve upon this so they can once again hold the torch for hybrid hybrid video / photo shooters.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
dash2k8 said:
If you need 4k,

That is my biggest question in these discussions - how many need 4K and how many want it because it is the new cool tech?
From what I see customers don't give a damn if something is 4k or high-res 1080. And watching in youtube who can see the difference? Given most pros use 1080 for things like films and documentaries and no-one watches those and whines about lack of detail. This looks to me like a guy who knows what is good enough and what customers will accept.
Yes, some people need it but 'most'......m'eh.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Mikehit said:
dash2k8 said:
If you need 4k,

That is my biggest question in these discussions - how many need 4K and how many want it because it is the new cool tech?
From what I see customers don't give a damn if something is 4k or high-res 1080. And watching in youtube who can see the difference? Given most pros use 1080 for things like films and documentaries and no-one watches those and whines about lack of detail. This looks to me like a guy who knows what is good enough and what customers will accept.
Yes, some people need it but 'most'......m'eh.

Sigh...it’s the same old argument. Name brand OEM 4K TV’s are down to $400 or less this holiday season. We’re just talking about image quality and future proofing at this point with so many 4K TVs being sold. It’s embarrassing for Canon that so few of their cameras have this technology.

Not to mention you fundamentally don’t understand how 4K is used in web video. Much of 4K is used to recrop / reframe and for extra resolution for a 1080p finish. That nice, crisp 1080p video you like? Shot in 4K.

Thankfully, now with the vlog-crowd starting to use 4K on the GH5 and assorted Sonys, it will only be a matter of time before Canon is forced to include more competitive 4K in its stills lineup. And then we can put this to bed.

Upvote 0